Hot Toys Iron Man MK85 LED System Modification by Morgan's Workshop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roninjai

Super Freak
Reaction score

I feel like this deserves it's own thread for discussion. If I could figure out how this is done I'd do it to all of my light up figures in a heartbeat.

It’s cool, and I eventually got mine from Morgan’s workshop….BUT

A couple things to take note of:

if you’re in the US, you don’t get the touch function, at least that’s what I was told AFTER I paid and received mine. When I got my figure, I questioned him on why there was no touch function, but instead have to use a remote. He gave me this spiel about how it’s supposedly better/more durable than the touch function especially for US customers and that it cost him more to do, so I should be grateful that it was the same price as the touch. I don’t believe that one bit. I believe it was easier for him to just do the remote system than go through the trouble of making the touch system since he's doing these in mass now thanks to the partnership with Toys Wonderland. And since it's a remote vs touch function, the refocuser and the body turn on/off at the same time. You can't just turn on one or the other independently or together when they're attached to each other like it shows in the Justin's video.

In addition to that, he didn’t add all the lights to the refocusor, so I called him on that. He said he’d redo it for it me, since it was his error. But when it was finally ready to be shipped, he wouldn’t send it unless I paid him for the nearly $70 shipping charges which was never agreed upon. And some of the plastic was cracked around one of the screws (probably from him trying to get it done fast), so I had to permanently glue one of the flanges and screws together so that it would stay together.

Next, he used a microUSB attachment for the charging of the body and refocursor ports, not the small plugs that Justin shows in the video. The glue he uses to hold the ports in place don’t stand up to natural plugging and unplugging due to how tight the connection is, so mine ripped out of the body and refocuser after unplugging from my first charge. And trust me, I didn’t just yank the cord out either. Unfortunately, for the body port, it pulled the wiring right off with it. Thankfully, I have some soldering skill, so I was able to put it back together; but, man did it suck with the limited amount of space and wiring I had to work with. I’ve got a more solid connection now, but still hold the port with my fingers when unplugging the cord now.

Lastly, unless you’re having it plugged in permanently, you will need to “jump start” the internal battery every time you want to turn the lights on, no matter if you’ve already fully charged it. No luxury if just walking by and touching it to power or or taking your remote to momentarily turn the lights on. If it’s been about a day since you’ve had the lights on last, you’ve got to take it out of your display, and plug it back in the charger for about a minute, then you’ll be able to operate the lights again freely.

So, yea, it’s cool in theory and if it worked as effortlessly as Justin shows, especially to not have to mess with all those batteries and compartments along with no visible wires hanging out the back. But, there’s a lot they don’t tell you about or even show you in the video, on their product listing page or in the site pics.

Just my 2 cents from my own experience. Maybe I just got the short end of the stick and got a bad one.

Last edited:
It’s cool, and I eventually got mine from Morgan’s workshop….BUT

A couple things to take note of:

if you’re in the US, you don’t get the touch function, at least that’s what I was told AFTER I paid and received mine. When I got my figure, I questioned him on why there was no touch function, but instead have to use a remote. He gave me this spiel about how it’s supposedly better/more durable than the touch function especially for US customers and that it cost him more to do, so I should be grateful that it was the same price as the touch. I don’t believe that one bit. I believe it was easier for him to just do the remote system than go through the trouble of making the touch system since he's doing these in mass now thanks to the partnership with Toys Wonderland. And since it's a remote vs touch function, the refocuser and the body turn on/off at the same time. You can't just turn on one or the other independently or together when they're attached to each other like it shows in the Justin's video.

In addition to that, he didn’t add all the lights to the refocusor, so I called him on that. He said he’d redo it for it me, since it was his error. But when it was finally ready to be shipped, he wouldn’t send it unless I paid him for the nearly $70 shipping charges which was never agreed upon. And some of the plastic was cracked around one of the screws (probably from him trying to get it done fast), so I had to permanently glue one of the flanges and screws together so that it would stay together.

