Unwittingly bought a character from an established line/IP

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
First and foremost, I go for character design when I want to build my collection. I like unique pieces that make a statement. It's difficult for me to keep track of all the new characters coming out from video games, streaming platforms, etc, primarily because I avoid social media. During Covid lockdown, I got obsessed with learning about the black plague. Plague doctors began to fascinate me. I unsuccessfully tried building my own figure first, then I came upon this: The Raven Hunter - Special Version - T 1/6 Scale Figure

bloodborne.jpg

I made some mods, and I really like this character. Then I found out the character was from the video game Bloodborne. Kinda soured me on having this as my plague doctor after that.

This one was one of my few Toys Wonderland orders. It was in stock and ready to go, so I ordered him straight away as he was super limited. I liked the clothes, especially the sneakers.

dragonball.jpg

Turns out the head at least is from Dragonball Z. I know nothing about that franchise, so combining this character with another would be awkward until I do my research, and honestly, I do not want to research Dragonball Z.

Anybody else have other stories about unintentionally buying a character you know nothing about?

I recently intentionally bought a character from something I knew nothing about!

I bought a cute plastic/plush hybrid doll at London Drugs for my niece, and had to go back into the store and buy another for myself.

20231205_111522.jpg

Apparently her name is Grizelda, from a show called "True and the Rainbow Kingdom"

I looked into the show, and it's exactly the type of show my niece would like, so at Christmas I'm going to give her the doll and watch some episodes on Youtube with her. :)

Last edited:
Here are two more from almost 10 years ago. They were in a videogame, but I forget which one

verycool-mercinary adam.jpeg

verycool-medicated psychopath.jpg

I'm going to give them some extra battle damage and set them up in a display

Anybody else have other stories about unintentionally buying a character you know nothing about?

^

I bought some figures on clearance from a series like the above ( but I don't think it was exactly that line/brand) from Toys R Us over 17+ years ago. Probably more than that. The swords were about scale to use for 1/6th in the set. It was a cat woman type figure. She looked human-ish, but also like a tiger , again kind of like the above. It was well made but there wasn't much 6-8 inch figure support back then other than McFarlane.

My best guess is people will venture outside their normal collecting when it's clearance. Also I'll take a guess is the big draw might be the accessories. I know many people who bought the McFarlane Strange Brew sets for the accessories ( beer bottles, beer cases, food, grill, etc) even though many had never seen the source film itself. Even the guy in the video below says he got the two figures just for the accessories.

Back