Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, and the poor old guy went crazy and died.

Nanomachines, just like syphilis.

if4tFZGAlv6bW.gif

I liked Paz in PW, and while the torture was so-so (brutal yeah but not much else), I'm more bothered by the fact that Kojima offed Paz. Because really, it did nothing for the character/s or for the story. Some people might say "oh yeah war is cruel like that" but this is still fiction, it's still dictated by whoever is behind the pen. Big Boss didn't hate Paz but he didn't really sympathize with her so while her torture is sad, her death feels empty. The fact that there wasn't any important point behind it beyond putting Big Boss from Point A (awake) to Point B (potential coma) is what makes it seem so forced and anti-climactic.

The rest of GZ was fine, it's more or less a glorified intro for TPP which isn't bad at all if not for the need to purchase it separately.

I liked Paz in PW, and while the torture was so-so (brutal yeah but not much else), I'm more bothered by the fact that Kojima offed Paz. Because really, it did nothing for the character/s or for the story. Some people might say "oh yeah war is cruel like that" but this is still fiction, it's still dictated by whoever is behind the pen. Big Boss didn't hate Paz but he didn't really sympathize with her so while her torture is sad, her death feels empty. The fact that there wasn't any important point behind it beyond putting Big Boss from Point A (awake) to Point B (potential coma) is what makes it seem so forced and anti-climactic.

The rest of GZ was fine, it's more or less a glorified intro for TPP which isn't bad at all if not for the need to purchase it separately.

Well SF calculated BB would rescue Paz so she wired her with a bomb, so he could kill BB, that was the purpose of her death, besides both her and Chico were tortured because of what they knew, so it definitely has a use in the story and it moved it forward.

What I mean by "use" is more of its thematic significance which her death really lacked in terms of execution within the story. It's one thing for it to have a "use", but when all it amounts to is "moving forward" the story, then anything else could've easily been written in its place. Mind you I can get past the torture for Chico and Paz, and how Skull Face used Chico to get to Big Boss, but the bizarre portrayal of Paz's death felt forced especially for a character that we barely knew about at the end of PW. That's just my view on the subject of course.

I think she was written into the story as a “metaphor” to Nikolai and Bart and to foreshadow the dark events coming in TPP after Paz/peace literally gets blown to pieces.

I did hate that she died though, Ground Zeroes actually made me really like her character.

Last edited:
I think she was written into the story as a “metaphor” to Nikolai and Bart and to foreshadow the dark events coming in TPP after Paz/peace literally gets blown to pieces.

I did hate that she died though, Ground Zeroes actually made me really like her character.
Good point, and one that makes sense in context of the song. I just think they didn't develop her character far enough to really give that emotional weight to warrant such a dramatized death. Which is a shame, given how we only just got to know a bit about her through her diary logs.

What I mean by "use" is more of its thematic significance which her death really lacked in terms of execution within the story. It's one thing for it to have a "use", but when all it amounts to is "moving forward" the story, then anything else could've easily been written in its place. Mind you I can get past the torture for Chico and Paz, and how Skull Face used Chico to get to Big Boss, but the bizarre portrayal of Paz's death felt forced especially for a character that we barely knew about at the end of PW. That's just my view on the subject of course.

I see what you mean, I feel it was appropriate for Paz though, she was not a beloved nor a big character and to be honest, I wouldn't have wanted to see any more of her after PW, not after that dance number :lol so I feel her demise was appropriate.

I believe it's thematically fitting for a character of her stature and it was logical really, if I think about it.

Back