Mattel BTTF 2 Hoverboard Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out it just links to the order page along with a little closer look at the hoverboard.

Matty_page2.jpg

A few answers from ToyGuru regarding the Hover Board:

Q:Hi Toyguru,

You guys are pulling me into a hoverboard preorder with that 6" exclusive mini hoverboard!

I have to know before I throw down on a preorder--can a human adult stand on the board? If these are furniture pads, it should be able to move a little with some weight on it. I know it can't float, but how much weight can it support?

Many thanks, and keep up the good work!

-CHV

A: At this point we do not know the weight limit, but it is not designed to carry a human or anything else. It is a prop replica to look and sound cool, not actually hover or move someone.

Q: Are we going to get to see a working sample of the hover board and the 6" scale version before you expect us to pre-order? There don't seem to be any details about either item. Are there any lights or sound? Does either roll or come with a stand? It would be nice to have some more information before we are expected to commit to a $120 purchase.

A: It will make all the sounds it did in the film and will glide over most surfaces. If you have the PKE or Ghost Trap you know the quality you will get. We won't get a working model to show off until sometime late summer. Maybe SDCC.

Q: You're producing a 6" scale Hoverboard. Awesome.
How about some figures to go with that?
Are they still off the table, or is there some hope there?
I appreciate your response.
-SH

A: No plans for figures at this time.

Bummer about the 6" figures... I still think it's a pretty stupid move by Mattel, but whatever...

Does not Hover = Is not a Hover board = None of my money!

You fools can have your pink girly toy! I'll wait for the real thing. :impatient:

I cant believe some of you think this is a great deal. Giant piece of plastic with big stickers and velcro and dollar store carpet sliders.

So... does Mattel's terms for Pre-order seem confusing?

Like are you charged right away or in Nov/Dec??

And what the hell is the page still counting down for??

I have the PKE and trap but I don't know if I can even consider pre-ordering without seeing an actual video of the sounds and such... at least with the GB props I had and idea of what to expect sound and light wise.

I really think this should included the handle bars.

M.

So... does Mattel's terms for Pre-order seem confusing?

Like are you charged right away or in Nov/Dec??

And what the hell is the page still counting down for??

I have the PKE and trap but I don't know if I can even consider pre-ordering without seeing an actual video of the sounds and such... at least with the GB props I had and idea of what to expect sound and light wise.

I really think this should included the handle bars.

M.

you get charged when the item ships. the countdown is going up, so i assume that's how long it's been on sale, although i don't know why they would include that. makes no sense.

i'm not going to preorder. if this thing blows me away when it comes out, then i'll pick one up on the secondary market.

Why isn't this being sold for $24.99 at Target? They have plenty of affordable stuff made of plastic with a sticker, velcro strap and a sound chip. I'm really not seeing a justification for the price.

I don't like that Digital River puts an authorization hold on your credit card until Nov/Dec. It's like they are freezing part of your available credit for 9 months. That's just so wrong. They should have just done an NRD like Sideshow to guarantee pre-sales.

I don't like that Digital River puts an authorization hold on your credit card until Nov/Dec. It's like they are freezing part of your available credit for 9 months. That's just so wrong. They should have just done an NRD like Sideshow to guarantee pre-sales.

No company can put an authorization hold on your card for that long. An authorization will fall within 3-5 days.

No company can put an authorization hold on your card for that long. An authorization will fall within 3-5 days.

Uh huh, then how do explain this?

From Matty's site:

How Pre-Orders Work
When you place a pre-order for your Hoverboard, your bank card will be pre-authorized $120 plus shipping/taxes/fees for each Hoverboard you order. Your bank will "reserve" this amount from your available balance until your Hoverboard(s) ships in November/December, at which time you will be charged.

I really HOPE the board Mattel is advertising on their site is a mock up. If not Mattel design needs to go back to the drawing board. The thing looks beyond cheap, The sticker slapped on the board is an inaccurate pattern of zigzags, whereas the bubble/honeycomb pattern was very obvious on the actual prop. I have seen examples of custom made hoverboards, with no where near mattel's budget or resources and they blow the matty version away.

https://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8481097447/m/1371042547
Hoverboard questions answered by Toyguru

It’s here!