Next, he used a microUSB attachment for the charging of the body and refocursor ports, not the small plugs that Justin shows in the video. The glue he uses to hold the ports in place don’t stand up to natural plugging and unplugging due to how tight the connection is, so mine ripped out of the body and refocuser after unplugging from my first charge. And trust me, I didn’t just yank the cord out either. Unfortunately, for the body port, it pulled the wiring right off with it. Thankfully, I have some soldering skill, so I was able to put it back together; but, man did it suck with the limited amount of space and wiring I had to work with. I’ve got a more solid connection now, but still hold the port with my fingers when unplugging the cord now.

Lastly, unless you’re having it plugged in permanently, you will need to “jump start” the internal battery every time you want to turn the lights on, no matter if you’ve already fully charged it. No luxury if just walking by and touching it to power or or taking your remote to momentarily turn the lights on. If it’s been about a day since you’ve had the lights on last, you’ve got to take it out of your display, and plug it back in the charger for about a minute, then you’ll be able to operate the lights again freely.

So, yea, it’s cool in theory and if it worked as effortlessly as Justin shows, especially to not have to mess with all those batteries and compartments along with no visible wires hanging out the back. But, there’s a lot they don’t tell you about or even show you in the video, on their product listing page or in the site pics.

Just my 2 cents from my own experience. Maybe I just got the short end of the stick and got a bad one.

Wow, very sorry to hear that. It’s a lot of money and a pretty big leap of faith. Doesn’t seem like they delivered on what was promised.

Changing things without prior notice and essentially holding your property hostage over a mistake they made is really unacceptable.

I think this discussion could’ve been contained in the Mk 85 thread since it’s so niche. Especially after the experience Gipetto had.

@Asta

I feel like this deserves it's own thread for discussion.

I think this discussion could’ve been contained in the Mk 85 thread since it’s so niche. Especially after the experience Gipetto had.

@Asta

Dunno Elmo.gif

:lol

Wow, very sorry to hear that. It’s a lot of money and a pretty big leap of faith. Doesn’t seem like they delivered on what was promised.

Changing things without prior notice and essentially holding your property hostage over a mistake they made is really unacceptable.

@Asta
Yea agreed, it definitely wasn’t cheap but felt like a good idea, since I wasn’t planning on buying all the different suits. I had already previously bought a regular 85 and really hated taking all those panels off. So, this seemed like a great solution rather than the others I had previously seen with the wires hanging out the back that needed to be plugged in all the time.

I thought I did enough research with reading other ppls comments, etc. on both Facebook and IG, so I felt fairly comfortable especially with the prospect of being incredibly user friendly. But what I got wasn’t what was originally solicited. Arguably, still better than having to take all those panels off and deal with constantly changing out batteries. But not as effortless as I had hoped (and paid) for.

I almost fell for it again b/c they had temporarily offered the same service for the Mk46 reissue but really didn’t wanna take the chance, even with it being one of my favorite armors. Especially, since I had to open a PayPal case to get my Mk85 from them. Was worried they send me a dud this go around.

Yea agreed, it definitely wasn’t cheap but felt like a good idea, since I wasn’t planning on buying all the different suits. I had already previously bought a regular 85 and really hated taking all those panels off. So, this seemed like a great solution rather than the others I had previously seen with the wires hanging out the back that needed to be plugged in all the time.

I thought I did enough research with reading other ppls comments, etc. on both Facebook and IG, so I felt fairly comfortable especially with the prospect of being incredibly user friendly. But what I got wasn’t what was originally solicited. Arguably, still better than having to take all those panels off and deal with constantly changing out batteries. But not as effortless as I had hoped (and paid) for.

I almost fell for it again b/c they had temporarily offered the same service for the Mk46 reissue but really didn’t wanna take the chance, even with it being one of my favorite armors. Especially, since I had to open a PayPal case to get my Mk85 from them. Was worried they send me a dud this go around.

