Mattel BTTF 2 Hoverboard Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went ahead and pre ordered this. I was recently looking at getting one from www.hoverboard.org.uk but at £125 + £223 shipping to Australia - which works out to be a total of AU$514 - i couldn't really justify it. So Mattels $120 asking price plus $48 shipping to Australia doesn't seem so bad. But be warned, the pre-order description says that the money will be "reserved" until the item ships at which point it will be charged by Mattel. That is crap, i could've sworn that stipulation wasn't there initially. So my card has been charged, just not from Mattel, it's been "reserved" by digital river. I've emailed Mattel regarding this and am waiting for a response. I'm glad i'm getting one but Mattel's charging process is dubious at best.

Last edited:
I just don't see how they can put $120 worth in this stuff. Wouldn't accuracy be more desirable than sound effects? Mattel seems to be stuck in the mindset that it has to be a 'toy.'

I would much rather have accurate over sound effects... and I am not siding with Mattel here, but even in the movie it was considered a toy... so it is what it is.

I just hate their tactics, like buy this now or pay the consequence later... oh, and if you do preorder and you don't like it when they reveal the working prop...

TOO BAD for you, because you cannot cancel it... it's bad business all around.

M.

I went ahead and pre ordered this. I was recently looking at getting one from www.hoverboard.org.uk but at £125 + £223 shipping to Australia - which works out to be a total of AU$514 - i couldn't really justify it. So Mattels $120 asking price plus $48 shipping to Australia doesn't seem so bad. But be warned, the pre-order description says that the money will be "reserved" until the item ships at which point it will be charged by Mattel. That is crap, i could've sworn that stipulation wasn't there initially. So my card has been charged, just not from Mattel, it's been "reserved" by digital river. I've emailed Mattel regarding this and am waiting for a response. I'm glad i'm getting one but Mattel's charging process is dubious at best.

Actually that stipulation was there from day one... I had asked people if they had been charged and I never got an answer... thanks for letting me know a d helping make my decision of NOT buying this.

I hope more people pass... they're probably holding all that money to let in gain interest for almost a year and pocket all that extra cash.

M.

That's pretty sleazy, I guess it's, what their defense would be, because unlike past items these are basically being made to order and they don't want people to cancel and leave them with an extra board on their hands...because that would bankrupt them or something?

I hope to hear this issue be brought up and answered in one of the rounds of questions.

Very nice to hear them call out the specific inaccuracies..I was afraid that the whole board was gonna be one big lame sticker and not have the lenticular background.

So the 6" one, does it hover and whoosh too? Does it make the noises? Or is it just a smaller static thing?

So the 6" one, does it hover and whoosh too? Does it make the noises? Or is it just a smaller static thing?
I would guess, at most, it might have the same gliding action on the bottom so it can slide around. But even that is probably unnecessary since it's so light. I'm not holding my breath for any electronics, at that scale I think it'd be too expensive to add to what is basically a free gift.

Just a quick update on my previous comment regarding payment of this item, the "reserved" payment which was charged to my card has now been erased and the money is back on my card. I take back everything i said about Mattel, they're swell. :monkey3

I know I said I wasn't going to order one, but after seeing the video, I have high hopes Mattel will do this thing right. I'm definitely going to order.

Yea, I preordered. I think it's kind of smart of Mattel to say that they won't make it unless they get enough pre-orders. Certainly makes business sense.

Oh and good news, Mattel has said they've already reached their minimum number! Looks like response has been very positive.

That's good news! I hope they stick to their schedule and have this released by the end of the year, my partner has already locked it in as my Christmas present.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150660453299844.408828.57309659843&type=3
"Hoverboard Update-Bob Gale at Mattel!

Back to the Future Fans,

Yesterday was a BIG day at Mattel… we had a production meeting for the Hoverboard and not only did we meet with the original films’ special effects supervisor, Michael Lantieri, and prop maker/special effects expert, MaryAnne Lantieri, but the co-producer and co-writer of the Back to the Future trilogy, Bob Gale, joined us as well!

The entire meeting was shot by BTTF.com and they’ll be posting a video soon. In it, you’ll see that Bob brought in three Hoverboards that were actually used in the films for us to review and measure. We discussed the origins of the board and reviewed prototype concept drawings that Bob brought with him. We also talked with Michael and MaryAnne about how they created the floating effects and practical effects on set. And finally, it turns out that Bob kept all the letters from kids in the ‘80s asking for Hoverboards and had those with him, too!

Have a look at the pics I just posted and I’ll let you know as soon as we hear the video is posted. If you’re interested in the unbelievable amount of work it takes to ensure the authenticity of a prop replica, you will NOT want to miss it!

-Matty"

Back