Metroid: Other M

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also the voice actress for Samus puts me to sleep. Most people would probably agree that Samus was one of the most bas ass female characters until this game came out. She speaks with no authority, with no self confidence. I can understand if in her early years she was the whiney little emo girl but even her inner monolgue when she is an adult is cringe worthy.

Yes, I totally agree. The voice actress just has no presence, and I feel that Samus NEEDS presence in order to be respected as a bounty hunter. Again, a Boba Fett reference... His 2 lines or so of speech in ESB and Vader's "no disintigrations" warning made him one of the most popular characters in the universe.

I don't think I've heard any dialogue from Samus in Other M that makes me want to respect her. In fact, all the whining and story exposition that she repeats in her inner monologues feels pathetic. It's kind of like the original cut of Blade Runner where Deckard's voice overs are just pointless and unncessary. I think Nintendo is doing the smae thing as the producers of Blade Runner: Thinking the audience isn't smart enough to understand and interpret the story themselves, and took it upon themselves to spell out everthing and repeat things that have already been said.

Oh god, and the whole
Spoiler Spoiler:

But...

On a more positive note, I'm enjoying the gamplay a little bit more now that I've gotten a better handle of the controls. I think if there's a sequel, Team Ninja will be able to tweak the mechanics to make the gameplay significantly better. But it's really the story and its execution of Other M that's killing the game for me.

How far are you, Moo? I'm roughly 3 hours in now and it's really good.

I don't think I've heard any dialogue from Samus in Other M that makes me want to respect her. In fact, all the whining and story exposition that she repeats in her inner monologues feels pathetic. It's kind of like the original cut of Blade Runner where Deckard's voice overs are just pointless and unncessary. I think Nintendo is doing the smae thing as the producers of Blade Runner: Thinking the audience isn't smart enough to understand and interpret the story themselves, and took it upon themselves to spell out everthing and repeat things that have already been said.

It's very "japanese" in that regard. It reminds me of like really drawn out and long winded anime.

It drives me nuts.

How far are you, Moo? I'm roughly 3 hours in now and it's really good.

I'm about 6 hours in. Like I said, the gameplay is getting better the more I get used to it, but it's the super dramatic Japanese-style exposition like Starkiller that's killing me.

Seriously, the quality of the current video game generation's down and dirty American-style storytelling (I'd say American straight, but Bioware is Canada-based) has really turned me off to Anime-style stories...

I'm about 6 hours in. Like I said, the gameplay is getting better the more I get used to it, but it's the super dramatic Japanese-style exposition like Starkiller that's killing me.

Seriously, the quality of the current video game generation's down and dirty American-style storytelling (I'd say American straight, but Bioware is Canada-based) has really turned me off to Anime-style stories...

It's funny the way they differ. Things in that very over the top japanese style really turn me off to storytelling. That character that just rambles on about the most simple things as if they were the answers to life itself.

It's quite painful at times to sit through these extremely boring cutscenes, not just in metroid but even as MGS fan MGS4 really started to grate on my nerves by the end. Play a chapter then sit through a 30 minute cutscene that tries to explain but just convolutes the story even more so. Boringggg.:monkey4

8-9 hours total. The second to last boss fight was pretty good, but the last battle was probably one of the lamest I've played in a game. I died maybe 7 or 8 times before I even had to figure out what to do because the objective was so unclear.

The ending was so not worth it. More submissive and whiny Samus.

But...
Spoiler Spoiler:

That's one thing I'm not too fond of in the game.

I hate those times where your stuck in 1st person mode and can't figure out what to do. Like Moo said, the objective was so unclear. It frustrates me looking around for five minutes trying to figure out what I'm suppose to be seeing.

They keep the control scheme to appeal to more people yet make certain parts of the game so frustrating.

So bosses seem really easy while just random enemies can be a pain to figure out how to rid of them.

Just beat the game. Clocked in at 8 hours.

The game has some obvious shortcomings, but overall I really had a blast playing this one. It had that Metroid feel to the game, IMO. I'd give it an 8/10 and I would play a sequel.

I wish the music was up to par with the Prime series. I was hoping for something to rival Phendrana Drifts in the snow levels. But nope it was just silence.

I wish the music was up to par with the Prime series. I was hoping for something to rival Phendrana Drifts in the snow levels. But nope it was just silence.

Yeah, my sis watched me play a little bit and thought the game looked cool, but actually said "it doesn't sound like Metroid." I honestly can't recall any original music that was in the game :slap

Yeah, my sis watched me play a little bit and thought the game looked cool, but actually said "it doesn't sound like Metroid." I honestly can't recall any original music that was in the game :slap

Just the main title theme, which is basically the metroid theme. But I mean come on, Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 had amazing soundtracks. This ones weak.

That's a shame. Totally agreed about Prime's music too. I think the Prime composers are employed by Nintendo, but they're working on Donkey Kong Country with Retro at the moment.

After completing the game in 2 sittings I decided that it's a good game but not a good a metroid game. It was lacking in so many areas. The music was forgettable, the combat was basic and repetitive and I kno I said earlier that Samus didn't annoy me in the game but she did by the end. I hope team ninja don't make another metroid game. I'd prob give it a 7/10

That's a shame. Totally agreed about Prime's music too. I think the Prime composers are employed by Nintendo, but they're working on Donkey Kong Country with Retro at the moment.

Well I guess that's ok then, because I love DKC.

After completing the game in 2 sittings I decided that it's a good game but not a good a metroid game. It was lacking in so many areas. The music was forgettable, the combat was basic and repetitive and I kno I said earlier that Samus didn't annoy me in the game but she did by the end. I hope team ninja don't make another metroid game. I'd prob give it a 7/10

It's no retros studios attempt, give them back metroid!

2 sittings!?!? Holy crap. I already have about 6 or 7 sittings and I bet you I'm not even 75% done yet. My longest play session was a little over 2 hours.

Well I beat it over the weekend 8-9 hour timeframe and the game became very addiciting after the awful beginning.

I thought Samus as a character got better as the game went on. Less talk, more action.

The story twist was nice I honestly didn't see it coming, I really thought it was going to stay the course of the predictable.

A couple things I didn't like with the final product:

- Not being able to use missiles unless you are in FP. Whats the point of having all these missile upgrades when you barely have to use them??? If there is a sequel I'd like this to be addressed.

- Music needs an upgrade. I agree with everyone here this has nothing on the Prime series

- Less talk, even though I know this has nothing to do with TEAM NINJA (they didn't write or develop this story) they either get a real voice actress or just go back to her never saying anything.

- A better fighting system. The melee attacks were cool at first but they became repetitive fast. I'd like to see heavy and light attacks added to give the game a little more depth in that area.

- Length. I really don't want the 8 hour game to become standard in the Metroid series. 15+ would be nice.

The first two hours of the game I gave it a 5/10 but after completing it I give it a solid 8/10 and would definately play a sequel.

I finally picked it up and played for about 3 hours yesterday. When does this game become a good Metroid game? Because where I am right now, ehhhhhhhhhhhh....

Who did then?

Yoshio Sakamoto, the creator and director of the Metroid series (excluding the Prime games).

I finally picked it up and played for about 3 hours yesterday. When does this game become a good Metroid game? Because where I am right now, ehhhhhhhhhhhh....

It definitely picks up soon, but as for when it becomes a good Metroid game, that all depends on your definition.

I think it hit all the bases, but I would like to see a lot of improvements in the sequel.

Yoshio Sakamoto, the creator and director of the Metroid series (excluding the Prime games).

It starts picking up soon. I really started getting sucked in once you get the space jump.

Back