NECA - Pacific Rim

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's going on with the 18 incher? Is it out yet?

And notice how CelticP comments on the only poor quality figure of the series so far, rather than commenting on the greatness of Knifehead & Crimson Typhoon. :rolleyes:

Not to mention Leatherback isn't even out yet.

Anyone think that Gipsy Danger 18 inch figure's fingers are articulated as well ? I really hope that Neca made those articulated fingers, that touch will add up much more posing possibilities for the figures !

I've seen photos of it with both closed grip and open grip so I'm thinking it will have posable fingers. Or at least two sets of hands. Definitely can't wait to see more of this. Wish it came with two chain swords!

And notice how CelticP comments on the only poor quality figure of the series so far, rather than commenting on the greatness of Knifehead & Crimson Typhoon. :rolleyes:

:exactly:

I haven't really seen him post any positive comment about any NECA figs, why still buy em? :dunno

Anyways, 18" comes out next month, should be like second week of September. According to NECA.

Knifehead and Typhoon are OK. Nothing special. Wasn't a fan of their designs either way.

But that Leatherback looks like dump. Zero detail. But once again, i don't like that design.

It'a all about Otachi, Striker, Gipsy and Cherno.

:exactly:

I haven't really seen him post any positive comment about any NECA figs, why still buy em? :dunno

Anyways, 18" comes out next month, should be like second week of September. According to NECA.

I only buy the ones that are good. Which is rare. Most NECA figures suck due to horrible paint apps. Like every single Predator 2 figure.

The 18 inchers are good, the Aliens came out nice, and I love the Dutch's. But the rest?

:dunno

Knifehead and Crimson Typhoon are much better than "OK". Especially Typhoon. Also, they're cheaper than most of NECA's other figures at $14.99.

The first wave of Prometheus figs including the two-pack have great paint work. All the Dutch figures are truly stunning, probably the highest quality NECA figures to date. I agree that a lot of the predators have poor paint apps, but there's a handful that are decent to good.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of their Gremlin and Terminator figures also.

I don't get why you have this weird grudge against NECA and love for McFarlane. :dunno :lol

SDCC_2013_NECA_Friday-068.jpg

gotta say... that's the most gorgeous 18" piece of plastic i've ever laid my eyes on. neca should have waited for that proto before taking pre-order instead of using this crappy promo pic:

970885_473582906055981_196285702_n.jpg

many would have po-ed then, rather than now when the po price is already up. it cost me another extra $40 to po now here in asia.

gotta say... that's the most gorgeous 18" piece of plastic i've ever laid my eyes on. neca should have waited for that proto before taking pre-order instead of using this crappy promo pic:

many would have po-ed then, rather than now when the po price is already up. it cost me another extra $40 to po now here in asia.

Looks pretty damn sweet indeed!!! Can't wait. I just really hope the elbows bend more than the smaller one.

Knifehead and Crimson Typhoon are much better than "OK". Especially Typhoon. Also, they're cheaper than most of NECA's other figures at $14.99.

The first wave of Prometheus figs including the two-pack have great paint work. All the Dutch figures are truly stunning, probably the highest quality NECA figures to date. I agree that a lot of the predators have poor paint apps, but there's a handful that are decent to good.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of their Gremlin and Terminator figures also.

I don't get why you have this weird grudge against NECA and love for McFarlane. :dunno :lol

I haven't said anything about McFarlane since last year. Get up to date.

But NECA, while they're doing better, infuriated me with their arrogance. "We're the best and most accurate company ever created and we make better products then anyone!" Then I see the products....lol.

When they get a hit, they get a hit. When they miss, the fail hard. It's been this way since they first came about. I've been buying from them since their birth. I know how they work. It's frustrating when they finally make a figure you've been waiting for, only to see them look like dump. I used to have to paint every NECA figure I got because of the putrid paint apps.

But that's neither here nor there. Leatherback looks bad. Real bad. He looks soft, and nothing like the actual monster. But no real loss, because I had no need for him. Gipsy 18inch looks great, which I said, might want to do a bit o reading before you accuse me, so i'm getting that for sure.