For the amount of money Hot Toys made on Iron Man figures alone, they could’ve done the lighting better. But I suppose keeping the costs lower made them more money so…

A brand new next gen Iron Man figure might do it all better with InArt breathing down their neck. But who knows.

When I had Iron Man figures, I just didn’t bother with the lighting which is a shame because it brings the figure to life. But I don’t think I could trust someone else to heavily modify a figure when it requires a lot of internal surgery and trust.

It always feels like you’re a careful and pragmatic collector so I know you did a lot of due diligence going in. Feels like they did a bait and switch on you though, which you couldn’t have accounted for. What a shame.

For the amount of money Hot Toys made on Iron Man figures alone, they could’ve done the lighting better. But I suppose keeping the costs lower made them more money so…

A brand new next gen Iron Man figure might do it all better with InArt breathing down their neck. But who knows.

When I had Iron Man figures, I just didn’t bother with the lighting which is a shame because it brings the figure to life. But I don’t think I could trust someone else to heavily modify a figure when it requires a lot of internal surgery and trust.

It always feels like you’re a careful and pragmatic collector so I know you did a lot of due diligence going in. Feels like they did a bait and switch on you though, which you couldn’t have accounted for. What a shame.
I appreciate that. I’d like to think I am too 😅 and I customize things often, so I’m pretty careful and don’t ham hand things. I would be straight up if I had just went in and yank the cords out causing the problems myself and would instead be warning others to be more careful than I was. However, my problems have all stemmed from what the end result was rather than user errors.

Sad part is, I don’t really feel comfortable selling it off either as I worry about someone else causing damage from misuse then claiming I sold it to them that way. With the way PayPal and eBay are, they would more than likely give favor to the buyer, then I’m left with a broken figure and out the money too. So, I sorta feel stuck with it.

And I agree about frequency of turning the lights on. In my time of waiting for this Morgan Workshop version, I had purchased the Mark 4, 6 and 7 and never turned on the lights outside of actually checking to make sure they worked during the initial unboxings. I have the 7 on display right now and only ever turn the eyes on once a month for a few minutes if that. Granted, if this Mk85 was done the way it was said to, then I would probably turn the lights on way more frequently b/c of how easy it was supposed to be. As it stands, I’m selling all my iron man and war machine armors now with the exception of this and keeping my Mk3 PO, for now at least.

I appreciate that. I’d like to think I am too 😅 and I customize things often, so I’m pretty careful and don’t ham hand things. I would be straight up if I had just went in and yank the cords out causing the problems myself and would instead be warning others to be more careful than I was. However, my problems have all stemmed from what the end result was rather than user errors.

Sad part is, I don’t really feel comfortable selling it off either as I worry about someone else causing damage from misuse then claiming I sold it to them that way. With the way PayPal and eBay are, they would more than likely give favor to the buyer, then I’m left with a broken figure and out the money too. So, I sorta feel stuck with it.

And I agree about frequency of turning the lights on. In my time of waiting for this Morgan Workshop version, I had purchased the Mark 4, 6 and 7 and never turned on the lights outside of actually checking to make sure they worked during the initial unboxings. I have the 7 on display right now and only ever turn the eyes on once a month for a few minutes if that. Granted, if this Mk85 was done the way it was said to, then I would probably turn the lights on way more frequently b/c of how easy it was supposed to be. As it stands, I’m selling all my iron man and war machine armors now with the exception of this and keeping my Mk3 PO, for now at least.

If you sold it on the forum with an explanation of what happened, someone would buy it. And I’d trust another board member to be understanding with any issues since you were upfront more so than some rando from eBay.

Are you getting out of Iron Man figures in general?

Are you considering an unmodified Mk 46 since you don’t want a converted one anymore?

