Hot Toys - MMS 87- Planet of the Apes General Ursus spec + hi res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Hot Toys is now producing a Planet of the Apes line, and if you haven't seen them they are mouth watering, maybe we can get them to release a set of figures based on the Apes TV series. Their email is
[email protected]

Email them and ask for the Apes TV series figures!

Perhaps I'm not seeing it, but those are the same pics and information we have here (in hi-res).

It is. I just thought it interesting that another site other than this forum is showing some interest in the Hot Toys Apes also and thought I would pass it on.:joy

It is. I just thought it interesting that another site other than this forum is showing some interest in the Hot Toys Apes also and thought I would pass it on.:joy

Not really that interesting. CTR has news from pretty much every aspect of the toy world.

I dont even like POTA, and I want one.

But you know....what I really want is a Burton Thad. Say what you will about the movie, but Tim Roth was awesome.

But you know....what I really want is a Burton Thad. Say what you will about the movie, but Tim Roth was awesome.

Tim Roth IS awesome. Good actor. He was a great Abomination, too. I'm looking forward to that new TV series he has coming soon, as well.

I wholeheartedly agree. The makeup in that film was stunning and the costume design insane.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree too. The makeup was incredibly well done and the performances were fine. I just wish they'd been in the service of something less generic. I wish someone would use today's makeup technology and apply it to some retro-apes and do either a real remake or a sequel to the originals.

The gorilla soldiers look to skinny though. The only thing i liked about the new Planet Of The Apes was that the gorilla soldiers looked like bodybuilders.

Yeah, I agree too. The makeup was incredibly well done and the performances were fine. I just wish they'd been in the service of something less generic. I wish someone would use today's makeup technology and apply it to some retro-apes and do either a real remake or a sequel to the originals.

That's a great idea.
I'd love to see the FX tech that went into making these huge, realistic looking gorillas that talked in (I think) George of the Jungle with Brendan Fraiser. Those apes wearing the classic POTA uniforms would look really cool.

Looks like the next Apes film that Fox is planning will use CGI/Motion Capture techniques to render the new breed of apes.

In other words, it's gonna suck. :banghead

Why use CGI, when you can get Rick Baker? :confused:

Looks like the next Apes film that Fox is planning will use CGI/Motion Capture techniques to render the new breed of apes.

In other words, it's gonna suck. :banghead

Why use CGI, when you can get Rick Baker? :confused:

That sucks. So many directors don't get how to use CGI in movies. A healthy balance of physical effects and computer animated make for the best experience. Example: Jurassic Park, even today has more life like and believable monsters than say, the recent AVP movies.

That's a great idea.
I'd love to see the FX tech that went into making these huge, realistic looking gorillas that talked in (I think) George of the Jungle with Brendan Fraiser. Those apes wearing the classic POTA uniforms would look really cool.

Definitely! I drew something like that a while back and included it in a portfolio I sent to a few places like Dreamworks and ILM (no response, which is disappointing but fine) because I've always wanted to see what it'd look like.

That sucks. So many directors don't get how to use CGI in movies. A healthy balance of physical effects and computer animated make for the best experience. Example: Jurassic Park, even today has more life like and believable monsters than say, the recent AVP movies.

I agree and with the "gonna suck" prediction above. CGI seems to work best to enhance model work and physical effects rather than in replacing them. I've never seen total CGI work that looked believable to me. I'm always thinking how "painterly" it looks. Even good CGI. I watched MacArthur the other day and was impressed with what they did in certain scenes with matte paintings. Much more "real" looking than anything in Pearl Harbor or even some of the scenes in Flags of Our Fathers.

And if they'd enhance it a little by being able to animate the smoke it would've been absolutely convincing.

I think part of the problem with those movies is we have real world frames of reference for how things are supposed to look. And also the shot choices, all those zooming fly by's that look too much like video game cutscenes, that could never be physically filmed by chase planes. Takes me right out of the story.

But CGI apes? No thanks, double. As fakey as the war machines have looked in the movies I've mentioned, most CGI animals look even worse. They don't move like real animals, they "morph" and flow. King Kong wasn't too bad but that's mainly because they motion-captured him and had a good actor do the actual performance.

What's wrong with just state of the art prosthetics, a la the "re-imagining?" That's about all they got right in that flick. I doubt anyone's going to go see a PotA movie thinking, "All right, CGI monkeys will make THIS one better than the others!"

I wasnt going to see it anyway. So....they can do whatever they want. Fox will never ever get any of my money.

I refuse to see the new film when it comes out. I don't want to be disappointed again, and I will never forgive Burton.

Back