Wow, I have personally been waiting to get a BTTF2 Hoverboard ever since my first stop at the Café 80’s. As a lifelong BTTF fan, getting to this official prop replica from Mattel has been a dream come true.

There have been a few top line questions about our amazing new prop replica, so I’d like to try and hit them all here. So what exactly does the Hoverboard do?

The Board will do pretty much everything the “real” Hoverboard does in the movie – except actually Hover.

It will be made of plastic and will house electronics, so as the board is “moved” (i.e., pushing it with your foot or kicking it across the floor) it will make all of the film accurate noises, including the “whoosh” and “buzzing” noises. All will be sampled directly from the original movie sound effects (provided by our amazing partners at Universal!). It will gently glide over most flat surfaces, but as hovering technology is not expected to be invented until 2015, it does not actually leave the ground.

If you have seen our award winning Ghostbusters PKE meter or Ghost Trap prop replicas, you will know the quality to expect. We are putting a huge amount of work into this to ensure it is the most accurate it can be. We’ll even be meeting with several members of the BTTF production crew, including screenwriter Bob Gale and special effects supervisor Michael Lantieri, who will be bringing the original props to Mattel so we can review them and ensure our replica is as accurate as possible.

While the Board is not designed to be a “ride on,” we are working to ensure it holds as much weight as possible as we know a lot of fans will want to stand on it. But it will not support weight to float around on across your floor (that technology simply hasn’t been invented yet!), but it will be the exact same size as the one Marty McFly rode in the films.

We know fans and customers are putting a lot of faith in Mattel by preordering an item you have not held or seen a working final model. But just know that your faith will be rewarded. By pre-ordering now you will guarantee the price of $120 and get an exclusive 6” Hoverboard for use on most Mattel 6” action figures. There will be a very small number of units available in the fall, but the price will be higher and it will not include the 6” Hoverboard. If you are a BTTF fan, now is the time to pre-order as this will be the best was to guarantee you get what is sure to be one of the hottest toys of 2012!

The pre-order is from March 1 through March 20 only – there will definitely not be a sale extension. And while you are visiting Mattycollector.com, be sure to check out our March sale on essentials to start or complete your action figure collection for a variety of brands, like Masters of the Universe Classics, Ghostbusters and Voltron.
Again, this is an extremely limited time offer. Act now as the Hoverboard is being built to order. You may pre-order as many as you want, but once the pre-order closes, availability in the fall will be EXTREMELY limited. I highly suggest pre-ordering to guarantee your Hoverboard at the pre-order price, as well as get the exclusive 6” board for your action figures or desk display!

See you all in 2015!

Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich

That's all good stuff to hear. I guess what makes me scratch my head is why they act like this is so RUSH RUSH RUSH. None of the Ghostbusters props had to be preordered months before you saw them. I mean, I've wanted a hoverboard for a long time and I'm happy we'll see it by this Christmas, but, like, why can't they just make their actual mock up in the next few months, show us at SDCC and have us start ordering it and ship it 7-8 months later from then? Why are we so stuck in this current window? Why do we have to preorder IMMEDIATELY so it can ship by THIS November?

I guess maybe it could be a licensing deal that's going to expire this year, but that seems lame, if Mattel has been sitting on their hands all this time.

Yeah... still don't get the preorder part... any of you actually preorder yet? What has shown up on you statement if anything??

I hate Mattel... I'm really thinking I may pass, the sounds seem cheap, I would almost prefer grabbing one of those kits I see "hovering" around the net where I can build my own.

I think I'd prefer and reversed polarity base than all the stupid sounds that will seem generic in hand.

Quit making this like a kids toy, make it super light and give it a damn display stand that gives the illusion it's hovering.

M.

Man $120 sounds expensive for a hoverboard tha doesn't hover but I'm happy for everyone who's looking forward to this.

Man im torn with this thing. I REALLY want it but I want it done right and I dont wanna comit to it without knowing exactly what im getting. I want a prop not a toy that makes sounds!!!!

I just don't see how they can put $120 worth in this stuff. Wouldn't accuracy be more desirable than sound effects? Mattel seems to be stuck in the mindset that it has to be a 'toy.'

Back