Maybe we can have a nice discussion about prices???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure this has been mentioned before both here and RS, but are people remembering that Star Wars is the MOST EXPENSIVE LICENSE EVER?

LFL gets a huge chunk of everything SW related, I think if these figs started at $60 then everyone would understand that. Just because they started a bit lower doesn't mean SSC is gouging just because they can.

Well after reading through this thread all of you make really good points. I will not consider stopping from buying any figure until they start charging $100 a figure then I may reconsider. I think that less complex figures should stay at $54 while troops may range up to $69 but I would really like to keep Clones and Stormies around $60 because well they can reuse the Clone molds for at least 6 different figures and the Stormies too. I would think that Chewie the droids and a few others may be a little more than that. I mean Aragorn in LOTR line was $64.99 and no ones complaining about that.

I dont think its just Sideshow who is going up on their prices either. Hasbro is too. For instance prices at some Targets basic figures are now $7.64. A few years ago I was paying $4.76. Thats alot more of an increase than Sideshows if you multiply it out over 70 figures a year.
5892-targetprice.jpg

Darklord Dave said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned before both here and RS, but are people remembering that Star Wars is the MOST EXPENSIVE LICENSE EVER?

LFL gets a huge chunk of everything SW related, I think if these figs started at $60 then everyone would understand that. Just because they started a bit lower doesn't mean SSC is gouging just because they can.

I know Dave. I've tried to mention this here and at RS. I keep getting told I'm a sheep and that I just follow SS blindly.

jlcmsu said:
I'm not trying to start anything between us and them. Since I post there as well. However, I just thought it was funny and wanted to comment that we're sheep if you don't get all up in arms about it.

Thats funny, I don't up in all arms about it. I try to logicly determine if why this might be happening.

Just wondering does anyone have some sort of idea of the prices of other compaines comparable 12" figures? Looking at the rest of the 12" by sideshow they seem to range from $40 - $65 with most in the 40-50 range. I did notice there that LOTR were mostly $65 with a few at $55. I am pretty sure that we can agree that Star Wars is the most expnsive license for a company. I know that these are not on the same level as Hasbro but they are paying 505 million of 20 years and I did see that Mattel had a offer that was rumored to be 1 BILLION dollars. So if you guys need more evidence then I hope that you are on my Jury if I ever get arrested for something that goes to a Jury Trial. Can we say Not Guilty.

mfoga said:
I know that these are not on the same level as Hasbro but they are paying 505 million of 20 years and I did see that Mattel had a offer that was rumored to be 1 BILLION dollars.

Holy crap, George Lucas is rich!!!!

:google

wait a year+ and see what theyre all going for on the secondary market.
SS's price wont seem so bad after all.

You could somewhat lump this into the same discussion awhile back about whether or not the $100 price hike for the PF Gray Hulk was justified. From a production cost standpoint, I dont think it was, but you cant knock SS for wanting a little bigger cut from a product that can sell for 2x-3x its value straight out of the box. That would mean theyre making less on a product than the consumer can make from an immediate resell of the exact same product.

Imagine if you were price-capped at $60ea to sell your SW figures. And you knew for a fact the guy you were selling them to could resell them for double that, but you wrent allowed.
SS could dramatically increase their profits if they just sold, say, 30% of each figure's ES to internal staff who put them on ebay throughout the next year and gave the profit back to SS.

another thing I think some forget is that huge leap in petroleum costs not too long ago. It effects everything, from shipping cost, to polystone/resin cost, to paint cost. You know Lucas isnt going to take that hit. YOU are.

nash said:
With this discussion about price... Why would we need to wait for another human jedi to see Sideshow's pricing?

They're already charging $60 for a unnamed rebel soldier which doesnt have very many accessories and his clothing doesnt look like anything special.

IMO It's apparant that the $60 price point is here to stay.

