J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be fine if they completely left out V'ger, that was horrible.

Yup, that plot is good for a TV show episode, but too slow and not grand and epic enough of an adventure for a film. Perhaps back when it first came out and you went from the show to that movie, it was a huge leap, but by Wrath of Khan it was already made a smaller film.

The way I see it, at least three things SHOULD still happen. 1 - Khan is still around somewhere. 2 - V'ger will still come to Earth. 3 - the probe will still come looking for whales. These are events that had no connection to anything in the time line as they were events set about even before the time line change.

Yep I was thinking about these things too. However, chronologically these things still shouldn't happen until the crew are into their 40s, 50s and 60s surely? So even in the unlikely event that anyone desired to retell these stories according to the new timeline, it would never happen in a film with these actors. I can't see Pine&Quinto etc doing this through 4 decades like the original cast. Of the 3 things you mention the Khan story is easily the most likely and most possible candidate but they'd still be pushing it forward a bit I imagine.

On another note I wonder has Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager been wiped out of existance?

i say screw all the old stuff.

i say, forget what trek used to be, and let abrams n gang work on what trek CAN (and should) be. exploration, discovery, adventure.

abrams already did the right thing by moving into new territory with this movie. to me, the logical next step would be to develop new villains, new challenges, new character arcs and new worlds for this crew.

going back to familiar villains and situations is a recipe for disaster. because that would very likely lead back to the same terrible rut the last few trek efforts (tv and movies) had fallen into.

feel free to flame me now. :D

i say, forget what trek used to be, and let abrams n gang work on what trek CAN (and should) be. exploration, discovery, adventure.

The problem I fear is that there won't be any room for exploration and discovery with the series being film only. Everything will have to be an action-packed adventure with stories on an epic scale.

i say screw all the old stuff.

abrams already did the right thing by moving into new territory with this movie. to me, the logical next step would be to develop new villains, new challenges, new character arcs and new worlds for this crew.

going back to familiar villains and situations is a recipe for disaster. because that would very likely lead back to the same terrible rut the last few trek efforts (tv and movies) had fallen into.

feel free to flame me now. :D

No flaming from me! I'd rather they did like you said. It's already been done once, we don't need to see it again.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Borg, but.....
NO FERENGI! :lol

Actually, that's exactly what I hope Abrams has set himself up to do. The original Star Trek is classic and really shouldn't be messed with anyways. The story is in a perfect position to be compltely different from anything ever done before and I hope that's what happens and the similarities and tie-ins to what has already been done is kept to a minimum.

Honestly, I feel the Borg have been explored inside and out in TNG, Voyager and the movie. We know what they are, what they can do, how they can change, etc. etc. Move on to something new, and forget the Borg, I say.

By the way, loved the movie. Looking forward to where they go from here.

The problem I fear is that there won't be any room for exploration and discovery with the series being film only. Everything will have to be an action-packed adventure with stories on an epic scale.

Exactly. I love Abram's take, I love the cast, but 4-6 hours worth of film out of all that just doesn't feel like enough, 24-48 hours worth of shows over a few seasons would be great. Yes, the Kirk crew has been a show before, but this is not the same Kirk crew and there's room for the show to be totally different from the original series. The only catch is, it'd have to be this cast, that's the selling point, if they couldn't keep this cast I'm not sure I'd be into a TV series but if they had all these guys, they could skimp on FX budget and all, just afford good writers and actors and you'd have a winner.

I think this will add pressure for the 2nd movie too. This is the first Trek movie where it's starting characters off. Both the original cast and the TNG films were after many seasons of establishing characters and were just larger than small screen adventures with them. Now, you're trying to sum up seasons worth of story and character development in a few short films. Not impossible, and I have faith in Abrams after this movie, but still, no easy task at all, and you can't totally live off of pre-existing character development from the Shatner days, this isn't Shatner Kirk, these are new takes with similar traits that will grow and develop into different versions of these characters, you have to develop them in the new films as if the first series did not exist.

A TV series doesn't feel probable. Especially with this cast. Quinto is the only one from a TV background and even then unless it were an NBC show, I don't think he'd be able to handle both shows. Pine is hot right now and I could see him willing to do more Treks but not folding into a show, same with Urban, Saldana even Pegg. I could see Yelchin and Cho though being game. A show to me seems more like the movies have ran their course and the actors for some reason couldn't find work or only one gets consistant enough work and then they go back and do it like the rumors of the Buffy show.

I don't think I want to see someone stepping in trying to do a Pine impression while he is already filling a Shatner role not to mention that if the cast doesn't sign up I'm not sure about having a different cast in film and one running around in TV.

The only shot right now I think for a new show would be to call it "Starfleet" and focus on new characters going through the motions of surviving Cadethood and having cameos of the film cast to help keep continuity.

The only shot right now I think for a new show would be to call it "Starfleet" and focus on new characters going through the motions of surviving Cadethood and having cameos of the film cast to help keep continuity.

And that is something I would love to see.

There's an idea.

That basically sums up the two ways I'd like a show from all this.

1. Same cast in a TV Series.

2. Same production team, all new characters.

You'd have to really come up with some strong new characters, but if they could do that and Abrams was still behind it, I think it could work.

As good as the cast was, the big success factor is the foundation the writers could work from. The original cast Trek, and even TNG, have a solid mix of personalities and relationships between the characters. That's where post TNG failed, less and less that all worked and was present. It's so important.

A series focusing on Starfleet and the cadet process could create strong characters AND add to existing lore. Imagine seeing how cadets are trained, keeping it in the TOS era, then watching some cadets moving onto active duty, the troubles with relationships in Starfleet. It would be great.

I just had a really good idea. Abrams should reboot the TNG cast, but planned to be a TV series. Same concept, take existing characters that worked, but explore them from an all new angle. You don't even need to create an alternate time line, just explore their early days. So many of them were fairly older, you rarely saw much of their background. How fun would it be seeing Data's creation from day one, Worf's early days as a Klingon warrior before Starfleet, the Kitomer massacre, see Picard in his youth, maybe more headstrong like Kirk before getting older and wiser. I don't remember if they ever said Geordi was blind since birth or not, if not, explore early days with him seeing and tragedy of losing his sight. I think there's a lot of room to explore those characters before we met them in the first series.

I just had a really good idea. Abrams should reboot the TNG cast, but planned to be a TV series. Same concept, take existing characters that worked, but explore them from an all new angle. You don't even need to create an alternate time line, just explore their early days. So many of them were fairly older, you rarely saw much of their background. How fun would it be seeing Data's creation from day one, Worf's early days as a Klingon warrior before Starfleet, the Kitomer massacre, see Picard in his youth, maybe more headstrong like Kirk before getting older and wiser. I don't remember if they ever said Geordi was blind since birth or not, if not, explore early days with him seeing and tragedy of losing his sight. I think there's a lot of room to explore those characters before we met them in the first series.

That's a great idea! Just add tons of lens flare and it might work!

I don't think they'd put the money into these days. Too expensive. That why we see so much crap on tv now.

Back