Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard there was a company doing replacements parts / pants for most of the HT iron man marks.

Does anyone have the link?

Is this fading still an issue with more recent figures? I'm considering preordering the Mark 46 and I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Is this fading still an issue with more recent figures? I'm considering preordering the Mark 46 and I'd like to know what I'm in for.

46 is diecast, so I don't think so. This was a material issue - the painted rubber parts would fade.

i havent had any fade on my MKVI. I wonder what the variables are.

yeah, i was just looking at my mark 7.. no problems with it either though the elbow rubber is a little dull.

i keep mine in my display case, i change the pose fairly often, so, it's handled pretty regularly (they all are)..

my house is generally really dry.. i always have the AC or the heat on and never open up the windows or anything. i don't know why but i hate the smell of outside (fresh air) inside lol. it's weird. my case is next to a window, but the blinds are always down and the curtain is always closed.

it's a shame we can't do some kind of survey to see what factors contribute to this problem. or maybe it has nothing to do with display conditions, maybe it's just a bad mix from the factory.

There are three things, and it's usually a combination of one or two, that cuase the issue. Heat, (or extreme temp change) humidity and uv light. Heat can be climate, but it can come from direct light heating it up, or even your own body heat holding one section for awhile and it warms up, and if it's body contact that also tends to introduce the humidity issue. Though that part is rare. Shipping can cause it due to the extreme handling and temp changes. However it's a small percentage of the total produced that have this issue. It's just people don't go around talking about things that are not a problem. Lol you only hear about the bad ones.

It's a problem hot toys was/is aware of and they have taken steps to make sure that even if they use a rubber material it won't fade in this way...going forward.

I'm not going to lie, the whole "I'm a Hot Toys rep attitude is F'ing annoying." Nobody cares. :dunno :lol

There are three things, and it's usually a combination of one or two, that cuase the issue. Heat, (or extreme temp change) humidity and uv light. Heat can be climate, but it can come from direct light heating it up, or even your own body heat holding one section for awhile and it warms up, and if it's body contact that also tends to introduce the humidity issue. Though that part is rare. Shipping can cause it due to the extreme handling and temp changes. However it's a small percentage of the total produced that have this issue. It's just people don't go around talking about things that are not a problem. Lol you only hear about the bad ones.

It's a problem hot toys was/is aware of and they have taken steps to make sure that even if they use a rubber material it won't fade in this way...going forward.

i agree. more often than not it seems that those with problems are more vocal than those without.

i despise humidity. so, my house is generally on the dry side. i like to keep the temperature between 68 and 70 degrees.

it's just interesting to see how different factors affect different things.

Im in Southern California, it doesnt get too humid here and I keep my figs out of sunlight maybe thats what saved my mkvi

What makes you think it's a 'small percentage'?

Mine were fine up 'til recently, at least the front. Looked at the back for the first time in a long while and it's faded as ****. The front will slowly do the same, I don't see why it wouldn't.

It has nothing to do with light. More than a few people have mentioned how they had theirs boxed, opened them up and the fade was there. The fade on mine was the side that was most shielded from light of any kind.

The material and paint are the same on every figure. The only variable is environment. Every last one of these will fade at some point if not already, it's inevitable.

yes they are, my mark 43 was hit. Not the body but his hands specifically the fisted hands. Also my Iron Patriot and Mark 3. So yes it is still going on.

yes they are, my mark 43 was hit. Not the body but his hands specifically the fisted hands. Also my Iron Patriot and Mark 3. So yes it is still going on.

Do you have pictures?

Not doubting you or anything, I'm just curious to see how bad it is.

My Iron Patriot hands were faded also before I sold it. i havent checked my 43 hands but I wouldn't be surprised. It's the rubber hands that are fading not the plastic articulated ones. Surprisingly none of the parts on my IM2 MK 6 have faded, not the hands, panties or neck. I must have got a super MK VI.

What makes you think it's a 'small percentage'?

Mine were fine up 'til recently, at least the front. Looked at the back for the first time in a long while and it's faded as ****. The front will slowly do the same, I don't see why it wouldn't.

It has nothing to do with light. More than a few people have mentioned how they had theirs boxed, opened them up and the fade was there. The fade on mine was the side that was most shielded from light of any kind.

