James Cameron's AVATAR A.M.P. Suit Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avatar pre-order next week..

I think the price is fair, still hard to swallow, but fair. I think the sheer size and detail is an amazing achievement. There is nothing else like it, it looks awesome!! :rock

Affortable,just stop going to the ball park for a year,and you will have twice as much.:D

I dislike sports,never watch but let's see...

Baseball ticket = 50.00
Hot Dog X 2 = 10.00
Beer X 2 = 15.00
Parking = 5.00

Total = 80.00 X 15 games = $1.200 :cool:

Last edited:

Are the dimensions quoted on the product page for this correct? In the photos above you can see it sitting next to the Evil Queen PF and that is only 22" high, so the 30" quoted as the height of the AMP seem srather dubious, unless they are planning to make the final product bigger to justify the price?

Their is no way that thing is 30" tall...thats almost the hight of the 1/2 Iron man. What??...12lbs?...something 30" tall and that big only weighs 12lbs:confused: Its must be made of plastic or fiberglass...so sorry plastic is not worth $1200. Its cool and all...but I have no desire to buy this thing until I've seen the movie and get more info on the materials used in this piece.

Chris

Last edited:

I read in other posts that ss usually screws up the advertised weight spec on a maquette and then corrects it later on. I think this happened with the 1:1 predalien bust for example. But as far as them screwing up the dimensions, I've not come across that...

I read in other posts that ss usually screws up the advertised weight spec on a maquette and then corrects it later on. I think this happened with the 1:1 predalien bust for example. But as far as them screwing up the dimensions, I've not come across that...

Well if it isn't 30" I'm canceling without penalties.Just grabbed a screen shot for future references.

You guys have fun with this one!!!

:wave

If I didn't order the Vader bust, I'm sure as heck not gonna order this. Way out of my price range--and for an untested property.

It's nice. No doubt. But too rich for my blood. Rather have a figure/statue of Jake anyway.

Like everybody here, I caught the trailer earlier and it really brought me back to earth. But that's neither here nor there. The AMP suit prototype in the video from Comic Con is HUGE but can't be 30 inches tall-- more like 24 at best if that. I would say its probably 1/8 scale. That's the same scale as my Volks 1/8 limited edition Scopedog resin kit with Chirico Cuvie figure from the anime VOTOMS that cost me about a grand (100,000 yen) and that I have been working on for over three years. In fact the Cameron AMP looks a lot like the Scopedog but of course that's not surprising since it was probably Cameron's way of giving a tip of the hat to the creators of VOTOMS in the first place since Jim is a huge anime fan. I'd say I'll pass on this, but when it's all said and done, $1200 is probably a good deal for this. That's just my two cents...

I do really want this film to be good and do well at the box office. To me it looks very promising, so I'm not understanding some of the pre-mature hate for it. This maquette looks like it would be a great piece to add to the collection.

I just dont see why SS didnt wait for a release date closer to the opening day of the movie. They did it with Terminator salvation and their 1:1 T-600 bust. Why the hell would they release a piece for a movie 4 months away?....I dont even know who the character is standing beside the giant robot:confused: Did they actually think this would sell well based on the hype of the movie? bad timing SS....

However, if the movie turns out to be a success then I see this piece selling out within hours after the movie release.

Chris

:lol I just realized the little army soldier is the same actor who played Ike Clanton in Tombstone! "Law don't go around her Law-dog!"

The price is not what's getting me at the moment...it's the non-refundable deposit of $240 that's due a month before the movie is released. I love the concept art that's been shown so far for Avatar, but if the movie is all style with no substance...well, at the end of the day, a golden turd is still just a turd.

The price is not what's getting me at the moment...it's the non-refundable deposit of $240 that's due a month before the movie is released. I love the concept art that's been shown so far for Avatar, but if the movie is all style with no substance ...well, at the end of the day, a golden turd is still just a turd.

A little harsh, I'd say. This is Cameron.

I gotta say people, this is a James Cameron movie. He did Titanic for crying out loud. Terminator....Aliens....ring a bell! Not only are these movies iconic but have pushed the boundaries of cinema. Avatar is no different. So what if the Na'vi creatures dont look 100% photoreal, this movie still conveys the best CG we have seen thus far and dont forget, its meant to be seen in 3D.

And we are not talking Coraline 3d at your local theater either. Those are movies made in 2d and converted to 3d, this movie was filmed using a camera made to shoot the movie IN 3D. So in other words, no more eyes hurting and half way decent 3d.

Also, if you have seen the trailer you have to remind yourself that the vegetation in the forest and pretty much everything but the humans are CG!!!

But lastly, the most important point of all- THE STORY. In the end, its all about the story. This movie will have heart. All those other tools and technologies are just that, they are tools to aid in the story telling. Cameron has spent the last 14 years waiting for the technology to match his vision, heck he and his team had to invent stuff just to pull it off. It will change the way we see movies and give us reason to go the theaters rather than download pirated movies.

I will be seeing the sneak peak on avatar day and ill chime in what I think.

All that aside, the amp maquette looks great! The price tag not so much. What has me confused is the 30" tall measurement by sideshow. I have seen Pitu's video of the amp at comic con and it was no 30". Thats taller than my ironman bust. And only weighs 12 lbs! For that price it better be 30" tall and have mixed media and lights or at least some metal parts and weigh over 20lbs. But if its just plastic and sideshow made an error on the height, there better only be 100 made to justify that price.

Yeah, i pulled the trigger and ordered one-Couldnt help myself. I just think this movie and franchise is gonna be another James Cameron home run. And I love mech's too!

Well if it isn't 30" I'm canceling without penalties.Just grabbed a screen shot for future references.

Pre-ordered. For everyone...

You guys have fun with this one!!!

:wave

If I didn't order the Vader bust, I'm sure as heck not gonna order this. Way out of my price range--and for an untested property.

:rotfl

I'm being priced out of collecting too... even though I would never get this anyway.

Pre-ordered. For everyone...

Thanks for grabbing that screenshot. If you watch the sideshow video on the amp they mention at the end that it is 22" tall. I have a feeling their stated dimensions might be a bit off and I hope the weight is too. Please put some metal or aluminum parts in there because $1200 for plastic is tough to swallow

:naughty
Canceled mine it isn't 30" :chew

:horror you did?? I dunno, I actually think 22 or 20 is reasonable. 30 is just shy of three feet, it would look like a kid's robot toy if it was that big. I think 20-22 elegantly captures the details of a maquette like this.

Back