J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HortaSpockPAIN.jpg

PAIIIINNNNN!!!!!! :lol

I love that episode. :rock

I'm not a Trekkie, and I'm not a Trekker.

I just like good TV, good movies, and good sci-fi.

There.

Now it has been a few days after seeing the movie, I keep thinking about this new alternative future.
The first one that springs to mind is that somebody will still have to travel back in time to get some Humpbacked whales.

Now it has been a few days after seeing the movie, I keep thinking about this new alternative future.
The first one that springs to mind is that somebody will still have to travel back in time to get some Humpbacked whales.

And seeing that Vulcan doesn't exist anymore, Spock couldn't undergo the mind-body transfer thing (sorry, forgot the technical term), so he will remain a vegetable after Genesis explodes.

Wait...

We could assume that the gang never encounters Khan, everything has really altered, except, as Dino has so astutely pointed out, the "whale-probe" arriving that has no connection with any events except the extermination of whales which has already happened in this timeline.

So... good chance that Earth will perish in the year 2286, as only Spock seemed to come up with the solution at the critical moment and was in a position to do something about it. :horror

OR a healthy Spock, never encountering Khan and having to go through his own personal real-life Kobayashi Maru, will be able to save the day anyway. :duh

Beren

And seeing that Vulcan doesn't exist anymore, Spock couldn't undergo the mind-body transfer thing (sorry, forgot the technical term), so he will remain a vegetable after Genesis explodes.

Wait...

We could assume that the gang never encounters Khan, everything has really altered, except, as Dino has so astutely pointed out, the "whale-probe" arriving that has no connection with any events except the extermination of whales which has already happened in this timeline.

So... good chance that Earth will perish in the year 2286, as only Spock seemed to come up with the solution at the critical moment and was in a position to do something about it. :horror

OR a healthy Spock, never encountering Khan and having to go through his own personal real-life Kobayashi Maru, will be able to save the day anyway. :duh

Beren

Who is to say Kirk has a son with Dr.Marcus then? and i think that prevents the Genesis project from even happending and the probe coming to seek out humpback whales is now totally erased i think..this is a clean slate now and i think the events in the other timeline are not going to happend in this new one.

Who is to say Kirk has a son with Dr.Marcus then? and i think that prevents the Genesis project from even happending and the probe coming to seek out humpback whales is now totally erased i think..this is a clean slate now and i think the events in the other timeline are not going to happend in this new one.

Exactly! As in the old timeline, Kirk meets Carol and has David BEFORE he becomes Captain of the Enterprise. So without David having existed, and without his adding of the protomatter that caused the Genesis experiment to work in the first place... it will never go down the way it did.

And Spock will not have to sacrifice himself to save the crew at all. But I do think about the fact that the whales are still gone and so the probe will still come one day and need to be dealt with.

The Khan situation doesn't have to happen the same way or at all. Because Kirk and company found the Botany Bay at the perfect time, the stasis tubes were failing. Khan's tube even started to fail as they were trying to get him out of it. So he could very well die before they ever meet, which is interesting to think about. Or he could be awakened by someone else and not ever develop his fixation on Kirk. Anything could happen on the Khan front, because he only hated Kirk because he marooned him on Seti Alpha VI.

But in this new timeline almost anything is possible, they could touch on somewhat familiar things from episodes but have them play out in an entirely new way. It's a different world altogether.

Khan does exist though--he and his followers are out there asleep in that old space ship.

What follows next would be the TV show, not the movies.

That's what I meant. The Botany Bay was floating in space, with it's inhabitants locked in their containment units. When the Enterprise found them in the episode Space Seed, the units were failing. Several of his group had died already, and as they were standing there...Khan's was facing the same failure.

So if Kirk finds them earlier, more will live and new events will unfold altogether. If he finds them later, Khan will have died in his sleep. And even if he does find him, there is no guarantee that Khan will hate the new Kirk or even try to steal the ship like he did last time. And if he did, there isn't any guarantee that Kirk would maroon him on a planet somewhere like he did before.

Plus, if Pine's Kirk finds him the way his persona is in this first film, the events would unfold much differently. Kirk was quite diplomatic in Space Seed, caluclating, studying, but this new young Kirk is so headstrong, I imagine a Kirk-Khan face off would unfold much differently and would be quite interesting, but Khan has to be written very similar, that's what made him work, the intellectual, ^^^^, arrogant super being.

Plus, if Pine's Kirk finds him the way his persona is in this first film, the events would unfold much differently. Kirk was quite diplomatic in Space Seed, caluclating, studying, but this new young Kirk is so headstrong, I imagine a Kirk-Khan face off would unfold much differently and would be quite interesting, but Khan has to be written very similar, that's what made him work, the intellectual, ^^^^, arrogant super being.

What's funny is that Kirk is like that as well. He is arrogant and flashy (much like Han Solo ;) ) so seeing him with a villain this way would be interesting because it'd be one interstellar game of chicken.

What's funny is that Kirk is like that as well. He is arrogant and flashy (much like Han Solo ;) ) so seeing him with a villain this way would be interesting because it'd be one interstellar game of chicken.

Yup, but much like classic Trek, Kirk would still need Spock to aid in understanding the intelligence side of Khan. In many ways, Kirk and Khan are great adversaries because of their similarities, but their differences allow either one to overcome the other and it's about who can capitalize best on that. Kirk won in Wrath because he Khan was too consumed by vengeance and Kirk knew it and played it right into his hands.

The way I see it, at least three things SHOULD still happen. 1 - Khan is still around somewhere. 2 - V'ger will still come to Earth. 3 - the probe will still come looking for whales. These are events that had no connection to anything in the time line as they were events set about even before the time line change.

The one thing that can not happen is that they can't get the George and Graci whales because if Pine's crew goes back in time to get them they will bump into Shatner's crew because original trek still shares that timeline. Same thing goes for First Contact and all the other times that Trek has travelled into in the past before the Romulan ship arrived.

I had that exact same thought, but wouldn't it be funny to just throw in a shot of Nero blasting the whale probe as he passes it by.

The way I see it, at least three things SHOULD still happen. 1 - Khan is still around somewhere. 2 - V'ger will still come to Earth. 3 - the probe will still come looking for whales. These are events that had no connection to anything in the time line as they were events set about even before the time line change.

I'd be fine if they completely left out V'ger, that was horrible.

Back