InArt Thorin Oakenshield 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! There it is! The blue strap across his chest is the for the Orcrist scabbard, right?
Yes, they may be still working on Orcrist tho, it looks like they have bits and pieces set out. I can't imagine Orcrist is that easy to do at scale.
If you really wanted to be fussy there's those 4 jewels in the pommel and like that. Which are/were white sapphires. Except I could only afford the United Cutlery version.

They're not showing a hand selection either, so assume this is just an early look.

Last edited:
Yes, they may be still working on Orcrist tho, it looks like they have bits and pieces set out. I can't imagine Orcrist is that easy to do at scale.
If you really wanted to be fussy there's those 4 jewels in the pommel and like that. Which are/were white sapphires. Except I could only afford the United Cutlery version.

They're not showing a hand selection either, so assume this is just an early look.

I tend not to like swords that are "too fantasy" looking. Usually I dig the more practical looking ones (which is why I love most of the ones designed for LotR) ... but Orcrist might be my favorite design from all six movies. Wildly impractical (especially since it doesn't fit in the scabbard without leaving one edge if the scabbard open halfway down its length), but I love everything about it. The curves, the single-sided blade, the dragon-tooth hilt. Beautiful. Sleek and curvy but also absurdly beefy. Made by the Elves, but better suited to a Dwarf.

I tend not to like swords that are "too fantasy" looking. Usually I dig the more practical looking ones (which is why I love most of the ones designed for LotR) ... but Orcrist might be my favorite design from all six movies. Wildly impractical (especially since it doesn't fit in the scabbard without leaving one edge if the scabbard open halfway down its length), but I love everything about it. The curves, the single-sided blade, the dragon-tooth hilt. Beautiful. Sleek and curvy but also absurdly beefy. Made by the Elves, but better suited to a Dwarf.
Orcist may be, in my opinion, the single most stunning looking fantasy sword in film.
Its absolutely gorgeous in every detail.

For sure, for me Orcrist is my favorite of all the ME blades. It just seems to me something that might have been forged eons ago, when giants and heroes roamed the lands (lol sorry😁 I've been into folklore and mythology for a while...)
And agree it's an impractical design. :lol But gorgeous.

If nothing else tho, I finally got a look at the cloak clasps so I have to, eventually I can mock something up. Not a big garment in the films, but if you own multiples of a character I like to switch them up with accessories and poses. Although - I don't display all in one place either.

BTW - totally OT - someone on Etsy has a 1/6 medieval table for 75$ table and benches (1/6 Scale Medieval Style Table and Bench Handmade REAL WOOD - Etsy).

For me it might be useful for a Bree scene; maybe for folks who want to give their hobbits special treatment. Or Aragorn for that matter.:unsure:

Thorin's Inart prototype looks good, really good in fact.
This is a very pretty and well made figure.
Love the accessories and I LOVE the design for the base!

Thought I'd share some pics of the Asmus so us folk can compare/contrast
1696269805560.png

1696269821820.png

1696269838686.png

1696269860074.png

1696269873409.png

1696269895746.png
1696269907612.png

1696269921159.png

1696269934809.png

1696269948859.png

1696269963229.png

1696269978862.png

Attachments

• 1696269646668.png
    1696269646668.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1696269665003.png
    1696269665003.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1696269629567.png
    1696269629567.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Asmus did such a great job on him.

Indeed. Right down to the faint metallic on his boot caps, the tiny silver studs on his vambraces, and the knee patches are machine embroidery not just some patch stuck on. Outer coat wired. Great fake fur quality. Plus a *masterful* 😁 handling of all the layers and dealing with a strapped boot ankle pretty genius. TBH I think InArt needs to improve the fur quality and the color.

Having *silky* hair and the cloak will be nice. I usually don't do much with rotating eyes but it will help change him up. Diecast weapons always a plus IMO. Plus the "Erebor" base. I don't NEED another Road Thorin but I WANT him:lol if InArt delivers.

ASMUS_Thorin_opt.jpg

Asmus did such a great job on him.

