Factory Entertainment Shakems for BTTF, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivek

Super Freak
Reaction score
Heavy Future: Factory Entertainment to release Back to the Future Shakems

Factory Entertainment has acquired the Back to the Future license and they will be rolling out some cool BTTF products in 2013. Starting off with their Shakems line, which are similar to bobbleheads as in mini statues with spring action. The first four BTTF Shakems are as follows.

Doc Brown Shakems
Marty McFly Hoverboard Shakems
DeLorean Time Machine Shakems
Manure Truck Accident Shakems

(Click to enlarge)

These are prototypes and are still in approval stages. Yes, there are no actor likeness on these products and due to the bobblehead type nature of these products, they appear to be more cartoonized versions of the characters. Still the sculpts looks good and costume details are captured quite nicely, but Marty's face needs to be more expressive. Also Doc's costume needs the orange markings and his shoes could use the brown color touch up. Overall it's refreshing to see a company releasing BTTF products beyond DeLorean models. I love the DeLorean Time Machine and I'm looking forward to Hot Wheels releasing their Elite BTTF DeLorean Models in 1:43 and 1:18 scale later this year.

But I also want to see more characters from the BTTF universe being released in the figure and statue format. These Shakems from Factory Entertainment is a good start towards that. And I have to say, that Biff's car filled with manure display is just brilliant. This is what I want to see, a company doing the unconventional and really embracing their acquired licenses. It's great to see that memorable and hilarious moment from the film being captured in a sculpture format like that. More movie scene specific sculptures please.

Mattel acquired the BTTF action figure license along with actor likeness rights back in 2011 and then backed out from producing the figures. Hot Toys has acquired the BTTF license along with likeness rights, though I am not sure if we will see any figures in 2013. From what I discussed with Factory Entertainment, they seem very passionate about the BTTF franchise and I think they will do the BTTF line justice. Also FE makes movie prop replicas, so maybe down the line we can finally have a company doing accurate BTTF prop replicas.

Last month I got the Universal Monsters - Frankenstein Limited Edition VFX Bust from Factory Entertainment. And it's a gorgeous piece of art. I can only hope FE manages to get actor likeness rights and releases more similar BTTF character products in the future.

Cool we're getting more BTTF and Ghostbusters stuff, but these look so cheap that I'm not all that interested. Funny, I thought the Biff car covered in manure is a real WTF idea :lol Who would buy that, apart from a very few hardcore fans? I guess his hand bobbles?

Those Stay Pufts look freaky.

I'm always excited to see new Jaws merch, but I'm not really digging the bobbly aesthetic. The style of the sculpts and paint work on these almost makes them look like they're made of fondent and intended to be very elaborate cakes!

Which gives me an idea. I think for my next birthday I TOTALLY need a Jaws cake.

Funny, I thought the Biff car covered in manure is a real WTF idea :lol Who would buy that, apart from a very few hardcore fans?
I am definitely buying it and some others might buy it too. (Though Ultimate BTTF Collectible is stretching it for catchy title). But I understand why some may be put off by it. I still think it's a cool obscure product. I am having high hopes for FE, this is just the start. As I mentioned above, there is potential for more better BTTF products, be it figures, statues, busts or prop replicas from FE.

I'm not a fan of Factory Entertainment. They're way overpriced for what we get but Jurassic Park.... :monkey2

Factory Entertainment did a great Job with the Princess Bride Statues, and they did go on sale cheap. I don't like the "Bobblehead" Style but if they do more "mature" stuff I may jump on these new lines.

The new definition of ugly....

How can companies with products like that exist nowadays?

Factory Entertainment used to be another company and that company constantly showed interesting licenses at trade shows but never came through with the goods. I will never be fooled by them again,i have seen a lot of realy cool statues,busts and figures that never got made.

Why making these so cartoonish? I don't get it. They would sell a lot more if they were going for a realistic look.

And my next question is, if they got the Jurassic Park license, why in the hell SS does not?

When I saw Jurassic park I got excited but seeing the product almost made me cry that is horrible sideshow or another good company need to do Jurassic park because this bad

Hi All..

Oh man - I have some damage control to do here :)

My name is Tyler and I am the new Art Director at Factory Entertainment. I started right after Toy Fair. (For some background, I sculpted a few of their upcoming replicas as a freelancer - like the Creature From The Black Lagoon Fossil hand, and the upcoming Wolf Man cane...)

Anyhow - Everything we showed at Toy Fair Shakem wise were First draft sculpt prototypes. Literally, many of them it was the first time WE had even seen them. Since then, extensive sculptural revisions have been sent to the artists (albiet, some needed more than others) and I have personally undertaken resculpting a lot of the facial likenesses.

And I mean, I get it - There are limitations to what we can get with a product like this. Im a collector too so, ya... I understand people who collect sideshow and hot toys saying they arent for them. But just so you dont write them off based on first appearances, know that we are working on getting them as good as we can (and I mean that sincerely as a fan and sculptor)

You can always email me at [email protected] as well if you want any updates or have a question or really anything!

Thanks everyone.

Tyler

Are Marty and doc going to be in the same scale as your princess bride shakems? I'd be interest in picking them up if the heads were 1/6 scale

That is if the sculpts are revised to capture more likeness

Hi tbay -

No they are actually scaled more proportionately.. Like not so much "big bobble head" and more 6" scale size. I actually just resculpted Marty's face a few days ago :)

i think bases need to be changed up not all have the name bases also if the jurassic park stuff comes out better than what ive seen in the pics im in just give them unique bases ,sculpts and paint the jurassic park collectibles deserve. do you have any new pics ,or updates of the jurassic park ?

Hi Mike -

Some of this isnt really in our control.... There are standards based on the licensor that require named bases, etc... What kind of bases would you like to see, for example?

i guess anything different than that its all the same base with a different piece on top for the vehicle make the road with the track ,just different looking bases for each collectible something like sideshows jurassic park piece

To be honest, the jeep and Trex have the same base because its supposed to be based on the chase scene, but Ill see if we can do something different with the raptor hatchling and the Dilo!

Back