Hot Toys-MMS 220-The Wolverine-Wolverine 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Modern Life Jackman sculpt, and I must say that I am really quite pleased with it. The pics don't do it justice, it looks far better in-hand. The likeness is definitely much better than the standard (Hot Toys) sculpt.

It also is a little narrower and smaller, making it look less odd when put on the wifebeater outfit :)

We disagree on the likeness. I have both also and the modern life is not close. Not only in look (which is objective I get that) but most the distances are off. If u run a facial rec program between a real pic of Hugh and the ml sculpt they won't match. Distance between the eyes, nose length and width. Even head size. You may prefer it which is fine. If u like it that's great. Really all that matters. And sculpting likenesses is the absolute hardest thing to do. So there's that.

It is indeed objective. The bloated Hot Toys sculpt looks even less like Jackman though. It looks more like George Michael.

As much as the Modern Life may still be "off", at least he reads more like Jackman on my detolf now (which is what matters to me). As someone who sculpts a lot (both digitally and in real life) it's not all about exact measurements but also about capturing the character/charicature. In my opinion the Moden Life sculpt does a much greater job at doing just that. As an added bonus, it definitely is in better proportion to the MMS220 body than the HT sculpt.

Mine arrived today along with ED-209. Used the code on him last weekend and he shipped out Monday. Glad to have this guy back especially at that price but I may have to put him under the tree!

It is indeed objective. The bloated Hot Toys sculpt looks even less like Jackman though. It looks more like George Michael.

As much as the Modern Life may still be "off", at least he reads more like Jackman on my detolf now (which is what matters to me). As someone who sculpts a lot (both digitally and in real life) it's not all about exact measurements but also about capturing the character/charicature. In my opinion the Moden Life sculpt does a much greater job at doing just that. As an added bonus, it definitely is in better proportion to the MMS220 body than the HT sculpt.

You are correct, measurements are not everything. I sculpt as well. But the only time they do really matter is when you are trying to exactly replicate something. Then they do matter. A lot. It's the only way to tell if you are getting it exact. When your trying to create a non real character, say a comic character or non specific animal or what not, then your own imagination and style are needed, but when you are trying to exactly replicate a real life item or person then things are a lot more mathematical and numerical.

You may not like the width or size does not mean it's not accurate. Lol you may like it more. But it's not more authentic.

You are correct, measurements are not everything. I sculpt as well. But the only time they do really matter is when you are trying to exactly replicate something. Then they do matter. A lot. It's the only way to tell if you are getting it exact. When your trying to create a non real character, say a comic character or non specific animal or what not, then your own imagination and style are needed, but when you are trying to exactly replicate a real life item or person then things are a lot more mathematical and numerical.

You may not like the width or size does not mean it's not accurate. Lol you may like it more. But it's not more authentic.

The measurements on the HT sculpt are even worse than the ML one. Especially in sideview. It quite possibly is one of Hot Toys' worst sculpts (in terms of actor likeness), it really is only slightly better than their Indy DX05 abomination.

I can definitely tell you that the majority of HT's proportions and measurements are far less than authentic. That and it seems to have warped even more during the casting and molding process. Though ML's product is not perfect (at all), it seems to get a lot more features correctly than HT's counterpart. The nose and upper lip are spot on, the wrinkles on the brow are far more pronounced than on the soft(er) HT sculpt. The overall cheekbones are not as puffy as HT's...etc. Anatomically, the skull and musculature is much closer to Hugh than what HT produced.

It is more authentic. I am willing to bet that if you took both headsculpts and showed them to strangers, that more people would see the Hugh in the Modern Life sculpt than the Hot Toys sculpt.

The measurements on the HT sculpt are even worse than the ML one. Especially in sideview. It quite possibly is one of Hot Toys' worst sculpts (in terms of actor likeness), it really is only slightly better than their Indy DX05 abomination.

I can definitely tell you that the majority of HT's proportions and measurements are far less than authentic. That and it seems to have warped even more during the casting and molding process. Though ML's product is not perfect (at all), it seems to get a lot more features correctly than HT's counterpart. The nose and upper lip are spot on, the wrinkles on the brow are far more pronounced than on the soft(er) HT sculpt. The overall cheekbones are not as puffy as HT's...etc. Anatomically, the skull and musculature is much closer to Hugh than what HT produced.