Indeed. Right down to the faint metallic on his boot caps, the tiny silver studs on his vambraces, and the knee patches are machine embroidery not just some patch stuck on. Outer coat wired. Great fake fur quality. Plus a *masterful* 😁 handling of all the layers and dealing with a strapped boot ankle pretty genius. TBH I think InArt needs to improve the fur quality and the color.

Having *silky* hair and the cloak will be nice. I usually don't do much with rotating eyes but it will help change him up. Diecast weapons always a plus IMO. Plus the "Erebor" base. I don't NEED another Road Thorin but I WANT him:lol if InArt delivers.

View attachment 666713

I'd honestly say he is better than their two Crown Gandalfs
Probably the best figure Asmus has ever done

I'd honestly say he is better than their two Crown Gandalfs
Probably the best figure Asmus has ever done
LOL now I will be pondering that one :lol

If not the best a contender for the top 3, because every detail (at that price point) nailed. From body to sculpt to costume.

I guess I'd put Gimli up there. I like my Gandalfs a lot, but the new heads really made a difference. I would have said both Bilbos but young Bilbo there's the hair thing (proportions) and wish old Bilbo had a softer expression.

Finally had the funds to order GTW (and I got a "we're sorry coupon" from Sideshow) - a fig I've heard nothing but good about. And I am pretty fond of my Thranduil.

Meanwhile IMO InArt really needs to upgrade the fake fur on this proto (that looks like cheap acrylic) and pretty sure that cloak was deep blue or gray, not green. But this feels like an early look. Fans are being used as testers.:monkey3 If I wanted to be a pill about it I'd remind InArt Thorin also had 2 hair clips in back, sort of loose hair jewelry. Those vanish in AUJ at some point.

I asked Justin on his channel the following:

"can you ask Inart if you are still there or in contact with them how they ended up deciding on making Thorin instead of a more popular LOTR Fellowship character like Legolas or Gimli for example?"

His answer: "I mean it’s not binary like a yes or no. They can make everything it’ll just be a matter of what their artists feel like they want to work on first"

then asked the following for which I havent received any reply yet:

"thx for the answer. so it means they are ok even if the interest wont be that huge as it was for Gandalf and Aragorn? I mean just browsing through 1/6 forums the interest is much lower for Thorin than it would have been for a Fellowship character."

"can you ask Inart if you are still there or in contact with them how they ended up deciding on making Thorin instead of a more popular LOTR Fellowship character like Legolas or Gimli for example?"

His answer: "I mean it’s not binary like a yes or no. They can make everything it’ll just be a matter of what their artists feel like they want to work on first"

"thx for the answer. so it means they are ok even if the interest wont be that huge as it was for Gandalf and Aragorn? I mean just browsing through 1/6 forums the interest is much lower for Thorin than it would have been for a Fellowship character."
InArt aren’t going to tell Justin the inner workings of why they chose to do certain figures. They’ll just give him general answers.

InArt aren’t going to tell Justin the inner workings of why they chose to do certain figures. They’ll just give him general answers.
yeah his answer isnt really an answer and I wasnt even expecting any answer at all, but answering just for the sake of answering without actually answering has no point imo. :D

Well, being a Hobbit fan I'm more likely to buy a Hobbit character than LOTR - I think I have Gandalf (a version of) #6 on the way at this point. Unless Sideshow or someone does a "mythos" Glorfindel. I won't be buying another Gimli. Legolas - er, not sure. Maybe $$$$$ :horror

But statements like "what their artists feel like they want to work on first" make me uneasy - happy "somebody" wanted to work on Thorin, but reminds me of what WETA seems to be doing. Tho I don't know. But is SEEMS like the artists there do what they like, and after the proto is done, well, the QC may or may not be followed up on. Certainly not by the artists.

