Hugh Laurie as House Custom Headsculpt by Chris Howes Interest Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that because of the way chris has acted, people may be tempted to backlash against his work. But I really do think this is an amazing sculpt in hand. And it looks almost exactly like the paint proto that most of us saw and loved several weeks ago. Including the tweaks we asked for.
It's not perfect. But it certainly isn't hasbro.

I promise you my opinion isn't due to any hard feelings, merely my expectations. I was the person that requested a refund before the :censored hit the fan because I didn't like the sculpt. Seeing more pictures just cements it for me. Chris' House is low on detail in the hair- it looks like a moss roof rather than the perfect looking unkempt tousled hair on Serang's. I also think Serang's has the disgruntled, misanthropic quality that Laurie projects from the character. Howes' just looks droopy puppydog eyed pitiful to me. Again, though, just my opinion, and why I wanted a refund in the first place. I really don't care for his paints, either- they look rushed.

Hell, it looks better than half of the sideshow sculpts for the star wars line if you ask me.

that's not hard if we're talking about the production heads. It amazes me how beautiful the unpainted protos of the SS Star Wars heads are, and how shabby the final product looks due to lousy materials used, and very so-so paintjobs. if they could get the heads right in the production phase, I'd own pretty much all of those figures.

Not trying to start anything. Just saying, i think the sculpt is very good in hand. And of course, that is my own biased opinion since i have the Howes one, and not the Serang.

Oh I know, and no offense taken. :) I wasn't trying to offend either, I just really wanted to comment because I really, really don't like Chris' sculpt, and I have been disappointed that this is what we waited so long for. the cane is pretty nice, though.

If I had both, i'd love to form an opinion on them. But with just one, i'm pretty happy with it. Can't wait to see what Triad cook up though either.

I have VERY high hopes for triad, because I would love to have a set that contains House AND Cuddy, Wilson, and all the rest! (the Kutner figure should come with a gun)

Said it before, I'll say it again. There's something about howes version that reminds me of a Wrightson or Ploog version of the Frankenstein monster.

I just think he looks very bleary-eyed and sad, and that's not the character. That might be a depressed Hugh Laurie off-set or something after he hears a friend passed away, but House is a bit of a condescending ass, and Howes' sculpt doesn't project that disgusted superiority.

Serang's is an excellent quality sculpt from a technical, craft perspective.

But it couldn't look less like Laurie to me.

Serangs House was too gaunt, and a lot of people on here didn't like it as much as House.

Initially. Then Serang made some changes, and that to me made it pretty much spot on. Wait till you see what Kuato can do with that head :rock

As for Howes' House, I think it's great, but really needs a first class paint job to shine. The one glaring problem with that sculpt is the hair. Throws everything off IMO. Wish I kept my mouth shut when he finished the puffier, bed-head style he did first as he just wasn't able to do the shorter hairstyle well.

:google

Hair and eyes seem fine to me! :rock :rock :rock

THAT IS HOUSE!!

03.jpg

h1.jpg

Like this?:D

houseflip.gif

It was looking great in the spinning gif but never really hit home imo :monkey1

Eh.

To me the final sculpt looks more how House's hair has looked in the later episodes. And I'll agree that Serang's has better sculpted hair, but I'm not looking for well-sculpted hair, I'm looking for a Laurie likeness.

As for "really needs a first class paint job to shine," doesn't that kind of go without saying? If SS has taught us anything, it's that sculpting only goes so far. Without excellent paints, it doesn't matter how good or bad the sculpt underneath is.

Eh.

To me the final sculpt looks more how House's hair has looked in the later episodes. And I'll agree that Serang's has better sculpted hair, but I'm not looking for well-sculpted hair, I'm looking for a Laurie likeness.

As for "really needs a first class paint job to shine," doesn't that kind of go without saying? If SS has taught us anything, it's that sculpting only goes so far. Without excellent paints, it doesn't matter how good or bad the sculpt underneath is.

What I meant by that comment was that even a sub-par sculpt can look 4x as good when real brush skills are applied. Howes' sculpt is great, so an amazing paint job should take it to amazing.

Just like terrible paint can make a great sculpt look like crap, great paint can save a sculpt.

I've yet to see paints on the sculpt that elevate it to something more than the sum of Chris Howes' sculpting skills.

In fairness, we've only seen what, two examples of that head painted? One very good one (Howes) and one mediocre at best (no offense). For the money, I think Howes has turned out a great product.

I do spot a few things here and there that I would maybe like to tweak, but that is being nit picky and is probably within my amateur painting skills to attempt.

If mine looks anything like Husker's, I will be more than pleased.

Oh wait, this post isn't negative enough. WAAAAH Howes is a fraud rip-off artist WAAAAAAAH!!!

There, better? :monkey5:rotfl

In fairness, we've only seen what, two examples of that head painted? One very good one (Howes) and one mediocre at best (no offense). For the money, I think Howes has turned out a great product.

I do spot a few things here and there that I would maybe like to tweak, but that is being nit picky and is probably within my amateur painting skills to attempt.

If mine looks anything like Husker's, I will be more than pleased.

Oh wait, this post isn't negative enough. WAAAAH Howes is a fraud rip-off artist WAAAAAAAH!!!

There, better? :monkey5:rotfl
In fairness, he's only shipped two of them.

Doesn't mean I can't think THE guy who started it (and put a lot of time and effort maintaining the thread) shouldn't have got first dibs.

yep he did.... he's also in full support of everything chris is doing no matter what the circumstance is. this can very well be chris howes himself.

Also "reasonable" isn't the same thing as "ideal".

"Ideally" I should've been the 22nd person to receive a House head. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back