The material and paint are the same on every figure. The only variable is environment. Every last one of these will fade at some point if not already, it's inevitable.

What makes u think it's not a small percentage? Take a little time and look around. Count all the pictures posted and figures for sale you can find over any given period of time. And then compare how many are actually suffering from the issue and how many are not. I've done it over a dozen times in the last year and a half.,every time this "widespread" issue crops up. And not once has the percentage gone over 20. And most of the time it's under 10%. One in about 45 figures. And probably much less. I just stopped counting after a short look.

As for it having nothing to do with light...your wrong. It can happen from light. But if you read what I said, it's main cause is heat. Which can happen even in a box. As I said.

As for your assertion that nothing has changed..that's not true. The plastic has changed, they have added diecast, and it's not the same paint. The soft material has also changed. The thing commonly called rubber.

And non of the newer figures have that rubber material on the body. So the odds of getting a figure after mk6 with a faded part on the body(or anything other then a pair of hands) is pretty much zero.

And just to double check...to be sure to back up what I'm saying and that there wasn't a sudden rash of faded figure...I checked the first two pages hon this section for iron man and searched for fade issues. The marketplace. Then eBay. I found 8 mentions of figures with fade issues. And I stopped at 1300 for sale on eBay without it and another 200 on this site without it. Clearly, not every figure suffers from this issue. And as I said, it's not a widespread issue.

Last edited:
i'm just glad it seems they've moved away from using the rubbery plastic for the crotch and elbows. it's definitely a major improvement and looks a ton better.

i personally haven't had any issues, the oldest figure i have is the mark VII. the elbow rubber is a bit light, but i'm pretty sure it's always been that way and there's no problems with his crotch.

my figures are displayed in my den.. i always have the curtains closed, and my house generally stays between 67 and 70 degrees. and the lights are on in my den for roughly 8 hours a day, but not directly on my figures.

Yeah most of the new figures don't use any soft material and have opted instead for segmented design. A part of that is the change in the source suit design, or an instigating factor anyway. And the rest is just perfecting a process and getting better as a company. Hot toys is a pretty innovative company, especially engineering wise.

But the factor is that the issue was never as widespread as most people think it is. I set my eBay page up to show 200 listings at a time and in the first two pages of hot toys iron man is full of mk3 (originals), mk4 and mk6 figures that have no fade issues. Probably over 50 of them. And I found 1 listed that did have it. It's just you don't hear about the thousands of ones that don't have issues. People are not making a huge fuzz when there's nothing wrong.

I was so glad to hear 'the chances of getting this problem after mk.VI are pretty much zero', since I just bought a Mk.VII. XD

What makes u think it's not a small percentage? Take a little time and look around. Count all the pictures posted and figures for sale you can find over any given period of time. And then compare how many are actually suffering from the issue and how many are not. I've done it over a dozen times in the last year and a half.,every time this "widespread" issue crops up. And not once has the percentage gone over 20. And most of the time it's under 10%. One in about 45 figures. And probably much less. I just stopped counting after a short look.

As for it having nothing to do with light...your wrong. It can happen from light. But if you read what I said, it's main cause is heat. Which can happen even in a box. As I said.

As for your assertion that nothing has changed..that's not true. The plastic has changed, they have added diecast, and it's not the same paint. The soft material has also changed. The thing commonly called rubber.

And non of the newer figures have that rubber material on the body. So the odds of getting a figure after mk6 with a faded part on the body(or anything other then a pair of hands) is pretty much zero.

And just to double check...to be sure to back up what I'm saying and that there wasn't a sudden rash of faded figure...I checked the first two pages hon this section for iron man and searched for fade issues. The marketplace. Then eBay. I found 8 mentions of figures with fade issues. And I stopped at 1300 for sale on eBay without it and another 200 on this site without it. Clearly, not every figure suffers from this issue. And as I said, it's not a widespread issue.

What a little shill. Did the same thing with those awful Toy Fair Begins Batman figures that all cracked and disintegrated at the ankle socket. I bet you still claim that it's fine and your boots aren't loose.

How much does Hot Toys pay you for all these posts you make Motux? Or do you do it for free? Can I get in on this? I'm very good at manipulating and convincing people with my sharp tongue. I can also steal pics and watermark them as my own with the best of them. C'mon Hot Toys, put me on the payroll! 0.50 a post, I'll do it!

Back