Hot Toys - MMS 87- Planet of the Apes General Ursus spec + hi res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imagine if you took this stance after Clooney's Batman! all it takes is a director with a lot of love and passion to really give us something special... don't gie up hope.

The problem with the new movie is I'm a fan of the original film series and characters, not of remakes for the sake of a few bucks.

The problem with the new movie is I'm a fan of the original film series and characters, not of remakes for the sake of a few bucks.

Unfortunately, the only reason the beloved original film series continued past the first classic film was "for the sake of a few bucks."

It is interesting to read the creative process (if you can really call it that) that surrounded the making of that first Apes sequel. They hired Rod Serling back to cook up a probable scenerio but his story required that Charlton Heston return as Taylor, but the star agreed only to do a cameo, largely as a favor to Richard Zanuck. Heck they even brought back the original author Pierre Boulle to take a stab at it... but his take was rejected. In the end, it was the producer Mort Abrahams, I believe, was the one that drafted the basic story. A producer... not a writer.

In fact, James Franciscus and his writing partner re-wrote practically every one of Brent's lines.

So, no there was no real creative force behind the wheel of this film series I'm sorry to say. No Lucas. No Roddenberry. Only studio suits who wanted to run the well dry. There was a article in the TV Guide when the TV series was about to premiere entitled "How Much Milk Can You Get From an Ape." The title said it all.

So, yeah, the original film was meant to stand alone.

Unfortunately, the only reason the beloved original film series continued past the first classic film was "for the sake of a few bucks."

It is interesting to read the creative process (if you can really call it that) that surrounded the making of that first Apes sequel. They hired Rod Serling back to cook up a probable scenerio but his story required that Charlton Heston return as Taylor, but the star agreed only to do a cameo, largely as a favor to Richard Zanuck. Heck they even brought back the original author Pierre Boulle to take a stab at it... but his take was rejected. In the end, it was the producer Mort Abrahams, I believe, was the one that drafted the basic story. A producer... not a writer.

In fact, James Franciscus and his writing partner re-wrote practically every one of Brent's lines.

So, no there was no real creative force behind the wheel of this film series I'm sorry to say. No Lucas. No Roddenberry. Only studio suits who wanted to run the well dry. There was a article in the TV Guide when the TV series was about to premiere entitled "How Much Milk Can You Get From an Ape." The title said it all.

So, yeah, the original film was meant to stand alone.

This is all true stuff and I totally agree. Hence the rapid decline in the films' budgets and quality. But what the originals have going for them is having appeared at just the right time in my pop culture appreciation formative process and with just enough magic to overcome those things... to a certain extent. The original films manage to entertain and create a level of fun most of today's joyless remakes just can't reach.

Similarly, a lot of exploitation and genre movies were made in the late 60s and 70s for the sole purpose of cashing in at drive-in and inner city theaters around the country just to turn a quick and dirty profit... and they've all become semi-classics in their own right. None of the remakes or imitations have come anywhere close to capturing- even inadvertantly and with the worst of intentions- the level of cool of the original Shaft movies, or Ron Howard's car chase flicks like Eat My Dust... or, to name a couple of cult classics that became lackluster and stoopid remakes... the original Vanishing Point and Gone in 60 Seconds.

Thus, I still prefer even Battle to the Tim Burton "re-imagining." And the gentler 1970s version of a cash cow series to today's "tent pole" and "franchise" summer event submental blockbusters. Every once in a while we get a The Dark Knight but all too often we get 150-200 million spent on foolishness.

So I'll play the percentages and avoid this new movie.

Unless they get someone really intriguing to helm it. Give the studio flacks and hacks the Heisman maneuver and do something super-smart like the first flick and surprise us all. In which case I'd eat my Sideshow Cornelius with barbecue sauce.

this looks sweet. i'll probably end up getting some loose parts from ebay, but i'm not dropping $100+ on this guy. especially not in this economy. if they did the new remake that might be more cooler given the updated armor and accessories

This is all true stuff and I totally agree. Hence the rapid decline in the films' budgets and quality. But what the originals have going for them is having appeared at just the right time in my pop culture appreciation formative process and with just enough magic to overcome those things... to a certain extent. The original films manage to entertain and create a level of fun most of today's joyless remakes just can't reach.

