Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More news about Hayter not being involved in MGS V. I've practically given up hope of his return in the near future.

In an interview with David Hayter, Nerd Reactor asked him about the fact some fans believe he will indeed reprise his role in the upcoming game, despite Kiefer Sutherland being officially cast, and most notably if he has signed any NDA; “No, no. I never signed any NDA. When you’re not in a game, it’s very difficult for them to get you to sign anything pertaining to it. It’s disappointing that fans still believe I’m gonna be in it, because I think that reduces the pressure that should be put on Konami and Kojima to bring me back. So I’ll say it again, I’m not in the game. In any way.”

When asked about Sutherland’s performance, Hayter said, “I saw the promos, and I saw Kiefer in there. Otherwise I think he’s a great actor, and I’ve met him, and spent a little time with him. He’s a super nice guy and I respect him immensely. It just feels different from what we were doing before. But I’ve got nothing bad to say about the man. He’s a stellar Canadian. I respect him immensely.”

https://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/05/david-hayter-talks-metal-gear-solid-5-and-kiefer-sutherland/

I see what you mean, I feel it was appropriate for Paz though, she was not a beloved nor a big character and to be honest, I wouldn't have wanted to see any more of her after PW, not after that dance number :lol so I feel her demise was appropriate.

I believe it's thematically fitting for a character of her stature and it was logical really, if I think about it.

Actually, that's why I believe her demise was not appropriate, and the emotional reactions that should have been evoked by her suffering, fell completely flat. She was hardly given any time for character development in Peace Walker, and I would have loved it if she explored a little more in another game instead of taking her out of the picture so early. I kept thinking to myself, why the hell should I even care about her, and how is her death even relevant to Big Boss's crossing over to the "dark side"? Everything about Ground Zeroes' storyline felt rushed and arbitrary.

Last edited:
Paz was only interesting IN ground zeroes. Alot of character development was through the tapes. It was only through that that her death was given any gravitas. Even then I was disappointed with her death since I wanted to see her more after.

The only thing good about Paz for me is that she's voiced by the legendary Tara Strong. That lady can't do no wrong.

Quick sketch of Kiefer as Big Boss. Looks so weird. Really shows that the eyes, mouth, chin and ears have been copied from Kiefer's face but that the actual head shape is different

Quick sketch of Kiefer as Big Boss. Looks so weird. Really shows that the eyes, mouth, chin and ears have been copied from Kiefer's face but that the actual head shape is different

Nice sketch man!

This actually looks like it could be concept art for a MGS movie starring Kiefer-Snake.

Actually, that's why I believe her demise was not appropriate, and the emotional reactions that should have been evoked by her suffering, fell completely flat. She was hardly given any time for character development in Peace Walker, and I would have loved it if she explored a little more in another game instead of taking her out of the picture so early. I kept thinking to myself, why the hell should I even care about her, and how is her death even relevant to Big Boss's crossing over to the "dark side"? Everything about Ground Zeroes' storyline felt rushed and arbitrary.

While I'm a little less hard on Paz's character, what really rubbed me the wrong way was how over-dramatized her death was especially for a character that had so little screentime. They could have fleshed out her role, elaborated on her life as a spy under Zero, maybe even given her a proper redemption arc after the torture, who knows (I know that would've given Kojima some small feminism points compared to the opposite reaction GZ is getting). But the way she got offed so dramatically felt forced for someone that we barely knew, and while sure we got some decent context of her sad life through the diary tapes, we never get much feeling or certainty if Big Boss even cared (he was practically ready to kill her off in GZ if not for the intel she has on Cipher).

Something as big and glorified as Paz's death can't just happen because "oh it just happened, how cruel" unless you have the right amount of character buildup and intended thematic significance in the way you're writing it. But it doesn't, and that's what makes it seem so forced and over-the-top (in a bad way), not to mention a waste of a character.

But that's precisely why it's appropriate, you weren't asked to feel anything for her, she was a small character, a pawn, not every character needs to be big, and her death is not relevant to Big Boss per say but it's part of SF's machinations that led to motherbase's destruction and it's ramification which is what is ultimately relevant for BB baddie conversion, and the fact that it was Paz the one who got blown up is nothing but logical.

The story is well contained, it's got some technical execution flaws, but it's by no means arbitrary nor rushed imo.

Ground Zeroes didn't really feel like a Metal Gear game to me. Hopefully Phantom Pain will be great

The more I see about no Hayter, the more disappointed I get. :slap It's disheartening really. Also on Paz, I feel both Solidus and Gaspar have compelling points. I do ultimately agree that I don't care for Paz, regardless of whether she was meant to be big or not. I did feel when some of the minor characters like Stillman in MGS 2 died though.

I po'ed this today and when I was in there the guy behind the counter said it's set for a March 29th release. I'm not sure what to make of it but that's what it said on the system. Hopefully it's true.

I po'ed this today and when I was in there the guy behind the counter said it's set for a March 29th release. I'm not sure what to make of it but that's what it said on the system. Hopefully it's true.

That sounds about right, the rumored release date is March 27th, a year after Grounf Zeroes works for me.

Played through GZ again today, with the goal of not being spotted. What a blast. Classic MG sneaking with much upgraded controls and excellent graphics. Can't wait for the game.

The gameplay was fun, but I can't find myself replaying it more than the few times that I already have. The novelty of the small map area wears off pretty fast.

The gameplay was fun, but I can't find myself replaying it more than the few times that I already have. The novelty of the small map area wears off pretty fast.

I can see that. This was my first replay since I initially bought it.

I loved Ground Zeroes. People are too spoiled now-a-days. I suppose if it were ten bucks cheaper it would've been better/perfect.

Ground Zeroes didn't really feel like a Metal Gear game to me. Hopefully Phantom Pain will be great

Ground Zeroes felt like if Metal Gear and Tomb Raider had a baby. Its a good thing i liked Tomb Raider.

Its a great thing that Metal Gear evolves and has a consistent creator. If the franchise, or any franchise for that matter, never changes then it dies as soo many have done in the past.

I look forward to the game after GroundZeores. Hopefully a SolidSnake game, where they improve upon the new mechanics and balance it out too feel more MetalGear-y

Back