Name a scene in a film/or just a film that people started clapping

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may date myself a bit but I remember people used to actually applaud at the credits if it was a really good movie. I remember seeing Raiders, all the original Star Wars films, E.T., and quite a few others. Not only clapping but standing ovation at the end. No one really seems to do that anymore.

I've been to plenty of midnight showings where they do that :dunno

Oh, Devil will like this one, people clapped at Predators, after Royce was falling and they cut to the "Predators" title. :lol

The Phantom Menace = Massive applause when the Fox fanfare started.......you could have heard a pin drop during the end credits.

Attack of the Clones = Huge laughter when Yoda started bouncing around.

Revenge of the Sith = A few cheers when Anakin turned against Padme and some laughter at the "Nooooooo!" scene.

Last edited:
I remember the crowd laughing hysterically at the bad acting of Luke going "noooooo nooooooooo noooooooooo that's not true, that's IMPOSSIBLE" in The Empire Strikes back.

When Yoda force pulled his saber in Attack of the Clones was the loudest applause I've ever heard in a theater.

When Aragorn chopped off the head of that big Org guy at the end of Fellowship of the Ring was another.

Oh yes....when Yoda busted out his lightsaber I could not even hear anything from the screen....people were just in awe....

Independence Day. Right after the aliens came down and blew the living hell out of everything the screen went black which said July 4. People went ape ____.

This is going back a bit...I think it was Friday the 13th Part VII(?), when Jason is going after these teenagers on a boat or something, and you hear the unmistakeable sound of a power tool revving up. The whole audience freaked out, and then you see Jason walk on-screen carrying some kind of circular saw. That was pretty cool.

The only two movies I've ever been in with any type of crowd reaction was in Return Of The King people started chanting Lord Of The Rings before the film started. The second was at the end of Forrest Gump people gave it a standing ovation. Never been in a movie where there is reaction during the film other than a scary movie and people screaming or comedy with people laughing.

Last edited:
I remember my brother taking me to see Return of the Jedi on opening day... I was only 10 and when Vader grabbed the Emperor to throw him down the shaft the entire audience exploded into cheers... I still get a little misty eyed thinking about it...

The only two movies I've ever been in with any type of crowd reaction was in Return Of The King people started chanting Lord Of The Rings before the film started. The second was at the end of Forrest Gump people gave it a standing ovation. Never been in a movie where there is reaction during the film other than a scary movie and people screaming or comedy with people laughing.
Bath house scene of Eastern Promises really excited the crowd I saw it with. They didn't cheer, of course, but people made shocked noises and were laughing. I had to tell the women sitting behind me to shut up when they kept going for about 5 minutes after it ended.

Biggest overall "response" I've seen at the theater was seeing Jackass.

I usually wait until a theater is as empty as my living room to see it, and if I happen to see something when it's not, I never remember the audience. Unless something is talking and I have to ask it to please be quiet.

Last edited:
Yep People in England clapped and cheered when Yoda got his Lightsaber ready for action in AOTC
There was a big round of applause at the end of Return of the King.
And I remember I went to see Karate Kid 2 and everybody went ape____, when Daniel started beating the crap out of the bad kid at the end.
And I once had a big WTF moment when people in the Tracy mall movie theater in California, applauded the end of Armageddon. I was like, you're kidding me?

Yep People in England clapped and cheered when Yoda got his Lightsaber ready for action in AOTC
. . . I was like, you're kidding me?
Yeah, I was also more than a bit embarrassed when folks cheered for that CG Yoda abomination. Embarrassed for those people, embarrassed for humanity as a whole. But mostly embarrassed that I was there at all, really.

At the end of Inception.

At the end of Good Night, and Good Luck. (Not the type of film normally visited by die-hard geeks, but a superb movie nevertheless. At my viewing, there was a small audience and most were "boomers" who actually remembered or lived through the idiocy of the McCarthy era and knew it to be the closest thing to losing our way as a republic.)

There were a lot of them where they clapped at the end, but nothing really recent. I actually have heard more reactions during previews before the movies.

Though it wasn't clapping, the dead silence after Saving Private Ryan was really emotional for me, plus all those older men in the audience just sitting and staring at the screen. It really affected me.

I've only ever experienced audience clapping twice at the cinema. When i was a teenager i saw the re-release of the original Star Wars trilogy, with the extra scenes. And at the end of episode 4 everyone started clapping. Which i think was a bit deserved as for most of us there it was the only chance of seeing those films on the big screen, being too young for the original release.

Also, at the end of The Dark Knight, which i thought was really unnecessary. It was a great film but i think it was just all the studenty types that thought it was the greatest thing ever put on film. Shame.

Also, when i saw Attack of the Clones, EVERYBODY in the audience burst out laughing at the yoda fight. Poor little guy. :lol

Back