Metroid: Other M

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metroid Prime was a first person adventure game...not first person shooter.

Semantics. I knew someone was going to say this. :slap

I'm just going to slowly back out of this thread before I cause any more trouble.

They don't make them. Hence, Metroid Prime was farmed out to Retro Studios. (I don't feel very literate tonight, so bear with me)

I don't think they handed Metroid over to Retro because Nintendo wanted an FPS, but I digress.

I thought your previous post insinuated that Japanese studios were bad at making shooter games.

I don't think they handed Metroid over to Retro because Nintendo wanted an FPS, but I digress.

I thought your previous post insinuated that Japanese studios were bad at making shooter games.

It did to me as well.

After spending a little over an hour with Other M, I like it. I need to get deeper into it, but I like took the first bite and I'm left wanting more. I had concerns about the controls but so far nothings really bugging me, it's all pretty fun and straight forward right now.

Uhh the Metroid Prime trilogy wasn't in house and that was amazingggg.

Unh I know that and I never said it wasn't amazingggg. :dunno

I said "I think I'm done with Metroid until Nintendo brings Metroid back in house or gives it to a developer who doesn't piss all over 20+ years of history in order to tell the story of a vulnerable little girl."

edit: forgot to add condescending "Uhh" to the beginning of my post. Fixed now.

So after playing for an hour and half last night I'm pretty disappointed.

I understand wanting to go in a different direction with making the game more linear and moving away from the exploration aspect but to take away scanning completely is craptastic. Scanning enemies, objects, data, environments that IS Metroid to me....

The gameplay so far is pretty boring. Just run into a room button mashing with no skill whatsoever and destroy everything in 3 seconds. Awesome.... Only thing that keeps me somewhat interested is the enemy specific melee attacks.

Morph ball doesn't have the traditional look or sound effect when dropping bombs.

Music is okay.

Backstory is awful and this is the exact opposite of what I expected Samus to be. I too always pictured her as being similiar to Ripley from the Alien franchise.

So far I give it a 5/10 and if you are a fan of the great Metroid Trilogy then you might want to either avoid this completely or rent it.

I understand wanting to go in a different direction with making the game more linear and moving away from the exploration aspect but to take away scanning completely is craptastic. Scanning enemies, objects, data, environments that IS Metroid to me....

The gameplay so far is pretty boring. Just run into a room button mashing with no skill whatsoever and destroy everything in 3 seconds. Awesome.... Only thing that keeps me somewhat interested is the enemy specific melee attacks.

Morph ball doesn't have the traditional look or sound effect when dropping bombs.

Music is okay.

Backstory is awful and this is the exact opposite of what I expected Samus to be. I too always pictured her as being similiar to Ripley from the Alien franchise.

So far I give it a 5/10 and if you are a fan of the great Metroid Trilogy then you might want to either avoid this completely or rent it.

Was the Prime series your first foray into Metroid games?

Indeed it was but i have played Super Metroid and loved it.

I guess what annoys me is that they added the FPS mode and the ability to scan but limited it so much it always seems like it was thrown in there to have some kind of continuity to the Prime series.

If this was an all out 3-D sidescroller mix I'd be all for it but they tried to combine both styles and IMO they failed from what I played.

Also the voice actress for Samus puts me to sleep. Most people would probably agree that Samus was one of the most bas ass female characters until this game came out. She speaks with no authority, with no self confidence. I can understand if in her early years she was the whiney little emo girl but even her inner monolgue when she is an adult is cringe worthy.

Last edited:
Indeed it was but i have played Super Metroid and loved it.

I guess what annoys me is that they added the FPS mode and the ability to scan but limited it so much it always seems like it was thrown in there to have some kind of continuity to the Prime series.

If this was an all out 3-D sidescroller mix I'd be all for it but they tried to combine both styles and IMO they failed from what I played.

I'm at the same point as you time-wise. I hear it really picks up, especially near the end. Stay tuned.

I'm at the same point as you time-wise. I hear it really picks up, especially near the end. Stay tuned.

Oh I'm definately going to finish the game and get my moneys worth. I'll definately re-rate it when I complete it.

I love the deal Amazon gave with the $20 credit towards a future game purchase when I got this game. I got Metal Gear Peace Walker for only $12.97.

Amazon really screwed a lot of people over with their release date shipping this time.

I got mine the yesterday and I order it like friday, so no complaints. I got mine a day later than my buddy. No biggie, I get a $20 credit to use towards any fall release I want.

Music is okay.

All that you've mentioned as being Metroid to you comes from the Prime series. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but it started out somewhat closer to the way Other M plays out. You've played Super Metroid so you should know. :D

The suit has quite a few incarnations so of course its appearance is going to change over time. The Morph Ball of course would also change because of this and I don't recall there being a specific Morph Ball bomb sound. The most used has been the one from Super Metroid as you hear it in every Super Smash Brothers game.

Samus' image has changed over time as well. She's gone from the NES looking like this:

metrosu-6.gif

to the Gamecube. I think she looks the most serious here.
samusfaceexposed_1081471170.jpg

and her face still changes within the same series
Samus%20007%20copy.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070826101133828.jpg

to looking like this in the game that places most recent in the timeline:

ending_fusion_e5.jpg

I don't know where the idea about her being cold or stoic is coming from, nuh uh. :lol

Last edited:
Regardless of her many variations I love Samus, and this new metroid is still very metroid.

Yeah, Samus is still Samus to me. I guess some people just liked her better when she didn't talk. The amount of times she said "baby" in the opening sequence killed me a bit though! :lol

Playing this game and reading about the timeline and lure makes me want to go hunt down a copy of fusion, which I never got a chance to play.

Fun game that I regretfully gave to a family friend's kid for a reason I can't remember. It's a real throwback to Super Metroid and laid down some groundwork for the remake of Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission. I think you should play that as well if you haven't already :lecture.

I didn't know what to think about other M to begin with. However the more you play the better is gets and the more metroid it feels. There are some devious energy and missile tank locations and backtracking becomes more of a neccessity as you get further. The graphics are great and samus's voice and back story hasn't bothered me so far. I consider myself to be quite a big metroid fan and so far I think it's great.

Other M is getting better and better as I go along.

SK, it's definitely worth it to hunt down Fusion. Great game, especially because you are being hunted down throughout the game.

Back