I just noticed, the Gypsy Danger in the proto-photo isn't even the 18" proto-type, its the 7" retail figure. Can't believe i missed that before, but look at the mid section and hip joints, it's just the 7" figure with graphics talking about the features the 18" version will have.

I understand the desire to get some promo material out there, but personally i think its a bad move to use a much lower detail figure to try and sell something that will ultimately look a lot better.

First impressions count.

I will say that NECA is pretty notorious for having absolutely brilliant prototypes, and having a serious drop in quality when their production pieces come out. I was looking at my McFarlane pieces back when they were making stuff more than just sports, and even today the figs still look amazing, as well as the paint apps.

Having said all that, NECA are definitely upping their game. The 18" P1 looks fantastic, and their Series 7 and 9 P1 and P2 figs look great. Jungle Disguise Dutch also looks amazing.

But then you have Hudson, and their Ash figures, which look terrible (the face).

Pacific Rim rocks!!!

I got my preorder in early for the Neca 18" Gypsy Danger. $90 USD for a detailed bot with large size is too good to pass up. The prototype shown at 2013 San Diego Comic-Con looks nicely weathered too. Neca might be decreasing the gap between them and Hot Toys.

Now only if they'd get the larger Knifehead released too. Would be nice to put next to my large Cloverfield monster.

Last edited:
I will say that NECA is pretty notorious for having absolutely brilliant prototypes, and having a serious drop in quality when their production pieces come out.

Lately, the Capt. America looked pretty good. Not the quality face paint of a Hot Toys, but pretty good for what is 1/3 the price of Hot Toys and a larger size.

When they get a hit, they get a hit. When they miss, the fail hard. It's been this way since they first came about. I've been buying from them since their birth. I know how they work. It's frustrating when they finally make a figure you've been waiting for, only to see them look like dump. I used to have to paint every NECA figure I got because of the putrid paint apps.

yup. it's their inconsistencies that sometimes can be frustrating to me as well. the uncertainty of never knowing how the final product will turn out makes me wary to pre-order their stuffs. they've been in the business for a while now, so a solid habit should have formed by now. so i dont understand how they could go from terminator(cool) to rambo(crap), from dutch to lone ranger, etc. they keep swinging from one extreme to the next. the paint app can also be scary bad.

I will say that NECA is pretty notorious for having absolutely brilliant prototypes, and having a serious drop in quality when their production pieces come out. I was looking at my McFarlane pieces back when they were making stuff more than just sports, and even today the figs still look amazing, as well as the paint apps.

Having said all that, NECA are definitely upping their game. The 18" P1 looks fantastic, and their Series 7 and 9 P1 and P2 figs look great. Jungle Disguise Dutch also looks amazing.
they've been upping their game for a while now, but still, they like to remind us now and again how crappy they can be.

of course, some fanboys like to make the case that you shouldnt accept excellence for the price, that it's 'good enough' for $15, that they're not hot toys. i'd agree with that IF neca has never once made a cool fig. but they have, and for $15 too. so you can throw that lame defense to the gutter. neca's 18" pred has better sculpt than hot toys; their conan, dutch, gremlins, etc are just as great as the best of mcf's. so yeah i'm a fan, but they really need to get their **** together and stay at their best game.

I just noticed, the Gypsy Danger in the proto-photo isn't even the 18" proto-type, its the 7" retail figure. Can't believe i missed that before, but look at the mid section and hip joints, it's just the 7" figure with graphics talking about the features the 18" version will have.

I understand the desire to get some promo material out there, but personally i think its a bad move to use a much lower detail figure to try and sell something that will ultimately look a lot better.

First impressions count.

yeah it's the 7". the difference is night and day. i skipped the po when the promo pic was released, then po-ed right away after the sdcc pic. by then the po price had already gone up from $80 to $120 here in my end of the world. so that one promo pic actually costs me $40.

dont make me regret it, neca.

Back