Hugh Laurie as House Custom Headsculpt by Chris Howes Interest Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can go to the Chris Howes thread to see the latest goings on. Chris has come back for one note with more excuses, and a legal threat or two. Still no apologies for selling on ebay, and for not sending heads to the people that commissioned them first. There is no good excuse for not having sent a head and cane to everyone who ponied up funds months ago before he goes to ebay with it. He's even ebaying painted heads.

I got mine a week after he posted it, and it can take him up to 20 days to post it

Ok. So here is the house pic chris went by i think.. and a pic of mine that just arrived.. THAT is exactly what i wanted. And I think it looks great.

hugh-laurie-new-movie.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg

here are some others that I snapped. My house bash is very rough, and not really futzed yet. So forgive me. Also, i suck at taking pictures. But here they are.

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4382.jpg

The ones that look pale are pale because i'm in a very bright room, with my flash on.

The ones that are darker are from my flash being off, and my shadow blocking the sunlight. I did this so you could see the detail with the brightest flash, and what it would look like most likely with the flash off, to the human eye. The flash really highlights the paint apps. For instance, you will notice the layers in the eyes, the two blues. But in person, i can't see them unless i REALLY look hard in the light. They blend well, and have a beautiful gloss to them that makes them look very realistic compared to most custom eyes i've seen. I asked for lighter stubble on mine, but i know some prefer darker. I also was worried how the grey would turn out in the hair, but mine looks great in person. The sculpt is not rough to the touch, it is smooth and so is the paint. Very soft and very clean.

The cane is simple, but very nice, imho. It has a little give to it, and i think he made it with wood for the actual stick part. Wasn't it a skewer? Works well! Fits in the hand well too i think.

For all the mishaps (having to paint it instead of kuato) chris did a good job with the paint i think. He listened to us about the eyes, and even the eyebrows and stubble on my sculpt. This thing turned out exactly as I wanted it, and exactly as I expected it to. So yeah, i'm pretty psyched, and I'm sure my brother will be too when i give it to him as a birthday/christmas gift.

This says nothing for chris's business tactics, or his refund nightmares, etc. Nor is it trying to. It is merely me saying that I have recieved my house head, painted and drilled, and cane, as i ordered it. And in a very short amount of time from when i ordered it, compared to when i expected it. I realize several of you ordered heads way before me, and thus have had a longer wait. But instead of angering you, i hope this at least gives you an idea of the head (painted) in hand, and encourages you to wait it out for yours, or do whatever else you are going to do. But yes, personally, i'm very happy about my product I purchased.
Service over e-mail was decent. He communicated with me a lot, mostly because i was positive towards him. So i think that helped me out a bit. The service as far as updates was satisfactory on the house thread until the last month or so. I enjoyed that we were able to put in our own ideas for chris to work with. But at the same time, it is overshadowed a bit by the lack of care he showed these past few weeks with updates and info.

So there you have it. Another house head received. Hopefully more of you will get yours soon too. It would be a nice change of pace.

Here's some more pics.. couldn't fit them all in the other one..

IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

Congrats Husker75! It looks like your pics got better as you shot them. The eyes look nice, very piercing and House-like.

Congrats Husker75! It looks like your pics got better as you shot them. The eyes look nice, very piercing and House-like.

Thank you! It's like a sauna in my room right now.. so i just snapped them off quickly with and without the flash. Figured they'd have to do for now. After i cut his laces/tie them, pose him up, etc, i'll post some more pics. I really can't wait for the slim shoulder true type, as this one is too beefy for house. But once i posed his left hand in his pocket, it was much more "housey" to me. lol. Seriously though, i'm just mad at myself for not getting one of those pill bottles the second everyone found out about them. I SOOO need one to finish this up.

Looks very nice.

When did you get on the list for House?

Thank you!
paid for the head back in april. I waited a bit because i wanted to see more pics of the proto. Once i was satisfied, i think beginning of april i paid him. So i'm not in the original commissioned group or whatever.. but i didn't pay for him a week ago either.

Very nice that you got one, but total BS too.

A lot of folks should have gotten one before you.

But congrats anyway. Looks very good.

Very nice that you got one, but total BS too.

A lot of folks should have gotten one before you.

But congrats anyway. Looks very good.

Absolutely B.S. that I got one before everyone else. I agree.

My only thought to how it happened was that i bugged him (but nicely) about it probably every other day for the last few weeks. He also knew it was going to be a gift for my brother, so i don't know if that influenced it at all. But seriously.. i should have been like 2/3rds down the list.

Part of me knows that he also wanted to get it to me so that I would post about it on here. But he also knows i think he's been a complete ^^^^ to most of us too.. So something tells me i just bugged the heck out of him so much he sent it off to me.

So yeah, he's not going in order.. which is odd. But hopefully more heads will keep showing up.

That looks awesome!!

No offense but that other posted was a pretty bad paint job compared to this one.

Very excited to get mine now! :joy

That looks awesome!!

No offense but that other posted was a pretty bad paint job compared to this one.

Very excited to get mine now! :joy

Yeah, i was a little nervous for the paint. I had wanted kuato to paint, but when chris offered the discount to paint it when kuato fell through, i thought i'd give it a shot, since i suck. The other one you saw painted was painted by Mollins' (i think) boyfriend i believe. Not a bad paintjob by any means i don't think.. but it wasn't what i wanted. And yeah, it made me a bit scared of how the paint would look from chris. but it doesn't look caked on at all, and it is just smooth and very realistic to me. I'm very happy looking at it. Just brought James_Ford down to see it, and she loves it too. Everyone in my house (lol) has seen it now except my little bro, who it is for. All gave it a big thumbs up. So i wish you all the best in getting yours soon, and that your paint jobs are just as good!

Its an ok sculpt with an ok paintjob. Not worth the aggravation and the wait not to mention the HYPE surrounding this "professional" sculptor. IMHO
Nice cane though. :D

Its an ok sculpt with an ok paintjob. Not worth the aggravation and the wait not to mention the HYPE surrounding this "professional" sculptor. IMHO
Nice cane though. :D

I agree. I'm definitely not seeing the "awesome" in the sculpt or the paint. Maybe it's because I got my Serang head yesterday and I know how perfect a House sculpt can be. Serang's looks like Hot Toys quality- Howes' looks like Hasbro by comparison.

I agree. I'm definitely not seeing the "awesome" in the sculpt or the paint. Maybe it's because I got my Serang head yesterday and I know how perfect a House sculpt can be. Serang's looks like Hot Toys quality- Howes' looks like Hasbro by comparison.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, i don't agree.

I'm not saying the house head is hot toys quality. But i don't think Serangs is either. I love his sculpts, but they tend to have something off about them that is offputting to me. For me, even if i had to wait another 6 months, i would have gone with Howes. Serangs House was too gaunt, and a lot of people on here didn't like it as much as House. So it really is just a matter of preference. Both are great sculpts, i think.
I understand that because of the way chris has acted, people may be tempted to backlash against his work. But I really do think this is an amazing sculpt in hand. And it looks almost exactly like the paint proto that most of us saw and loved several weeks ago. Including the tweaks we asked for.
It's not perfect. But it certainly isn't hasbro.

Hell, it looks better than half of the sideshow sculpts for the star wars line if you ask me.

And it was a little cheaper to get too.

Not trying to start anything. Just saying, i think the sculpt is very good in hand. And of course, that is my own biased opinion since i have the Howes one, and not the Serang.

If I had both, i'd love to form an opinion on them. But with just one, i'm pretty happy with it. Can't wait to see what Triad cook up though either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back