Maybe we can have a nice discussion about prices???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be a totally reasonable idea that Sideshow is trying to bring the cost of all of the figures closer to middle, and the added cost of some of the less-expensive to produce figures would defray the cost of some of the more expensive, design-intensive figures. I think that would be more upsetting to people, who might think that their easier-to-develop, favorite character shouldn't factor into the cost of a figure that is less "off-the shelf". You can't make everybody happy though.

I sometimes think that every instantaneous SW sellout breathes a little life into some of the slower lines, and for every Luke, another line gets a well-deserved shot in the arm.

To me it's not simply the issue of price increases, it's price increases for what seems to be no appearent reason other than greed.

No matter what you say, I highly doubt I can be convinced that Plo Koon should be more expensive than Kit Fisto or any of the previous figures for that matter.

If SSC wants to start charging $85 a figure that's fine with me as long as the figures look at least 98% like the prototypes shown in the original pictures.

I'd rather have to pick and choose which ones I can afford now and go get the rest later on ebay than have to keep going through this crap figure after figure and have some I'm already embarrassed to display, like lipstick Anakin.

We don't even need to drag into this the fact they're already charging $65 ($80+ if you want it delivered double boxed) for an Aragorn who makes the SW figures look like flawless masterpieces...

So Pog, if you had a business, would you sell stuff for cost or charge a bit more and make, you know, a profit?

EVILFACE said:
So Pog, if you had a business, would you sell stuff for cost or charge a bit more and make, you know, a profit?

So next is the part where you lay out to me the if,what's and how's of the costs it takes for SSC to produce a figure so this question is relevant, right?

Otherwise it's just a waste of time because I'm quite sure SSC make a nice profit whether it's a $50 or $65 figure.

If they didn't then they wouldn't stay in business now would they!:slap

Just to fan the fire, one could also argue that the exclusives and regulars are both the same price. So should the exclusives cost more or the regular cost less? Sideshow want direct sales, that's why they're the same price. So they can be assured of a certain amount of profit. This is to, again, make sure there is a continuity of a particular line also. Sideshow aren't fools. They want to sell their stock, and move it quickly, and also give collectors what they want. Mainly more figures in a line. That you also get some choice is a side benefit. Also, you may miss out on an exclusive, but still be fairly assured of still getting the regular, and usually at discount prices from retailers.

Not to take any sides here, but when I think back on it I'm kinda surprised the Star Wars figures started out at $50. The Buffy, Angel and Highlander figures are $45, and those figures in general aren't done with same attention to detail nor do they have such elaborate packaging. I would also guess that those licenses were much cheaper to acquire in comparison since Star Wars is the biggest property around and SSC has to pay not only LFL but also Hasbro I believe.

elaborate packaging......hell, i'll pay $55 for a box, give it to me SS!

I too am a little miffed about the current prices Sideshow has been charging for the Star Wars line. But, since I pick and choose which 12" figures I want to collect, I won't have to worry about my pocket book getting raped.
I thought long and hard about the 3 new Rebel commandos set. I finally just picked up the one for now. I will pass on the next, and can't wait for the Nik Saint one.
Something that does concern me, (and this maybe a little off topic) is the outrageous price Hasbro is charging for the 3/4" figures. Folks, I come from the age of $1.97 Kenner figures. Yes, I know the quality of the line is 150% better than it was back in the 70's & 80's. But my gosh...almost $7 a pop at my local Wal-Mart for one figure. Needless to say, I stoped my 'completest' role of every figure on a card a few years ago. I know I've made Mr. Lucas a rich man and also put at least one of his kids through college. But, I also love how just that little plastic figure takes me back to my childhood. I will contune to spend my cash with Hasbro, but only on the figures I really, really dig.

Sideshow, keep up the good work. I will glady pay $120 for Jabba. Hell, I'm even going to pay the $200 for his throne. And, I will more than gladly pay $100 for the ultimate R2-D2. Just please make sure there's some killer sounds added.:r2d2line

ObiWan_67_D1138 said:
I too am a little miffed about the current prices Sideshow has been charging for the Star Wars line. But, since I pick and choose which 12" figures I want to collect, I won't have to worry about my pocket book getting raped.
I thought long and hard about the 3 new Rebel commandos set. I finally just picked up the one for now. I will pass on the next, and can't wait for the Nik Saint one.
Something that does concern me, (and this maybe a little off topic) is the outrageous price Hasbro is charging for the 3/4" figures. Folks, I come from the age of $1.97 Kenner figures. Yes, I know the quality of the line is 150% better than it was back in the 70's & 80's. But my gosh...almost $7 a pop at my local Wal-Mart for one figure. Needless to say, I stoped my 'completest' role of every figure on a card a few years ago. I know I've made Mr. Lucas a rich man and also put at least one of his kids through college. But, I also love how just that little plastic figure takes me back to my childhood. I will contune to spend my cash with Hasbro, but only on the figures I really, really dig.

Sideshow, keep up the good work. I will glady pay $120 for Jabba. Hell, I'm even going to pay the $200 for his throne. And, I will more than gladly pay $100 for the ultimate R2-D2. Just please make sure there's some killer sounds added.:r2d2line
Yes I am getting concerned about the Hasbro prices. I know some Targets are now chargeing $7.64 for a basic figure which is ridiculous. I can almost get them cheaper by buying them by the case online now and saving some of my time in going out and hunting for them. Once I get a good paying job, hopefully next year I will start just buying everything by the case from EE or someone else and not worrying about trying to find them at retail.

jason2885 said:
Yes I am getting concerned about the Hasbro prices. I know some Targets are now chargeing $7.64 for a basic figure which is ridiculous. I can almost get them cheaper by buying them by the case online now and saving some of my time in going out and hunting for them. Once I get a good paying job, hopefully next year I will start just buying everything by the case from EE or someone else and not worrying about trying to find them at retail.
Back in my hay days of trying to acquire every figure carded (and to avoid the hunts and headaches) I delt with newforcecomics.com :D They treated me very well with my case orders. I found their prices for shipping very reasonable too. Sorry for the shameless plug. I did order my forth coming Imperial 8 pack from them.
Hey Sideshow...where's R2-D2?:rotfl
:r2d2line

jlcmsu said:
Yeah, Hasbro is really breaking it off in SW fans.
Just 'how' long does Hasbro hold the license for Star Wars? I do hope this increase in price is just to justify the forthcoming 'coins' price hike. I would hate to see the 3 3/4" line phased out :monkey2
Help me Sideshow Collectibles...I need a R2-D2. You're my only hope. Hehehehehehe

ObiWan_67_D1138 said:
Just 'how' long does Hasbro hold the license for Star Wars? I do hope this increase in price is just to justify the forthcoming 'coins' price hike. I would hate to see the 3 3/4" line phased out :monkey2
Help me Sideshow Collectibles...I need a R2-D2. You're my only hope. Hehehehehehe
They have license until 2018

Hasbro has not and is not increasing their prices. RETAILERS raised their prices... Hasbro has said publicly their price to the retailers(the money they charge Walmart, Target, etc) has been the same the past two years and the next. Walmart could afford to sell Star Wars ep3 figures for under $5 last year, the fact the price this year is $2 higher is entirely on them. Hasbro's not getting any more money per figure this year than last. If anything, less.

Back