NECA Back to the Future

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShadowX81, I somehow deleted my post after you replied to it. I'm posting it again here:

a-dev, I was with you until the last sentence.

It is weird that George and Lorraine would allow Biff in their home, given that Biff tried to rape Lorraine in high school. But that isn't really the point, is it? The point is that the power dynamic has shifted. Biff is now a "lowly" laborer who answers to the rich and successful George. It's designed to stand in direct contrast to the original timeline, in which George was a pushover and a door mat for Biff. It's a victory of sorts for George, and it illustrates the happy and confident man that he's become in this new timeline. It also illustrates what a loser Biff truly is, seeing as how he now acts like a cheerful little toady for George.

As far as Biff being given credit for George and Lorraine getting together is concerned - it's not like the two of them hoisted Biff onto their shoulders while the whole family cheered for Biff with tears in their eyes. Look, George finally acted like a man and it won over Lorraine. George's actions are really what's responsible for the two of them getting together. Biff's role in it was merely incidental. And Biff comes out of it looking like a loser. It's like, "Hey, Biff, if I hadn't knocked your sorry ass out, Lorraine and I wouldn't be together right now. So thanks, buddy!" That's not exactly what I'd call paying compliments to Biff.

Nobody is rewarding Biff for attempted rape. That's not what the movie wants you to take away from it.

But cancel culture never takes intent, context, or nuance into account. So, sure, cancel it.

I grew up watching these movies and was like 5-6 when they came out, I had not context for what was going on with Biff and Loraine beyond thinking he was just trying to kiss her and she didn?t like it. It wasn?t until I was an adult and had understanding of more adult things that I realized he was going to take it further. Pretty sure the filmmakers felt they were being vague enough, it?s not like anyone?s clothes were off or anything, it?s us as adults who are reading into Biff?s intentions.

"But cancel culture never takes intent, context, or nuance into account."

Spot on. A better and more concise summing up of all that is wrong with it I have never read.

Another thing I noticed is that in BTTF2 it shows Biff waking up and still being an aggressive *********. He seems to have learned nothing and he actually tries to kill Marty in the tunnel. I got the impression poor George would basically have to fight Biff throughout the years until Biff learned or mellowed to the person he is in the changed 1985 time line.

Listen here Vulture Lives you ****ing assh- wait...wait, let me read your post before I cancel and pre-unfriend you......

ShadowX81, I somehow deleted my post after you replied to it. I'm posting it again here:

a-dev, I was with you until the last sentence.

It is weird that George and Lorraine would allow Biff in their home, given that Biff tried to rape Lorraine in high school. But that isn't really the point, is it? The point is that the power dynamic has shifted. Biff is now a "lowly" laborer who answers to the rich and successful George. It's designed to stand in direct contrast to the original timeline, in which George was a pushover and a door mat for Biff. It's a victory of sorts for George, and it illustrates the happy and confident man that he's become in this new timeline. It also illustrates what a loser Biff truly is, seeing as how he now acts like a cheerful little toady for George.

As far as Biff being given credit for George and Lorraine getting together is concerned - it's not like the two of them hoisted Biff onto their shoulders while the whole family cheered for Biff with tears in their eyes. Look, George finally acted like a man and it won over Lorraine. George's actions are really what's responsible for the two of them getting together. Biff's role in it was merely incidental. And Biff comes out of it looking like a loser. It's like, "Hey, Biff, if I hadn't knocked your sorry ass out, Lorraine and I wouldn't be together right now. So thanks, buddy!" That's not exactly what I'd call paying compliments to Biff.

Nobody is rewarding Biff for attempted rape. That's not what the movie wants you to take away from it.

But cancel culture never takes intent, context, or nuance into account. So, sure, cancel it.

Ok, good post. But I hope you realize I was in no way suggesting that I think BTTF should be cancelled. A previous poster had mentioned things about the movie that would not be done today and I'm still inclined to say they would seek to avoid any possible controversy with the Biff/Lorraine situation - even if that controversy were to arise out of misunderstanding of the messaging - and they would do it differently or not at all.

Last edited:
My post about them not making a movie like that today was mainly tongue in cheek!

Never mind avoiding controversial scenes I don't think writers today could come up with anything even half as good as something like BTTF. Movies these days lack the heart and soul of the films I grew up with. No sooner have I watched them then I have forgotten about them.

For better or worse, movies are a reflection of the times they were made in. Look at JAWS, today the Chief and mayor would be instantly forced to resign and sued after the boy is eaten at the beach, end of movie.

Listen here Vulture Lives you ****ing assh- wait...wait, let me read your post before I cancel and pre-unfriend you......

Ok, good post. But I hope you realize I was in no way suggesting that I think BTTF should be cancelled. A previous poster had mentioned things about the movie that would not be done today and I'm still inclined to say they would seek to avoid any possible controversy with the Biff/Lorraine situation - even if that controversy were to arise out of misunderstanding of the messaging - and they would do it differently or not at all.
lol it's all good. I understand where you're coming from. The movie probably would play out differently if it were made today. But it sounded like you were siding with cancel culture on that particular aspect of the movie, and I had to disagree. That's all.

lol it's all good. I understand where you're coming from. The movie probably would play out differently if it were made today. But it sounded like you were siding with cancel culture on that particular aspect of the movie, and I had to disagree. That's all.

No, only with regard to the following point, with which you seem to agree...

It is weird that George and Lorraine would allow Biff in their home, given that Biff tried to rape Lorraine in high school..

I understand the thrust of the messaging they were going with but it was built on the back of something that seems implausible, at least today - that George and Lorraine wouldn't do the 1950s equivalent of cancelling Biff! :lol

So if BTTF was ever remade they wouldn't port over that particular element and I think it'd be fair enough. But banning, censoring or altering the original film in any way, **** no.

Last edited:
While we're here looking at the film through today's social lens, let's not forget that just prior to Biff's attempted rape of Lorraine, she sexually assaulted Marty.

Clearly, a remake of BttF would see Lorraine in therapy to help her deal with these events.

No, only with regard to the following point, with which you seem to agree...

I understand the thrust of the messaging they were going with but it was built on the back of something that seems implausible, at least today - that George and Lorraine wouldn't do the 1950s equivalent of cancelling Biff! :lol

So if BTTF was ever remade they wouldn't port over that particular element and I think it'd be fair enough. But banning, censoring or altering the original film in any way, **** no.
I think we more or less agree on all points. I'm just not really bothered by the way that it plays out in the original. And I think it's lame that the producers of a remake would likely feel as though they couldn't port over that particular element.

It’d be real funny if they couldn’t make Doc. I’d be happy with just the Marty’s we’re getting.

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Neca never makes Doc.

Back