J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though I understand what you guys are saying about the "ripple effect" of the time travel, etc., recall that somehow, all the original Star Trek crew ended up together on the Enterprise, despite all the crap that happened. Kirk became Captain sooner than he should have, and Scotty should not have met up with those guys in the way that he did (recall that Spock "Prime" said it was "interesting" or "fascinating" that they happened to run across him the way they did, implying as much).

That tells me that there are aspects of "fate" to this new series that certain things will happen irrespective of the "ripple effects" of Nero, etc. Extrapolating from that, if the original crew were destined to serve together, maybe the TNG crew were, as well.

Also, as Mirakle said, writers could come along and disregard the effect of the time travel as much as they wanted, or they could make "minor" changes--Picard is half-Romulan, data is a woman, etc.--and keep the core of those characters around, if they wanted to.

Yes I agree.
Kirk for instance reprogramed the kobayashi maru test in both Timelines

True. If my research though has led me to the right destination then Spock never took it

As Spock had not entered Starfleet Academy as a command track cadet, he did not take the Kobayashi Maru test while there. In his death scene at the conclusion of The Wrath of Khan, he would describe his sacrifice as his solution to the scenario

So in old canon did he write it? If not, there is a serious change. Instead of bypassing it Spock became the originator of it.

While Kirk may have cheated in both, in the Prime Universe he was awarded a commendation for "original thinking." In this one he was brought up on charges for cheating and suspended with possible expulsion. I'd say that is a serious deviation if the internet is correct of course.

While Kirk may have cheated in both, in the Prime Universe he was awarded a commendation for "original thinking." In this one he was brought up on charges for cheating and suspended with possible expulsion. I'd say that is a serious deviation if the internet is correct of course.

Nothing in the films state that Spock wrote the test, though you can sort of surmise it by his awareness of how cadets perform on it as well as Star Trek V's mention of how Spock was used to test the escapability of the new brig design. They paint the picture that Spock is a great resource to Starfleet for his knowledge.

As far as the change in the reaction to Kirk's actions, I think it's a natural deviation. In the Prime timeline, conceivably his father may have made a huge mark on Starfleet and being Kirk's son may have favored him in the handling of it all, plus, Nero's attack could have reshaped all of Starfleet, policies, leadership.

Which means that even in that part which is the point of comparison between the Prime and Current Universes there is a deviation.

Yes, there's deviation. Wrath of Khan made it sound like if you got graded on the Kobayashi Maru, Kirk didnt' pass or fail, he just got an honorable mention for his cleverness.

I'm aware that it's not canon, but here is what the WOK novelization says..

"Dr. McCoy chuckled. "Why, Lieutenant, you're lookin' at the only Starfleet cadet ever to beat that simulation."
"I almost got myself tossed out of the Academy, too," Jim said. He thought about the time, took out his glasses, and looked at his chronometer again. Not quite yet.
"How did you beat it?"
"I reprogrammed the simulation so I could save the ship."
"What?"
Jim felt rather amused to have startled Saavik so thoroughly.
"I changed the conditions of the test." He smiled. He was not a wizard computer programmer himself; fortunately one of his Academy classmates not only was, but could never resist a challenge. It was Jim, though, who had staged the commando raid -- or cat burglary, since noone figured out what he had done till quite a while later -- on the supposedly secure storage facility where the simulation programs were kept, in order to substitute his versions for Starfleet's.
"The instructor couldn't decide whether to die laughing or blow her stack. I think she finally flipped a coin. I recieved a commendation for original thinking." With a smile, he shrugged. "I don't like to lose."

anyway, I think you get the idea, I think Abrams and his team read the same book as me. :D

Perhaps, but there was still no one giving him credit for original thinking, at least not directly, they ignored it in light of his heroics rescuing Pike and gave him the ship.

Right. In Prime Universe he was looked at as an innovator and credited for smart thinking. In this "Composite" new Universe he ONLY got off the hook because of his heroics with Pike against Nero. Had he not made his way onto the Enterprise he'd had been drummed out of the academy.

This is a fun discussion. What else we can we discuss? Makes me wish I had gone back and learned the Star Trek Canon....almost.

lens glare, lens glare, lens glare.

What the hell was up with that?

This is a fun discussion. What else we can we discuss? Makes me wish I had gone back and learned the Star Trek Canon....almost.

Well, I'm not familiar with the TV show, but as far as the old Trek movies, the only love interest Uhura had with the Crew was Scotty in Star Trek 5, very interesting to see a special connection between her and Spock. Nimoy Spock never struck me as one for being into ladies, he seemed like a monk.

Spock had a few ladies in the original series. My personal favorite was the Romulan Commander in "The Enterprise Incident" (one of the only highlights of season three, IMO).

Only time it annoyed me was when I watched the "nu Spock meets Scotty" clip.
:lol

It didn't bother me when watching the movie.

Spock had a few ladies in the original series. My personal favorite was the Romulan Commander in "The Enterprise Incident" (one of the only highlights of season three, IMO).

Yeah, Spock had a few ladies... But in the old Trek, he was so reserved that he didn't make that leap. Now, however... since he is a bit more comfortable with his human side... I can see him being a bit less contained emotionally. And that means being flexible enough to sustain a relationship.

The real question is "Will Uhura be able to handle Spock's logic for long?". Time will have to tell.

I wonder if Spock will grow the beard in this Timeline? :)
mirror_spock.jpg

Back