If you sold it on the forum with an explanation of what happened, someone would buy it. And I’d trust another board member to be understanding with any issues since you were upfront more so than some rando from eBay.

Are you getting out of Iron Man figures in general?

Are you considering an unmodified Mk 46 since you don’t want a converted one anymore?
Very true. I might consider it later after I've sold the bulk of everything else I have. It's just cumbersome to get rid of 50+ figures so I've been lazy.

I'm getting out of MCU collecting I think, other than a select few I'll keep for now. It just doesn't impress me enough and/or I'm just not as interested as I used to be anymore. Feels a little like I'm settling b/c it's all that's available at this scale. So, I'm still mixed feelings about the MK46. If HT makes an improved FA or Golden Age Cap 2.0 then I could see myself getting them. Or if Queen Studios make a nice Endgame 1/4 Cap statue, I'd probably sell my HT and just have the statue represent the MCU for my collection. But otherwise, I think I can do without so many. I think it was just me rewatching the entire Infinity saga a year or so ago that made me feel like I NEEDED to have some sort of representation in my collection and just went a little wild buying up stuff. But, that feeling has passed and just b/c I don't have the figures in my collection doesn't mean I don't enjoy the movies. I sort of get caught up in the "maybe I can fix this" with the older figures, but I'm eventually reminded that I've sold them before for a reason and buying them again doesn't make them any better than they were the first time. Diecast Iron Man figures were brand new to me though, so they were exciting for a bit :LOL:

Sort of why I've wanted to start focusing on Star Wars more than before. I walk passed my SW figures and look in enjoyment. I walk passed my MCU ones and just don't get that same feeling. Probably helps that I have the "ignorance is bliss" going for me with SW as I don't know the costumes for SW as closely as I do for MCU. And even for the SW characters that I do, the inaccuracies tend to feel minor to me compared to how I see others feel/react to helmets, armor shapes, etc. I know for some it's really important, so I'm definitely not judging. But, luckily for me, I get to just enjoy them as is without getting to bothered like I would for maybe an MCU or even a DC character.

Last edited:
This was of interest to be because I'm looking for solutions for wiring my figures up that doesn't use batteries. They all sit in a case and don't move. If I could connect everything to a single permanently plugged in switch and light everything up at once that would the the ideal situation, so I was more interested in reverse engineering this sort of solution then actually buying figures from him, especially now based on Gipetto's experience.

I have used SoapReactors to light my figures, including the Iron Man suits. They can be costly as you tend to add more and more reactors for new figures as they pale in comparison when you put up to the ones you have already lit.

The BIG downside is trailing wires….EVERYWHERE particularly when you have about 6 battery outlets for 1 iron man!

I generally set my figures up in a semi-action pose and leave them like that, so pose ability is not an issue for me. If you planned on “playing” altering poses regularly then the SoapReactor is not for you.

Anyway, just wanted to present an option.

Yeah, my main interest with this thing is how well the wires were hidden. I don't think it's a perfect solution, but I think if we take somethings from this some things from Soaps, and so on and so forth eventually we'll get to a nice home brew solution.

Here is my endgame display using the soap reactors. Sorry for bad picture qualit. I am using an old iPad camera.
7804123A-D056-4C5F-82D7-262A959B6FDA.jpeg

This was of interest to be because I'm looking for solutions for wiring my figures up that doesn't use batteries. They all sit in a case and don't move. If I could connect everything to a single permanently plugged in switch and light everything up at once that would the the ideal situation, so I was more interested in reverse engineering this sort of solution then actually buying figures from him, especially now based on Gipetto's experience.
I would just say, ask ALL questions you have before you order if you’re interested so that there are no surprises like what happened with me. Ask if you’ll get the touch function ahead of time, as if the entire refocuser will have LEDs, etc.

Like I said, I could’ve very well just had bad luck.

Big Breda did a review of someone’s who also had theirs done by Morgan’s workshop but has the advertised touch function. Of course, BigBreda isn’t in the US so maybe that is why.