It is more authentic. I am willing to bet that if you took both headsculpts and showed them to strangers, that more people would see the Hugh in the Modern Life sculpt than the Hot Toys sculpt.

I'd take that bet. In fact I just tried it. Of the seven people I showed it to all thought the HT sculpt was correct. Including my both my facial detection program i have and my apple photo organization program(can't recall the name of it right now for the life of me). So that's 8 real people including me, and two computer programs.

What exactly are you using to judge these figures (proportions) being off? I have compared them to a life cast of Hugh taken just before filming for The Wolverine started. They where given out to a few companies/people to work up some costume ideas for upcoming projects. The hot toys one is not perfect. Though is is A LOT closer to the real guy. In every angle. I used a proportional caliper that has a 1/6 conversion (and 1/2 and 1/1 and 1/3 and 1/8 and 1/12 and 1/4) to check the eye offset, the bridge of the nose, the distance between tip of the nose and bottom of nose, nostril width, forehead size, chin, eyebrow ridge, and twenty other areas. On two the ML sculpt was closer then the HT. 2 out of 27(well thirty actually). That includes head width total and I also checked nose slope which didn't use my caliper).

Unless you have a life cast or full size 3d scan there's no way you could check the numbers. A photo wouldn't do it. Unless you knew a bunch of stuff (lens used, camera used and a dozen other things) a photo wouldn't be accurate. Even if you blew it up to actual size.

Look, if you like the ml head better that's great. But in almost every muesurment (actual muesurment not opinion) the HT version is more accurate.

My biggest issue with it is the nose.

I'd take that bet. In fact I just tried it. Of the seven people I showed it to all thought the HT sculpt was correct. Including my both my facial detection program i have and my apple photo organization program(can't recall the name of it right now for the life of me). So that's 8 real people including me, and two computer programs.

What exactly are you using to judge these figures (proportions) being off? I have compared them to a life cast of Hugh taken just before filming for The Wolverine started. They where given out to a few companies/people to work up some costume ideas for upcoming projects. The hot toys one is not perfect. Though is is A LOT closer to the real guy. In every angle. I used a proportional caliper that has a 1/6 conversion (and 1/2 and 1/1 and 1/3 and 1/8 and 1/12 and 1/4) to check the eye offset, the bridge of the nose, the distance between tip of the nose and bottom of nose, nostril width, forehead size, chin, eyebrow ridge, and twenty other areas. On two the ML sculpt was closer then the HT. 2 out of 27(well thirty actually). That includes head width total and I also checked nose slope which didn't use my caliper).

Unless you have a life cast or full size 3d scan there's no way you could check the numbers. A photo wouldn't do it. Unless you knew a bunch of stuff (lens used, camera used and a dozen other things) a photo wouldn't be accurate. Even if you blew it up to actual size.

Look, if you like the ml head better that's great. But in almost every muesurment (actual muesurment not opinion) the HT version is more accurate.

My biggest issue with it is the nose.
You don't need any precise tools to see how off the HT sculpt is. Look man, if the HT sculpt would really top the ML sculpt, then why do so many others have issues with it?

Also, it's "measurements" not muesurment". Btw do you have pics of that lifecast? The fact that you used calipers is pointless, like you said, you don't know the lense type/mm they used in the shot. So not sure why you decide to put so much merit behind it.

Also, I am sure you are completely right and that I am wrong. Even though I have spent years sculpting from multiple reference photos, have worked on VFX for films and games, and sculpt in both 3D and with real clay, none of that matters...thanks for the eye opener. This HT piece is, in fact, an optical illusion. It's so good that it looks bad...like a really extreme version of the uncanny valley.

I am glad you love it :) It's authentic ;)

Last edited:
You don't need any precise tools to see how off the HT sculpt is. Look man, if the HT sculpt would really top the ML sculpt, then why do so many others have issues with it?

Also, it's "measurements" not muesurment". Btw do you have pics of that lifecast? The fact that you used calipers is pointless, like you said, you don't know the lense type/mm they used in the shot. So not sure why you decide to put so much merit behind it.

Also, I am sure you are completely right and that I am wrong. Even though I have spent years sculpting from multiple reference photos, have worked on VFX for films and games, and sculpt in both 3D and with real clay, none of that matters...thanks for the eye opener. This HT piece is, in fact, an optical illusion. It's so good that it looks bad...like a really extreme version of the uncanny valley.