The reason I bring up another human Jedi for a price comparison is to see if they really are just raising prices just to raise prices. Kit Fisto had some head development they had to do. Plo Koon had some detailed Mask as well as a new cloak.

If they make another regular human Jedi like say... ep1 Obi-Wan that reuses a lot of material that they've already developed and it costs $60... then yeah, the high price point is here to stay. So far every other new figure that's been announced has had something new for them to justify the costs.

occulum said:
wait a year+ and see what theyre all going for on the secondary market.
SS's price wont seem so bad after all.

You could somewhat lump this into the same discussion awhile back about whether or not the $100 price hike for the PF Gray Hulk was justified. From a production cost standpoint, I dont think it was, but you cant knock SS for wanting a little bigger cut from a product that can sell for 2x-3x its value straight out of the box. That would mean theyre making less on a product than the consumer can make from an immediate resell of the exact same product..
No offence, but that is nonsense. I should have to pay a higher price to Sideshow now, to anticipate the secondary market value their products might reach one day?! Will Sideshow REFUND me, if the aimed secondary market value is not realized? I don't think so.
I buy to keep. Because I like the item, and not to resell it. So I will never profit from any secondary market value. And I guess most collectors here see it the same way. So why should SSC punish us by making the items more expensive, so that they can have a share of the presumed secondary market value, today???
- Besides, the secondary market value is something completely hypothetical, a guess more or less. It can't be calculated up front. And let's not forget that, some of their products are much cheaper on the secondary market, even after years.

If sideshow should want to recover some of the secondary market value by setting the price higher to begin with (and I'm not saying that they do), then their products would be overprized! Selling overprized items is profiteering, right? I don't think that would put them in a good light in the collecting community.

occulum said:
another thing I think some forget is that huge leap in petroleum costs not too long ago. It effects everything, from shipping cost, to polystone/resin cost, to paint cost. You know Lucas isnt going to take that hit. YOU are.
Petroleum price. Now THAT is a valid reason. It's much easier to accept a price increase, if the causes are comprehendible. But a price increase 'out of the blue' calls for reaction. Petroleum, production costs, grey paint, ... in the end, Sideshow can tell us what ever reason they want. Who's going to prove them wrong?

Alice Adrenochrome said:
No offence, but that is nonsense.
Hey, I wasnt saying Im agreeing with it, Im just giving what I think could be a true round-table/corporate decision. If they consistently see the figs going for much more on the secondary market, SS knows they can increase the price and not take a hit in sales cause everybody will still buy them.
Its done around the world. Everytime you hear the phrase "Youre paying for a name, not the product".
I dont collect to resale either. see my sig. :D

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Petroleum price. Now THAT is a valid reason.
the sad part about that being valid is that you know when petrol prices drop, the fig prices wont.

In regards to the grey Hulk PF, personally I have no problem with them trying to get some of the secondary market action. This is an item that would be selling for double it's retail price before it ships.

If by charging a higher price they can make it less attractive for flippers/scalpers and also give some of the secondary market money to the company that licensed, designed and manufactured the piece -then what's wrong with that?

To me, $60 is till in a reasonable range. My problem comes when and if Sideshow decided to go back on their original statement concerning these figures as to make them "affordable". If you go back to their original press releases, they state that these figures are meant to be more affordable than their Premium format figures, implying that they relalise we all don't want to spend hundreds of dollars per figure. As long as Sideshow sticks to this promise, I have no problems whatever their reasoning for raising their prices slightly. If a year from now I start seeing single figures (Jabba excluded) over $100.00, I say then we can take up arms.

If I can see Hasbro's action figures jumping from $4 to now $7, then why can't everyone see that as well for SS? I don't see everyone griping that about Hasbro at this moment.

If the cost of action figures rises, then that means the cost to make them has also risen. That being the case, it is a good incentive as to why SS has also risen them. That's economics, folks.

Either accept it, or collect something cheaper-- like Hasbro.