Well, being a Hobbit fan I'm more likely to buy a Hobbit character than LOTR - I think I have Gandalf (a version of) #6 on the way at this point. Unless Sideshow or someone does a "mythos" Glorfindel. I won't be buying another Gimli. Legolas - er, not sure. Maybe $$$$$ :horror

But statements like "what their artists feel like they want to work on first" make me uneasy - happy "somebody" wanted to work on Thorin, but reminds me of what WETA seems to be doing. Tho I don't know. But is SEEMS like the artists there do what they like, and after the proto is done, well, the QC may or may not be followed up on. Certainly not by the artists.
Thats all good and fine that some people love Hobbit more than LOTR, I just conveyed what I saw/read on Facebook and here and thats why I asked, I certainly didnt say I am asking because everyone thinks so but because the majority voiced their opinion this way.

If you just simply go and count here how many said/wrote they want it and how many said that they are not interested however good it looks then the ratio is about 30-40% who want it to 60-70% who doesnt.
In the case of Legolas for example I am pretty sure this ratio who would want to buy it vs who doesnt want it, would be reversed easily.
Here I am only talking about outside of China as I have not the slightest clue what the chinese market looks like.

But Thorin actually looks cool even if they have to work on it until PO.

Justin's answer isnt an answer at all in any shape or form. But I didnt even expect any answer at all.
He said at the end of his yt video to ask questions because Inart will check the comments, so I asked.

sculpt looks off to me...head too large or too square or something...

Yeah. A bit. It reminds me of some of the early artwork - off the Hobbit Visual Guide or something - although the prosthetics were more refined by the second film. At first look I thought the face looked sort of pushed in, as well. Although - it's pretty good.

And IMO there are still those costume details bothering me. Went digging and it's hard to get a handle on the actual color of the fur on the jacket. One of the WETA books talks about how the cameras would "bleed the red" out of the actors' faces so they would paint them burgundy, almost. So I wonder if the coat fur is actually a kind of brown, and some cameras and lighting shift the color to grey (in DOS) (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug movie costumes on display...). OR is there more than one version of the "hero coat"? My WETA Thorin has gray fur, which is AUJ.:banghead

But IMO hope that's a mockup, coz the fur looks like something you'd make a low end toy or pet bed with. Good thing I have more than one ASMUS Thorin I may have to borrow his coat.:monkey3

PS. For anyone interested I tripped over a link within a cosplay site to detailed designs of dwarf patterns and accessories, from a Japan exhibit . Now I finally know what the cloak clasp looked like.:winner Never thought of checking cosplayer sites (Another Thorin Oakenshield Costume - The Hobbit). There's clearly a dwarf design on the leather edging of the cloak too.
thorin_halfclasp.jpg

(And this person mentions the wonders of Shoe Goo - always looking for great adhesives😁. Can't post direct links pages are appearing and vanishing - but these are old web pages.)

So if this doesn't make production I'll bite the bullet and make my own. Shame about the axe and base tho, I'd like those. And those diecast swords.

Last edited:
Thats all good and fine that some people love Hobbit more than LOTR, I just conveyed what I saw/read on Facebook and here and thats why I asked, I certainly didnt say I am asking because everyone thinks so but because the majority voiced their opinion this way.

If you just simply go and count here how many said/wrote they want it and how many said that they are not interested however good it looks then the ratio is about 30-40% who want it to 60-70% who doesnt.
In the case of Legolas for example I am pretty sure this ratio who would want to buy it vs who doesnt want it, would be reversed easily.
Here I am only talking about outside of China as I have not the slightest clue what the chinese market looks like.

But Thorin actually looks cool even if they have to work on it until PO.

Justin's answer isnt an answer at all in any shape or form. But I didnt even expect any answer at all.
He said at the end of his yt video to ask questions because Inart will check the comments, so I asked.
I hope my comment didn't come off as being antagonistic, I don't feel that way. Funny thing is I'd actually really consider (another) Legolas because, well, Legolas.😁 He's a crossover character as well, so always useful in displays. I was *emotionally prepared* to pay that NRD for Legolas.😁

Making Thorin raised my eyebrows - at least a road version, which has been done by WETA and ASMUS. But as well as what the artists are interested in, maybe it is the licensing thing e.g. it's cheaper to do the Hobbit and I suspect, it was cheaper to do a Daenerys in that winter outfit. I've got no interest in another line but can't think that is her most popular look.

Back