I am glad you love it :) It's authentic ;)

I'm not sure what you think a life cast is or how it works..or if u just don't know. But it's not a photo. So your comment about a lens is silly. It is an actual 3d cast from an actual mold used on Hugh's actual face. There's no guess work. It's obvious you where using the "eye" test based on a photo, and not actually using any measurements. And thanks for spellchecking for me, btw. That really makes a huge..wait no it real makes zero impact. I'm sure you use perfect grammar and spelling and no short hand or mistakes when you are typing on a forum(and texting and any other time). Petty. Anyway...

You say you sculpt, but I'm not sure. If you do it's obviously not reproductive sculpting. The only way to accurately reproduce anything, a face included, is by checking that the dimensions exactly match the original. Be it a straight line, a car, a house, or a person. Think about it. If I wanted to sculpt a 1:6 scale Ford Mustang how would u do it? Eye ball it, or go get exact figures from an exact car? Then if I wanted to compare two sculpts of that same car how would you do it, objectively? By checking the numbers. Like wheelbase and bumper length, and height, and camber and two hundred other things. Now if one of those got 6 percent match and one got a 90 percent match which one is more accurate? Even if you happen to like the 6% match better because you just like it better, does not mean it's a more accurate reproduction of the original.

Well when compared to a lifecast...a cast taken out of a mold that was made of Hugh Jackmans actual real life face...the modern life sculpt is closer on a total of 2 out of 30 data points. And even those 2 where not spot on. It has an exact 1:6 match of Hugh Jackmans real life face on 0 out of 30 data points. The hot toys is closer on 28/30 data points and dead on on 21/30 data points. So no, neither one is a perfect match. But the Hot toys sculpt is massively more accurate. Sculpting something from imagination or using your "style" is something I am not good at. But replicate a subject, be that a person or object, that's the kind of sculpting I do.

Again, I'm not saying anything about which version you like better. That's opinion and taste based. But accuracy, that's what I'm addressing. And that's where the ML sculpt fails. It still is a great sculpt.

As for your sculpting...I've been at it as long. And worked on some of the xmen films. With Hugh.

I've been around sculpting my whole life. My father is a sculpter. Been in the industry for 38 years. My first memory involves sculpting. I've also worked on visual effects, and computer sculpting. Everything from zbrush to Cad. I've sculpted in the real world with clay, wax, foam, rock, wood and metal.

Last edited:
With all this talk about how much experience you both have with sculpting....you should each sculpt a Hugh jackman and let us decide!

The ML one looks too pointy to me. It seems like all his features are in the center of the face, in my opinion. I prefer the HT one.
But as Jake said, a sculpt-off is in order. Whoever wins gets to supply us with 100% accurate casts. :wink1:

The ML one looks too pointy to me. It seems like all his features are in the center of the face, in my opinion. I prefer the HT one.
But as Jake said, a sculpt-off is in order. Whoever wins gets to supply us with 100% accurate casts. :wink1:
Sculpt off! Sculpt off!

Calling SSC on Friday only resulted in my being told that my order was simply waiting on the shipping department to process it. Which is the same as the website already told me, no news there.

After posting about the delay on their Facebook page, I received a phone call today explaining the high demand resulted in them needing to order more. Since I bought him for myself I don't mind waiting until January now that I know what's up.

The CSM I spoke to was very apologetic about the whole thing and more than made up for my slight frustration. I cannot speak highly enough about how fantastic this entire company is.

I got the ML head sculpt in the mail today! My initial impressions... Jackman's likeness is there, more so then the Hot Toy sculpt but still not quite. To test this, I opened the box and asked the wife who it was and she immediately said Hugh Jackman. Sadly, she didn't say that when she saw the hot toys version when I first got it. The paint app is very good and it fits the HT perfectly. Some cons.... The sculpt is a little on the skinny side which as Mudblood mentioned earlier gives it that "pointy" look. It's not too obvious but noticeable when you scrutinize. I'm not a fan of the glossy paint they used for the hair which causes a loss in realism of the sculpt. I also would've preferred a more neutral look instead of the raised eye brow/scowl combo. Anyway, I took some quick photos for you guys below.

Last edited:
Back