Hot Toys - MMS 189 - SSC Ex The Avengers: Agent Phil Coulson (Specs and Pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the current season so far can be purchased digitally on iTunes, and it's currently on sale and comes with some extras. Unless you'd prefer to have it on DVD.

I know the current season so far can be purchased digitally on iTunes, and it's currently on sale and comes with some extras. Unless you'd prefer to have it on DVD.

I'll take the Bluray option personally. I am a completist when it comes to these sorts of things so it is a 'must buy' for me. And I do like the way Mr Gregg plays his part. I cannot stand Hermione though. If she fell out of the back of the plane I would not complain one iota, unless in the second half of the first season (as if that's not confusing!) they decide to put her in a skin tight SHIELD outfit like May and Hill....:pray:

Doesnt surprise me, that show did nothing to grab my attention and from what I hear its still not very liked by most fans...

I don't know about "most fans" - I can only answer for myself and those I know, and we love it. It may not be quite what we imagined it was going to be over the long months between announcement and premiere, but it's fun to watch and has really started rolling along since episode 4. (Barry doesn't point out that it very much looks like we'll find out a lot of what happened to Coulson when the show returns the week after the New Year, so there's that, too.)

The only reason it appears that "most fans" don't like it is that there is a very vocal cadre of people who as far as I can tell were determined to hate it from the get-go (honestly, some of them were whinging about how the show was going to suck before the pilot was even aired at SDCC!) Granted, even leaving the reflexive haters out of it, the show is not for everybody, but there are a lot of long-time comics fans who enjoy it immensely.

I don't know about "most fans" - I can only answer for myself and those I know, and we love it. It may not be quite what we imagined it was going to be over the long months between announcement and premiere, but it's fun to watch and has really started rolling along since episode 4. (Barry doesn't point out that it very much looks like we'll find out a lot of what happened to Coulson when the show returns the week after the New Year, so there's that, too.)

The only reason it appears that "most fans" don't like it is that there is a very vocal cadre of people who as far as I can tell were determined to hate it from the get-go (honestly, some of them were whinging about how the show was going to suck before the pilot was even aired at SDCC!) Granted, even leaving the reflexive haters out of it, the show is not for everybody, but there are a lot of long-time comics fans who enjoy it immensely.

just google agents of shield ratings... its dropped off massively, and fans are all over boards on both sides of love/hate but a huge majority hate... its bordering on a kids show, and is a tween show. they throw in the odd nod to bigger characters and call themselves shield, thats about all they have to do with marvel

Username said:
I suppose my comment was broad enough that it would work for everything.
In an ideal world, we would all be enjoying Agents of Shield along with watching season 12 of Firefly... ?

:exactly: *misses Firefly* Also in an ideal world, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. wouldn't have the constraints it has regarding its place in the MCU... It has got to be a major PIA to tie the show to the films even tangentially!

Username said:
I often wonder what Joss Whedon did in TV land to get all his shows cancelled. It seems like he just messed with the wrong person and they have pulled the strings over the years and gotten all his stuff canned.

I expect it's just some clueless execs at Fox who don't understand the genre... since ultimately both Buffy and Angel had some pretty good runs on a network that *wasn't* Fox. Although by this point, it's also possible that Fox has it in for Joss. I have my suspicions that Fox stomped all over any suggestions of letting another network pick up Firefly because they didn't want to see another Whedon title succeed once it was off their roster.

Username said:
Luckily, this show is backed by Marvel so it *will* finally get a chance. I am cautiously optimistic that, as good as it is, it will get even better. Here's hoping.
I am enjoying it so far, and if it gets even better, that will be great.

There are definite indications that the show (and its writers) have really found their footing, and the pace of the overall arc has picked up. The second half of the season is looking to be fantastic! Fingers crossed for a second season pickup!

just google agents of shield ratings... its dropped off massively, and fans are all over boards on both sides of love/hate but a huge majority hate... its bordering on a kids show, and is a tween show. they throw in the odd nod to bigger characters and call themselves shield, thats about all they have to do with marvel

Trust me, I've been on the IMDb (and other) boards, so I've seen all the arguments. On IMDb, a majority of postings on *every* show or film seem to be complaints and hating - the same is true of CBM and other sites. For some reason, it's considered "cool" to hate on stuff. I guess it's easier, or makes the posters feel superior of something.

AoS is really no more a "kid's" show than Arrow or Sleepy Hollow or Vampire Diaries - they're all targeted at the 18 - 49 male segment of the market (which AoS has been doing exceptionally well in for its time slot).

Since the show's entire premise is "not all heroes are super" I didn't expect to see a lot of big name heroes (or villains) - that's what the films are for. The series has to tread a fine line between a menace large enough or complex enough to be interesting, and one so large that they'd be justified in calling in the Avengers, which, face it, ain't gonna happen. I have felt since episode 4 that AoS has been moving toward revealing their antagonists - they keep referring to the people they're fighting as "Centipede", but I expect it will turn out that they're AIM, or a revived Hydra. Some fans are going to complain that the show should have used "B-list" villains, but quite frankly, I'd rather they used new characters - that way they're not going to be stepping on anyone's toes, and they can do pretty much what they like with the characters. That's not saying that I wouldn't enjoy seeing some pre-powered heroes from the comics down the line, but I'm happy to let the show get established the way the writers want it to before they drag more Marvel comics characters into it.

