Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing with MGS2 it had a whole theme of what is or isn't real. Messing with you the while time. And at least Vamp got the minor expansion of getting pierced with a crucifix and all that.

MGS3 had nothing for anyone. Hello > crazy powers > death > explode!

The explode thing was a throw back to old boss fights wasn't it? Even still, Kojima hasn't made a serious MGS since MGS1. He's become too caught up in social messages, symbolism and reoccurring theme/plot point/Solid Snake plagiarism.

When I think about it, MGS3 can be considered just as incoherent in some aspects as PW... but the story and setting pays off big time for MGS3 and fills in all the shortcomings of the weirdness.

The explode thing was a throw back to old boss fights wasn't it? Even still, Kojima hasn't made a serious MGS since MGS1. He's become too caught up in social messages, symbolism and reoccurring theme/plot point/Solid Snake plagiarism.

When I think about it, MGS3 can be considered just as incoherent in some aspects as PW... but the story and setting pays off big time for MGS3 and fills in all the shortcomings of the weirdness.

The only reason MGS3 got away with it is it was an overall crazy campy spy story. It could have easily been as serious and grounded as MGS1 (I would have liked it better) but Kojima got ti make the cheesy 60s flick he always wanted

The only reason MGS3 got away with it is it was an overall crazy campy spy story. It could have easily been as serious and grounded as MGS1 (I would have liked it better) but Kojima got ti make the cheesy 60s flick he always wanted

Yeah you're definitely right. You had to be constantly reminded of the comparison between Naked Snake and Bond. Volgin comes across as a stereotypical Bond villain.

If MGS3 wasn't in the 60s, I don't think it would of clicked with people like it did.

MGS3 definitely was dumbed down, and was easily accessible yet being intricate enough to make you think... but why we needed that weird cast of characters is beyond me. The Boss was the most normal character of them :dunno
And Ocelot was relatively normal outside of meowing :lol

Also the game does feel like a Bond story at times, such as the main theme and Eva being like that of a Bond girl

And Ocelot was relatively normal outside of meowing :lol

Also the game does feel like a Bond story at times, such as the main theme and Eva being like that of a Bond girl

Eva definitely was a Bond girl. Ocelot is normal per se. But the meowing, plus his little Ocelot Unit entourage comes across like a campy Bond villain gang :lol

Ocelot has a major boner for Big Boss, i think MGS3 made me like Ocelot as a character a lot less.

He was better as a bad guy, I always remember back in MGS1 thinking that Ocelot was way more bad/evil than Liquid.

I feel the same way, in MGS2 by the end he came across as one of the major string pullers of the universe. Then he was dumbed down to a fanboy.

Even if it's that, it's still retarded to have a character that can do that.
Why? Raiden could run fast, Gray Fox could do that (in TTS he is seen having movements so fast that you couldn't even see them and were represented by a sort of "air" waves), and not to mention Gray Fox could carry the whole weight of Rex on his shoulders and Raiden could break dance with Geckos tied to his ankles....

Why? Raiden could run fast, Gray Fox could do that (in TTS he is seen having movements so fast that you couldn't even see them and were represented by a sort of "air" waves), and not to mention Gray Fox could carry the whole weight of Rex on his shoulders and Raiden could break dance with Geckos tied to his ankles....

But those are artificial attributes, not natural. If her abilities are manufactured technology, that's a different story.

I feel the same way, in MGS2 by the end he came across as one of the major string pullers of the universe. Then he was dumbed down to a fanboy.
Except he still was? The only real difference after was that he was a fanboy, and that certainly didn't diminish his sick personality and deceptive nature. If anything, the ass-pull that was Liquid's arm taking over Ocelot negated any sense of integrity Ocelot held as a "string puller" by the end of MGS2. "But it's because The Sorrow was Ocelot's dad! So it makes sense!" Yeah just because it "made sense", doesn't mean it was the best creative decision.

As haphazard as it was presented, I'm actually glad that Kojima put all the credit on Ocelot with the whole arm possession being a con, while leaving Liquid alone in MGS1. Ocelot finally gets the spotlight in MGS4 while Liquid remains untouched in MGS1, literally a win/win situation for fans in my book.

This. Seriously, people need to lay off the nostalgia fever, there's nothing to go "le gaspu!" over what's presented of Quiet's abilities so far.