Similarly, a lot of exploitation and genre movies were made in the late 60s and 70s for the sole purpose of cashing in at drive-in and inner city theaters around the country just to turn a quick and dirty profit... and they've all become semi-classics in their own right. None of the remakes or imitations have come anywhere close to capturing- even inadvertantly and with the worst of intentions- the level of cool of the original Shaft movies, or Ron Howard's car chase flicks like Eat My Dust... or, to name a couple of cult classics that became lackluster and stoopid remakes... the original Vanishing Point and Gone in 60 Seconds.

Thus, I still prefer even Battle to the Tim Burton "re-imagining." And the gentler 1970s version of a cash cow series to today's "tent pole" and "franchise" summer event submental blockbusters. Every once in a while we get a The Dark Knight but all too often we get 150-200 million spent on foolishness.

So I'll play the percentages and avoid this new movie.

Unless they get someone really intriguing to helm it. Give the studio flacks and hacks the Heisman maneuver and do something super-smart like the first flick and surprise us all. In which case I'd eat my Sideshow Cornelius with barbecue sauce.

I couldn't agree with you more. And your point is very nicely stated too by the way. :D

Looks like the next Apes film that Fox is planning will use CGI/Motion Capture techniques to render the new breed of apes.

In other words, it's gonna suck. :banghead

Why use CGI, when you can get Rick Baker? :confused:

Is that true? Is this gonna be another retro-reimagining fiasco like the Singer-Superman?

Never understood the reverse-engineering of the Apes...meaning, why make them more like real apes? They already look like apes, so one would think the point would be to make them act like men. The whole point is making Apes more like Men. That's the irony, and the poignancy. We ARE Apes.

I wonder if this HT Ursus will be able to turn his head at all. The helmet looks like a solid sculpt. It looks perfect draped over his collar but it looks like a pretty snug fit and won't allow a lot of movement.

I've seen some good SS Ursus helmet customs that incorporated leather/vinyl flaps. I'd consider doing that for the HT Ursus at some point but it might be hard to match the blueish color of the HT armor with a piece of vinyl.

-Ray

I wonder if this HT Ursus will be able to turn his head at all. The helmet looks like a solid sculpt. It looks perfect draped over his collar but it looks like a pretty snug fit and won't allow a lot of movement.

I've seen some good SS Ursus helmet customs that incorporated leather/vinyl flaps. I'd consider doing that for the HT Ursus at some point but it might be hard to match the blueish color of the HT armor with a piece of vinyl.

-Ray

Angelofmusic over at the Save The Planet of the Apes thread has made an excellent custom of the SS Ursus helmet. He added to the original sculpt and added a leather flap. He also casted it to make copies of.

Angelofmusic over at the Save The Planet of the Apes thread has made an excellent custom of the SS Ursus helmet. He added to the original sculpt and added a leather flap. He also casted it to make copies of.

Yes, it is a great helmet. The only drawback is it only fits the tiny, SS halfhead Ursus.

Why hasn't SS posted him yet? So many other stores are taking pre-orders, and taking money away fromSS. Get to SS, we need a PO for Ursus now!

SSC said they aren't putting up anything for Pre-order until after the new year, since so many people are out of town over the holidays.

And since all these retailers will be getting their's from SSC (which is the exclusive distributor for HT Apes outside of Asia) it's not like they're losing customers.

SSC said they aren't putting up anything for Pre-order until after the new year, since so many people are out of town over the holidays.

And since all these retailers will be getting their's from SSC (which is the exclusive distributor for HT Apes outside of Asia) it's not like they're losing customers.

o.k. that makes sense, and relieves a lot of stress. I'm glad SS is not losing any $, and will be offering all of these works of art. I can't wait! Come on next week already!

I can't wait for these to go up for order. I know they won't be released for a few months, but I'll feel better once I have my Ursus and Gorilla Captain secured. Then, the waiting... :monkey4

Back