NECA Back to the Future

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like there will be more than what they've shown here and I hope they aren't just talking about the cartoon figures. You've gotta at least have Doc. If the line seems to bomb with both Marty and Doc available I could maybe accept them not wanting to continue - but Marty alone as a testing ground would not be giving it a reasonable chance IMO.

I think Doc in the white costume is a given. I don't see that many charcters from that film being very toyetic. Is BTTF THAT popular? Most of the cast are people in street clothes. George McFly that popular? :lol

BTTF2 is better suited for figures than part 1 because of the costumes, imo. Beef and Marty with their hover boards could be good figures, along with Doc in yellow. The Western look too, although I have no interest in BTTF3.

The car was always the key item and star of the franchise when it came to merchandise. Don't get me wrong, an ultimate Marty and Doc are cool, and I will get them, but I just don't see BTTF as an obvious franchise to make a large line of figures. Hell, not even the Rocky line which has like 8 movies and tons of costumes and villains could make it far because of low sales.

Yeah there's no way they make George, Lorraine or Biff. It's a 2 character franchise as far as action figures. And a car. The car seems very important, I agree.

This stole the show at Toyfair for me. I'm looking forward to seeing Doc and I'm probably buying doubles of that Marty just because it's something I never thought we would ever get.

Obviously, the main hang-ups will be getting the cast to sign off. Both Crispin Glover and Tom Wilson's feelings on the franchise are pretty well-established at this point.

Glover for sure, but Tom Wilson? Hasn't he been to a bunch of cons recently? Seems like he has no ill will towards the franchise. At least not recently.

Really exciting and surprising announcement between this and Defenders of the Earth. lol

Excited to hear they’re going all in on the line so hopefully we get the time machine or they at least think about crowdfunding it to make allotted quantities for collectors, like they did in the past for the Balrog or like Hasbro and Super7’s efforts for the Sail Barge and Snake Mountain.

Glover for sure, but Tom Wilson? Hasn't he been to a bunch of cons recently? Seems like he has no ill will towards the franchise. At least not recently.

I'm not sure of his current state of mind, but a few years back he got sort of snarky in response the the same set of questions, wrote a song about it, had a card printed up that he would just hand to people, he skipped out on a bunch of cons, this was back in 2010-2015.

Yeah there's no way they make George, Lorraine or Biff. It's a 2 character franchise as far as action figures. And a car. The car seems very important, I agree.
I think a Biff would sell if made. You could do various versions too. 1855 (Buford), 1955, and alternate 1985. Might not sell as well as Marty and Doc but I bet collectors would buy him. Beyond those three and a DeLorean I don’t see many more items selling.

I'm not familiar enough with what neca does to guess what characters they might make, but it seems to me that if they are making Darth Marty they might make Biff. He is the only real "villain" of the show. Likeness rights were brought up earlier, which I imagine could be a problem.

Plus it would be really fun trying to source fake manure to bury him under:)

I'm a big BTTF fan, so these surprise figures absolutely stole Toyfair for me- I pulled up Toyark multiple times over the weekend just to stare at the same pictures of them over and over!

The Michael J. Fox likenesses are definitely a bit off, but they seem on par with most of NECA's human likenesses in this scale (and I have several of them). I will definitely be getting the Part 1 Marty figure and will probably pick up the Tales from Space Marty if it's the only way to get his '80s camcorder. They obviously have Christopher Lloyd's likeness rights already (the animated series figure), so I also expect one or two Doc figures to be revealed at SDCC- I can't wait!

As for the Tom Wilson chatter, I met him at a convention last year to have him sign my BTTF Part 2 hoverboard (he even added "Biff" next to his name). He performed his "Back to the Future FAQs" song at a BTTF panel with Christopher Lloyd (it seems like he wrote the song to be very tongue-in-cheek, at least that's definitely how he performed it during the panel), and he was very energetic and seemed enthusiastic to be talking about the movies. I can't speak to how he felt or spoke about the movies anytime before that, though.

One of the hightlights of Toy Fair 2020. After Mattel canceled their planned BTTF action figure line a couple of years back (how come those concepts, prototypes, etc. never leaked?!) we are finally getting realistic action figures. I definitely hope they will offer more characters than Doc and Marty, ideally in two-packs with variations of Doc and Marty, so they won't pegwarm and end the line early. Like Johnny B. Goode Marty with highschool jacket 1955 Biff, etc. 2015 gold outfit Doc with Jennifer (two headsculpts ;) ).
This line definitely needs a 1955 George, Lorraine and last-but-not-least Mr. Strickland (exclusive).

I never expected this. I've wished for years they'd pick up the franchise but I had given up hope. Back to the Future is one of my favorite franchises, I've bought all the Hot Toys, including the Delorean. Hell, I've bought all the 1/18 diecast models and 1/24 models. Even the retro figures, so I'll buy everything Neca makes, including the cartoon stuff.

I'm not familiar enough with what neca does to guess what characters they might make, but it seems to me that if they are making Darth Marty they might make Biff. He is the only real "villain" of the show. Likeness rights were brought up earlier, which I imagine could be a problem.

Plus it would be really fun trying to source fake manure to bury him under:)
Reasoning for making radiation suit Marty seems evident to me. They’re likely doing or planning on doing Doc in his white radiation suit. So they can use a lot of the same molding. NECA does like to re-use molds a lot and does a lot of variants. They go deep on certain lines but not all of them.

I don't know how much recycling they can do with the radiation suit unless they plan to make Doc the same size as Marty the same way they made Lambert from Alien the same size as Dallas and Kane in the spacesuits.

They obviously have Christopher Lloyd's likeness rights already (the animated series figure)

They wouldn't need likeness rights for cartoon figures...but I imagine they wouldn't embark on this license if they didn't know if they could get Christopher Lloyd's likeness rights so yeah, I expect they do have it.

They wouldn't need likeness rights for cartoon figures...but I imagine they wouldn't embark on this license if they didn't know if they could get Christopher Lloyd's likeness rights so yeah, I expect they do have it.

They do, Doc will be at SDCC this year per NECA at the TF booth.

Back