I dont care about the character selection or plot (I get that they have to lead us on)... its the acting and age of characters and the way the lines are delivered that makes it a "kids" show... Coulson is the only good all around character (acting, lines etc..) the rest are basically disney channel caliber.

people hate it, not just me. and I dont do it cause its "cool" I simply dont like it ... :dunno

:exactly: *misses Firefly*

It's amazing that a show could be so great and still get canned. Family Guy came back. It's amazing that the fan following wasn't good enough that they could have come back after the movie.

I expect it's just some clueless execs at Fox who don't understand the genre... since ultimately both Buffy and Angel had some pretty good runs on a network that *wasn't* Fox. Although by this point, it's also possible that Fox has it in for Joss. I have my suspicions that Fox stomped all over any suggestions of letting another network pick up Firefly because they didn't want to see another Whedon title succeed once it was off their roster.

It's like the Ross Webster quote:

"It is not enough that i succeed. Everyone else must fail"

There are definite indications that the show (and its writers) have really found their footing, and the pace of the overall arc has picked up. The second half of the season is looking to be fantastic! Fingers crossed for a second season pickup!

I was sure i had heard they had already been guaranteed a second season.

People hate it, not just me. and I don't do it cause its "cool" I simply don't like it ... :dunno

I don't object to your hating the show - there isn't a single movie, series, book, whatever that everyone is going to like - but I do object to the characterisation that a majority of Marvel fans, or comics fans, or science fiction fans in general, hate the show when it's simply not a demonstrable fact. All you have (and really, all I have on my side) is anecdotal evidence, which doesn't prove a thing about what percentage of which population likes or doesn't like the show.

It's like the Ross Webster quote:

"It is not enough that i succeed. Everyone else must fail"

Great quote - not a sentiment that I understand, but it does seem to be the way a lot of people see the world.

I was sure i had heard they had already been guaranteed a second season.

I think it's generally expected (even by its detractors) that AoS will be picked up for a second season, but there's been no official word as yet. Hopefully we'll hear something definite in April or May.

I don't object to your hating the show - there isn't a single movie, series, book, whatever that everyone is going to like - but I do object to the characterisation that a majority of Marvel fans, or comics fans, or science fiction fans in general, hate the show when it's simply not a demonstrable fact. All you have (and really, all I have on my side) is anecdotal evidence, which doesn't prove a thing about what percentage of which population likes or doesn't like the show.

So with that youd also say episode 1 was liked or a success... not that id go so low as to say AoS is comparable in turdism... but youre basically saying the same amount of evidence exists for each

So with that you'd also say episode 1 was liked or a success... not that id go so low as to say AoS is comparable in turdism... but you're basically saying the same amount of evidence exists for each.

Not at all. It is easier to judge success or failure of movies than of current TV shows, although popularity is still a hard thing to evaluate objectively.

I'd never claim Phantom Menace (I assume that's what you're talking about) was a good film (or competently written, directed or edited), but I'd be willing to bet there are people out there in the world with fond memories of it. You and I might hate it, but we are not the entire world, and not everyone judges media by the same criteria. As far as it being a success or not, The Phantom Menace made back ~$1,027,044,677 gross in worldwide release, over a budget of approximately $115,000,000. That's about a nine-fold return - so it wasn't exactly a flop. (Compare that to the $1,518,594,910 that The Avengers made over their $220,000,000 budget, or a not-quite-seven-fold return.)

But with television, we don't have many accurate and objective criteria to judge by. The Neilson ratings are probably fairly objective, but they are only from a small sampling of households, don't IMO fairly represent geek households, and don't capture the ways people consume media other than live viewing. Monitoring the various discussion boards isn't an objective measure of how many people like or dislike a film or show, since the vast majority of viewers never make online comments, whether they like a show or not, but the ones who do tend to have strong opinions, especially negative ones. Fans of a show tend to go to fanboards, leaving sites like IMDb and CBM to fill up with negative fanwank. Success of a series is sometimes equated with quality, and is judged solely on ratings numbers and length of run, but with genre TV I'd argue that having a rabid fanbase is also a marker of success (albeit not necessarily *commercial* success :). There's just not a good way to measure that marker.

Anyway, rambled enough, must finish up and head for home...

I'm watching it.

Also, i liked Episode I...

See, I knew there were people who liked The Phantom Menace!

I loved Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, but I didn't like the characters in the Phantom Menace et al enough to overlook what I saw as faults. But that's me... and I'm perfectly happy to let other people like what they like, without comment (most of the time - sorry, got baited into admitting that I didn't care for TPM).

Oh, and I owe you pics of Coulson with the custom guns! I've got some time off coming up for the holidays, I'll try to get them done then! :panic:

See, I knew there were people who liked The Phantom Menace!

I loved Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, but I didn't like the characters in the Phantom Menace et al enough to overlook what I saw as faults. But that's me... and I'm perfectly happy to let other people like what they like, without comment (most of the time - sorry, got baited into admitting that I didn't care for TPM).

Oh, and I owe you pics of Coulson with the custom guns! I've got some time off coming up for the holidays, I'll try to get them done then! :panic:

Phantom Menace was okay, just Anakin was boring and the kid was a lousy actor. Jar Jar needed to be shot:lecture

Back