Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup.. I think you are right, the rubber material probably doesn't help, although red paint seems to have a tendency for fading generally.. for example most cars and motorcycles with red paint tend to fade over time, unless garaged and carefully maintained.

.. or just avoid the IM figures with red pants.. I heard about this issue just after starting to collect Hot Toys figures, since I have zero air-brush skills, I made a decision to only collect the figures which did not have red pants.. the Mark 42 Diecast kinda bends that rule, but the pants are mostly gold at the front.. I'm fairly sure the diecast figures still have plastic pants, to avoid paint scuffing, no?

Its not plastic so much as on the full plastic figures, just the lower torso is a different and more flexible type of plastic than the rest of the figure, and that has the fade issue (I doubt the red paint in particular more than any other color, its the material below it). The diecast, at least the IP/WM2 armor that is out, has hip flaps instead of pliable plastic to give the articulation more range on the legs. What plastic there is in those diecast armors are all the stiffer kind, so I wouldn't imagine any fade issues on any certain parts compared to others.

Its just a "pick your poison" scenario, there has to be some give in the hip area for the articulation of the figure, so either they use the flexible plastic which has a higher tendency to fade more quickly (all this plastic will change eventually though, you gotta know that), or use harder plastic and flaps instead, and there are scores of people who hate that look too. These aren't statues, they have to use a lot of different tricks and materials to make these figures not only look good but move and light up, so this isn't an easy thing to eliminate.

I'd say either practice a bit with spray paint and learn do some basic maintenance and touch ups on this stuff, or sell figures a few years after buying them because you probably wont like what will happen to them 10+ years down the road if this kind of thing really bothers you.

I've got somewhat of a different problem but also on the panties area, which is some paint chipping.

image.jpeg

Just ordered a bottle of Gaia 041, going to dab on it with a small brush to try to cover the chip. Anything I should look out for?

I've got somewhat of a different problem but also on the panties area, which is some paint chipping.

View attachment 134655

Just ordered a bottle of Gaia 041, going to dab on it with a small brush to try to cover the chip. Anything I should look out for?

Yeah. Don't dab on the paint. It will look like paint dabbed on top of a chip. Strip the entire thing and repaint it.

Yeah. Don't dab on the paint. It will look like paint dabbed on top of a chip. Strip the entire thing and repaint it.

Thanks, I guess I'll just leave it then. Thought it would be an easy quick fix, maybe I'll do it when the whole thing fades. It's actually quite small, that picture is zoomed in a lot.

Of course you'll know it's there... but that's not a part of the body that gets too much attention on display.

Thanks, I guess I'll just leave it then. Thought it would be an easy quick fix, maybe I'll do it when the whole thing fades. It's actually quite small, that picture is zoomed in a lot.

What you *could* do is paint a black soot mark around the damage(And i notice there's another piece of lacquer damage behind that one you took the pic of), then a fine silver streak, like it's intentional battle damage.
If the day comes where you ever decide to respray it all, you will strip it back to the pvc underwear anyway.

I had to check too. Lol. Mines been sitting in the box for a few months and been constantly moving boxes around.

Anyone notice that there doesn't appear to be a silver layer between the gloss red and the base rubber? Wasn't this thought to be a major cause of the fading?

For which armor? Some of mine had the silver layer while others didn't. I don't think it makes a difference tbh.

Hey guys, is this considered as faded or it's just because of the lighting? Thanks

photo10_zps0100449f.jpg

photo11_zps94fa2af4.jpg

Back