Kubricks Jabba the Hutt (etc.)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only care about figures representing the characters I want. But what do you do when freakin' Grand Moff Tarkin is a chase? Or chest-burster Kane from Alien? You pay up is what you do.

I like the chases, it made the blind boxes more fun. I used to do well whenever I would preorder a box from a place like BBTS. I remember scoring a Endor han is my Series 5 box, General Veers with my Series 6 box and 2 Blue Royal Guards in the Series 7 box. Once Series 8 hit, Medicom was focusing on PT...and my focus was on OT. I had to get out instead of keeping up. I never went out and spent the crazy money that the chases would bring individually.

I sort of like the idea of the chases -- you're right that it makes opening the boxes fun. But even when I get one, I usually just sell it to pay for the rest of the figures. I got into Kubricks a little late, but managed to get an unopened Series 6 box and got a Tarkin chase in it, so I sold it. Bottom line is that it wasn't worth over $100 to me to have a little Tarkin figure. Same with the blue Snaggletooth.

I personally can't stand blind boxes. I like knowing what I'm getting, and I think that is a common sentiment in the U.S. (where blind boxes are nowhere near as popular a marketing gimmick as they are in Japan/Hong Kong). But also, I'm not a fan of extremely rare items simply for the sake that they are rare. If it is a figure I want, that's that, regardless of how common or rare it is. If I did like figures with 1/96 ratios, I would probably be a stronger advocate of the blind box idea. Because you can then minimize the scalping at stores by people who will do nothing but hunt for the packages that you know have the rarer figures (like some of the previous Marvel Legends releases, for instance). But then again, I have seen lots of open "Lost" Kubrick boxes at Urban Outfitters. . .

The blind box idea is was one of the things that made me collect Kubricks in the first place. I never liked that the SW kubs had each character on them so you kinda knew what you were getting but the chance of pulling a rare chase was intriguing. Busting open those little boxes was such a high. :)

Had a few thoughts on possible ESB chases I would like to see:

Crysis Chamber Luke in chamber
Han with respirator when they were on the asteroid
Chewie with C3PO parts on his back combo

Han with welding goggles?

I only care about figures representing the characters I want. But what do you do when freakin' Grand Moff Tarkin is a chase? Or chest-burster Kane from Alien? You pay up is what you do.

Chase figures can spoil collecting faster than anything else I can think off, because they ultimately serve only scalpers.

That is why I stopped collecting Star Wars Kubricks because of the disrespect it shows collectors to make key characters secrets. When it was a Sandtrooper pauldron variant, an non SW figure like Indy or even blue Snaggletooth it was one thing. When Veers and Tarkin were both chases I quit. That was a giant 'f@%k you' from Medicom.

Kubricks are overpriced in typical Medicom fashion to begin with and it is insane to pay more for a 6 cm figure than a full HT or even RAH 1:6 figure.

And the Indiana Jones chase figure is also slightly different in color (and maybe some details?) from the Indiana Jones that came with the bearbrick idol.
I meant to respond to this previously, but guess I didn't. If anyone cares to know, the Indiana chase is far different from the Be@rbrick 2-pack. They have different hats, different faces, and as you say, slightly different colored clothes and different accessories.

Kubricks are overpriced in typical Medicom fashion to begin with and it is insane to pay more for a 6 cm figure than a full HT or even RAH 1:6 figure.
I tend to agree with you (especially about the part of them being over-priced from the get-go), but when you collect something, price can sometimes cease to be a factor. A couple years ago I never would have imagined spending $50+ on a 2-3 inch plastic toy, but I've done it, and will probably end up doing it again for one of the Croc Cap Naked Snakes.

Quick update on my collection!!

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

:chew

It's one of those damn exclusive 5 packs. I would like to buy it and sell the others, but you'll still end up paying a crap-load for that single figure because the others aren't nearly as popular.

I agree. Makes me wish that I still collected those. I figured that was it with the OT Kubs line. I sold them figuring I'd never be able to get a Chewbacca or R2-D2 without getting an early bird kit. Good to see these new sets though!!

Same really. I sold all my SW Kubs when they moved onto the PT.

Luckily I managed to snag a bulk collection of 38 OT figures to get me back in the line.

Back