Darklord Dave said:
In regards to the grey Hulk PF, personally I have no problem with them trying to get some of the secondary market action. This is an item that would be selling for double it's retail price before it ships.

If by charging a higher price they can make it less attractive for flippers/scalpers and also give some of the secondary market money to the company that licensed, designed and manufactured the piece -then what's wrong with that?
Dave, I'm sure you know that with an ES of 179 it was already hard enough to get hold of the Grey Hulk PF. Now imagine that on top of that, the piece becomes out of your range just because the company raises a secondary market bonus... I don't see why collectors must be punished because flippers flip, and companies think they are entitle a 'secondary market bonus'. I'm sure you know that a lot of European collectors pay high shipping fees and taxes as well. I hope we don't reach a point where there's two kinds on SSC collectors: those that can afford to pay the SSC bonus, and those that can't. Oh, and I forgot the third kind (<-- throw in some halloween music), those that simply won't.
Again, there's nothing wrong with a reasonable price. I think a secondary market bonus is not reasonable.

Darklord Dave said:

Actually, Disney is the most expensive license and LFL's "huge chunk" is sometimes not as huge as you might think and varies from company to company.

Trust me, I know this. I have both friends within LFL and friends who have had "Star Wars" licenses in the past or worked for companies that did. While Sideshow is indeed having to provide LFL with nice kick-backs they aren't exactly being bent over a barrel here.

Again, the hyperbole seems to be cutting both ways in this debate. The truth is somewhere in between the "SS is price gouging!" and "SS gives LFL all their money!" camps.

Boba Fett said:
If I can see Hasbro's action figures jumping from $4 to now $7, then why can't everyone see that as well for SS? I don't see everyone griping that about Hasbro at this moment.

If the cost of action figures rises, then that means the cost to make them has also risen. That being the case, it is a good incentive as to why SS has also risen them. That's economics, folks.

Either accept it, or collect something cheaper-- like Hasbro.

First off... star wars figures were NEVER $4 unless it was a sale. They started at $4.99 approximately in 1995. It went up $1 with slides and flashback cards but jumped to $6.99 for Episode 1 release and definitely everyone griped about it because those commtech chips sucked.

It went back down to $5.99 with Saga but we also were given loads more accessories so we were definitely happy about that.

It only recently went back up to about $6.99 ish but we also know that Hasbro is giving us far better sculpt and articulation compared to the days of 95 so in a way, I feel that the price increase is somewhat justified.

Hasbro's price changes are also reflective over a span of 10+ years. Sideshow's is within a year, which is why we're wondering how much more we'll have to spend in the future. Definitely not a trend I'd like to be on.

Darklord Dave said:

You're making it sound like, "Hey, it's either us (Sideshow) or the flipper/scalpers that will make the extra money so it might as well be us." That makes SS come across as scalpers themselves.

THEY THEMSELVES are creating the after-market frenzy by limiting these pieces to such low numbers. But that is part of the game, since they are a "collectibles" company.

Sideshow can make the products less attractive for flippers/scalpers by not creating these "50 piece Hulk vs Spidey" or "179 PF Hulk" pieces in the first place. In other words, provide a decent number for both the exclusives and regular editions, make their money and let the aftermarket do it's own thing.

Instead, they might appear to be profitting at the cost of screwing over their potential customers. In the case of the Grey Hulk PF, they pocketed an extra $17,000+ just for painting 179 statues grey...

Darklord Dave said:

I think the one thing that would help cut down on that would be no longer offering the abilty to pre-order with out paying for the item. I know I like the ability to do this but it also allows "flippers" to do this even easier. Now all they do is order the item, sell it on ebay, get there money +profit, then pay for the item. Its a double edge sword it helps us collectors but also helps "flippers". I mean if I could order something I know 100% I will make a profit on before I pay for it I would do it every time if thats what I did for a living. I mean they dont sell it before they have to pay for it they can cancel , no harm no foul. This will not stop them but makes it easier to flip high dollar items.

Back