Experimentation perhaps?

It doesn't bother me though, I don't care if they're natural or technological as long as it's explanation is good, I like her abilities so far, and she must have a weakness hence why she's seen captured and being tortured.

Except he still was? The only real difference after was that he was a fanboy, and that certainly didn't diminish his sick personality and deceptive nature.
If anything, the ass-pull that was Liquid's arm taking over Ocelot negated any sense of integrity Ocelot held as a "string puller". As haphazard as it was presented, I'm actually glad that Kojima put all the credit on Ocelot with whole arm possession being a con, while leaving Liquid alone in MGS1. Ocelot finally gets the spotlight in MGS4 while Liquid remains untouched in MGS1, literally a win/win situation in my book.

This. Seriously, people need to lay off the nostalgia fever, there's nothing to go "le gaspu!" over what's presented of Quiet's abilities.

Ocelot ran the whole Big Shell operation, the arm wasn't a factor until the end.

Experimentation perhaps?

It don't bother me though, I don't care if they're natural or technological as long as it's explanation is good, I like her abilities so far, and she must have a weakness hence why she's seen captured and being tortured.

Not gonna happen :lol

This. Seriously, people need to lay off the nostalgia fever, there's nothing to go "le gaspu!" over what's presented of Quiet's abilities.

I've long made peace with the fact that MGS1 is as good as it gets and I'm completely fine with that, MGS1 is still a cornerstone of gaming and one of the finest works of fiction in my book.

And nostalgia has nothing to do with anything. It's about having reasonable abilities, not over the top **** with no explanation for it is the problem. And if it is over the top, give a clear explanation of it and not just leave it hanging out there, which Kojima LOVES to do.

Ocelot ran the whole Big Shell operation, the arm wasn't a factor until the end.

Except by the end it made Ocelot look like a pawn for the Patriots that got hijacked by Liquid and nothing more. MGS4 followed that up by showing that he pretty much conned everyone (as always), and something even Big Boss couldn't anticipate.
I've long made peace with the fact that MGS1 is as good as it gets and I'm completely fine with that, MGS1 is still a cornerstone of gaming and one of the finest works of fiction in my book.
Exactly. It's like complaining that any new Silent Hill is never gonna be as good as "Silent Hill 2". Well no ***** because it was awesome and a true gem of horror gaming! It's fine to strive for the greatest standard, but when the comparison always just ends up as "it's just never gonna be as good as x back then" it gets a little tiresome.

And nostalgia has nothing to do with anything. It's about having reasonable abilities, not over the top **** with no explanation for it is the problem. And if it is over the top, give a clear explanation of it and not just leave it hanging out there, which Kojima LOVES to do.
Weird as it was, this is why I prefer MGS3 overall. It was campy but it sure as hell rolled with it in style and for once it actually felt like Kojima was just genuinely having fun. The 60s was the perfect playground for Kojima's love of weird super-spy stuff, and I'm glad he went the direction he did for that game.

Going back to what was discussed before: to this day, I can never understand the purpose for Vamp in MGS 2, because his abilities seemed so out-of-place with the other members of Dead Cell. And Kojima threw in some odd backstory in a laughable attempt to give him relevance; in that, he wanted revenge because his gayboi lover (Scott Dolph) died? :dunno. It's not like their relationship was even elaborated upon (not that I'd ever want to hear homoerotic tales of any sort). At least Fortune had a purpose to the story because Dolph was her father and her mother committed suicide shortly after he was killed.

Fortune was pretty cool.

I remember the feel I had when I saw the bullets get ricocheted away from her for the 1st time.

I was like WTF? How am I gonna beat this lady? :lol

Going back to what was discussed before: to this day, I can never understand the purpose for Vamp in MGS 2, because his abilities seemed so out-of-place with the other members of Dead Cell. And Kojima threw in some odd backstory in a laughable attempt to give him relevance; in that he wanted revenge because his gayboi lover (Scott Dolph) died? :dunno. It's not like their relationship was even elaborated upon (not that I'd ever want to hear homoerotic tales of any sort). At least Fortune had a purpose to the story because Dolph was her father and her mother committed suicide shortly after he was killed.

"Would it have been better if it was her mother?" :lol

Back