Metroid: Other M

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty fun. The upgrades aren't really upgrades anymore as they're just enabled whenever they're authorized for use in the game. The auto-aiming is frustrating at times and the scenes where you're locked in first person to scan a very specific object can be tedious.

I think for most people Samus will seem very chatty in the opening sequence. She's such a model in a suit now :lol

My buddy at work got his from Amazon today, me however...I need to wait til like Friday to get mine. We ordered it form Amazon and have Amazon Prime accounts, he did preorder his like 3 months before I did. Maybe the release date shipping applied to only pre-orders placed before a certain time?

Played about an hour. Still getting the hang of it, but it's pretty decent. Doesn't feel like 2D Metroid or 3D Metroid. Graphics are clean and smooth, but not very detailed. Story not doing anything for me so far. Melee / takedown moves are pretty cool.

Is the side-scrolling all auto aim?

Yes. But side scrolling has the movement forward and back. It isn't completely 2D in that respect.

Personally, I would have liked a more Shadow Complex type of approach, but it's still early yet.

How would you compare it to the Metroid trilogy??

Only thing I've read that disappoints me is how the game is about 10 hours when the previous installments were 20+..

But I'm definately picking this one up, I love the Ninja Gaiden games (yes I can deal with its crazy camera lol) and DOA, so I'm very curious to what TN brought to one our favorites.

If there is any truth at all to this review: https://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/metroid-other-m/review/

In regards to story and Samus, I think I'm done with Metroid until Nintendo brings Metroid back in house or gives it to a developer who doesn't piss all over 20+ years of history in order to tell the story of a vulnerable little girl. :mad:

Well the backstory aspect is the weakest part so far, but I never played a Metroid game yet primarily for the story so we'll see how it develops.

If there is any truth at all to this review: https://g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/metroid-other-m/review/

In regards to story and Samus, I think I'm done with Metroid until Nintendo brings Metroid back in house or gives it to a developer who doesn't piss all over 20+ years of history in order to tell the story of a vulnerable little girl. :mad:

Wow that review really is making me question getting this game now......

Team Ninja is usually all about making chicks bad ass why would they choose of all characters Samus to make a whiney little girl?

Wow that review really is making me question getting this game now......

Team Ninja is usually all about making chicks bad ass why would they choose of all characters Samus to make a whiney little girl?

Because all of Nintendo's characters are kiddies. LOL!

Because all of Nintendo's characters are kiddies. LOL!

I know you live kind of close to Three Mile Island, so you may not know this, but...

12-super-nintendo-mario.jpg

...kids don't have moustaches.

(but yeah Nintendo is kiddy)

The gameplay is ok. Very fast paced, but it also feels very random because of the auto-aim and sidesteps. I think if they slowed the motions of Samus and the enemies and made it so you's be able to see where you are and what you're doing (kinda more like Arkham Asylum battle speed), it would drastically improve the gameplay. I mean, even her run speed is ridiculously fast and unnatural. Yeah, I know there's a lot of ground to cover, but at least make the animation a little more realistic. Maybe just including analog control would have made it feel a little less clunky.

As for the plot... The whole holding back of the suit functions is completely stupid. Weapons I can understand when Samus is with the squad, but why isn't her varia suit alway active? I suppose the concept in theory is ok, but it doesn't work in execution.

There was some article I read somewhere stating that the guys at Retro were saying the guys at Nintendo didn't understand the definition of a bounty hunter and who Samus was supposed to be based on the preexisting lore. And it seems like the story of Other M (from what I've seen) backs up Retro's claim. So far, this is NOT how I wanted to see Samus develop as a character. I always had a vision of her as a tough-as-nails bounty hunter who does jobs for money but for the right reasons. Yes, Metroid Fusion
Spoiler Spoiler:

Sorry for the rant...

The gameplay is ok. Very fast paced, but it also feels very random because of the auto-aim and sidesteps. I think if they slowed the motions of Samus and the enemies and made it so you's be able to see where you are and what you're doing (kinda more like Arkham Asylum battle speed), it would drastically improve the gameplay. I mean, even her run speed is ridiculously fast and unnatural. Yeah, I know there's a lot of ground to cover, but at least make the animation a little more realistic. Maybe just including analog control would have made it feel a little less clunky.

As for the plot... The whole holding back of the suit functions is completely stupid. Weapons I can understand when Samus is with the squad, but why isn't her varia suit alway active? I suppose the concept in theory is ok, but it doesn't work in execution.

There was some article I read somewhere stating that the guys at Retro were saying the guys at Nintendo didn't understand the definition of a bounty hunter and who Samus was supposed to be based on the preexisting lore. And it seems like the story of Other M (from what I've seen) backs up Retro's claim. So far, this is NOT how I wanted to see Samus develop as a character. I always had a vision of her as a tough-as-nails bounty hunter who does jobs for money but for the right reasons. Yes, Metroid Fusion
Spoiler Spoiler:

Sorry for the rant...

I agree with most of this.

Gameplay does feel a bit random but it's getting better the more I play.

I think the authorization needed to use weapons and such is a good idea, just poorly executed. Better than her losing her weapons every game then finding upgrades the Chozo left (everywhere) :lol

Everyone thinks bounty hunter means Boba Fett. It's obvious the Japanese don't get it.

Uhh the Metroid Prime trilogy wasn't in house and that was amazingggg.

Back