I would just say, ask ALL questions you have before you order if you’re interested so that there are no surprises like what happened with me.

Unfortunately someone can ask all the questions they want but that doesn't mean the answers they get will match up with the product they receive. :lol

I'm not in the market for something like this, but I honestly could not support their business in any way based on what happened to you even if its an outlier (which I wouldn't think it is). Doesn't matter if an experience like that happens to 1 person or 100. It's just not right.

Hmm so let me get this… an untrustworthy guy collaborating with an untrustworthy store… what could go wrong?

Gipetto you’re too nice a guy. Not getting what you paid for (touch vs remote), getting it back wrong and then being charged 70$ shipping… that’s no lack of luck from your side, that’s just shady business tactics to say the least. You giving him the benefit of the doubt still… I’ll say your avatar suits you mate.

Looks just like the match with Toyswonderland is not a coincidence. Same rule seems to apply: may work out great for one, may not for you and then you are s… out of luck. Too bad this things still have to happen in this hobby unfortunately.

Thanks Gipetto for the heads up!

Unfortunately someone can ask all the questions they want but that doesn't mean the answers they get will match up with the product they receive. :lol

I'm not in the market for something like this, but I honestly could not support their business in any way based on what happened to you even if its an outlier (which I wouldn't think it is). Doesn't matter if an experience like that happens to 1 person or 100. It's just not right.
You're definitely right! It could just end up being an "Oh, I didn't realize when you asked that you were in the US, so you don't get a touch function, sorry." and then you're still screwed. Or any other number or replies Morgan's Workshop might give.

I for sure don't want what happened to me, to also happen to anyone else. I just hope for anyone that still tries to go through with it gets a better end product than I did.

Hmm so let me get this… an untrustworthy guy collaborating with an untrustworthy store… what could go wrong?

Gipetto you’re too nice a guy. Not getting what you paid for (touch vs remote), getting it back wrong and then being charged 70$ shipping… that’s no lack of luck from your side, that’s just shady business tactics to say the least. You giving him the benefit of the doubt still… I’ll say your avatar suits you mate.

Looks just like the match with Toyswonderland is not a coincidence. Same rule seems to apply: may work out great for one, may not for you and then you are s… out of luck. Too bad this things still have to happen in this hobby unfortunately.

Thanks Gipetto for the heads up!
haha most definitely. I think at that point, I was just ready to get it all over with and let the "nightmare" end rather than prolonging with more back and forth about what was advertised and what I received.

I had thought he was trustworthy as I had already planned to send him mine to get done well before he started working with TW. I had heard great reviews from other collectors on IG about their experience. Then, it just seemed more convenient to order a brand new one from TW since they were handling all the shipping and I would just sell the one I already had to recoup some cost. But, lessoned learned that just as there are ppl who sing TW praises all over social media even though we know now more than ever that they're crooked, the same is probably for Morgan's Workshop, unfortunately.

And for more clarity, my initial Paypal dispute did start with TW since they kept giving me constant covid delay excuses when Morgan's Workshop had already told me that it had been shipped to TW months prior. Then, all my communication on the product itself after it was finally received was with Morgan's Workshop directly.

I'm pretty sure if I try to spend the nearly $300 worth in TW points I got from this purchase, that TW will send me threats like they did with Cocoboloboy :lol Sort of a bummer b/c that was another plus that I would basically get enough points for a free regular figure by purchasing this service with them. Another too good to be true situation with them, unfortunately.

You're definitely right! It could just end up being an "Oh, I didn't realize when you asked that you were in the US, so you don't get a touch function, sorry." and then you're still screwed. Or any other number or replies Morgan's Workshop might give.

I for sure don't want what happened to me, to also happen to anyone else. I just hope for anyone that still tries to go through with it gets a better end product than I did.

They're just lucky you're too good a person to get the China Police Department involved. Then there would've been real trouble.

Back