Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait.. The hands and accessories that are included ARE part of the $350 figure. They're part of the reason you're paying a premium price.

You absolutely can compare them. I don't see why you couldn't.. If the hands of a $350 figure are fading, and the hands of a $20 figure aren't.. Then there's a problem.

You can give them any excuse you want. Fact is, it shouldn't happen, not to any of them. By now they should be well aware of the issue, no matter how big or small it is, and be working on a solution to remedy it or offer proper care instructions to prevent it from happening, or offer those with this problem replacements. If doing that isn't possible, they should then prepare themselves to address it with future releases by making extra hands and doing their own experiments to identify and fix the problem, or find a prevention method.

No company is blame-less. And a lot of companies, when they learn of problems with something they've made, initiate recalls.

I do give them some leeway for earlier releases, but if it's already happening to the mark 43.. That's a problem.

Like I said, even if it's a small percentage of people who experience the problem, it still is a problem and really should be addressed. The $350 price tag absolutely means that we should expect these to age better than a $20 figure.. After all a fist of a $350 figure costs significantly more than a $20 figures fist.

Quality control problems affect every product, toys, home decor, appliances etc. so I understand those problems and usually they're easily fixed. But a problem like this is not. There's no recourse right now for those affected by this, and that should be changed.

The goal for them should be to make everyone happy with their purchases. $350 is a lot to spend on something.. Even if there's a 99% chance that it won't happen, 1% is still too high with this type of problem.

Thank you for posting my thoughts lol. That was one of the worst argument I've ever heard. I didn't know that I bought a $330 body and a $20 hand. Hot toys gets a lot of props for their details but at the same time should be called out for their horrible quality. If you think the fading is a small percentage then you should go to the raiden three where every arm brakes. Every single one of them.

I don't think the fade issues are even on HT's radar or they're adjusting the process so it doesn't happen in future releases; they would never ever provide replacement parts for something like the faded IP hands cause it would send them down a path they would regret taking. I'm really hoping the HB doesn't go pink on me; although its a possibility I'm thinking it would have very little painted soft plastic (I hope).

I keep mine separated by character. Just in case i ever needed to put all the original pieces back in the original box.
But i keep mine in Really Useful Boxes.

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6117.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

They can't completely fix it. Unless they don't paint them. What they fixed was the chance it would fade through a chemical reaction between the paint and material. But paint is a chemical that will react to the pit in your hands, to heat, to uv light and nothing on the planet will 100% prevent it. Can't be done with a figure. There will be a higher chance of it happening when the material is more porus like vinyl or rubber or other soft synth items. On hard plastic it has a very small chance of fade. but even the rubber type material has a low chance to fade. You can post one or two hands that have it. I can post photos of a thousand hands that don't. Ten thousand probably. Heat is the biggest cause of the issue.

As for it not being a 20 dollar toy...a set of fists are less then 20 bucks. You can't compare a faded mid section on a figure to faded hands in the same way. It's just not the same thing. The 350 dollar toy isn't faded, it's 2 dollar accessory is. And that's a big distinction.

It's a very small chance of anything happening.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm diminishing your issue or beating you up. It sucks when somethings not right with your stuff. I'm just trying to make the point that it's not nearly as big an issue as some believe it to be.

It's pretty easy to fix it. They produce it from hard plastic (like articulated hands) and voila, it's fixed.

Hi guys I'm looking for a pair of plastic pants for my iron man Mark 3 battle damaged figure mms110. Don't mind if they are faded as I can fix it but can't find any on ebay :eek:(

Even MK43 hands are fading too. I bought a MK45 and I know that it's hands will fade too.

YZ0H1Ex.jpg

We're paying more than $300 for this figures. It's not that hard to produce all hands from solid plastic. Articulated hands never fade. So it means that this kind of plastic won't fade. I don't see why HT still persist to produce these hands from sof plastic.

Also the articulated hands of MK45 are slightly different from non-articulated hands. Finger articulation points should be silver, but it ain't.

I think we should draw attention to this issue. Because even in die-cast Iron Man figures the fading issue is as clear as crystal. Especially for hands.

Last edited:
So I recently went through my entire Iron Man collection and was rephotographing and I noticed my Mark IV, Mark VI, and Mark III Battle Damaged all have faded shorts. I am hoping to repaint them all soon, in the future.

Even MK43 hands are fading too. I bought a MK45 and I know that it's hands will fade too.

YZ0H1Ex.jpg

We're paying more than $300 for this figures. It's not that hard to produce all hands from solid plastic. Articulated hands never fade. So it means that this kind of plastic won't fade. I don't see why HT still persist to produce these hands from sof plastic.

Also the articulated hands of MK45 are slightly different from non-articulated hands. Finger articulation points should be silver, but it ain't.

I think we should draw attention to this issue. Because even in die-cast Iron Man figures the fading issue is as clear as crystal. Especially for hands.

Did you keep those hands in the box? I found that the hands I have kept in the box faded while the ones I had on the figure on display did not.

I dont keep my IM hands in yhe box anymore after my Iron Patriot hands faded. So far they have been good.

Another reason why I tend to avoid buying old MISB figures now. This is a good reminder for me to repack my newer Iron Man hands too.... :D

Did you keep those hands in the box? I found that the hands I have kept in the box faded while the ones I had on the figure on display did not.

For me it's contrast. The hand I keep in the box doesn't faded but the hand I dispay is faded.

All this talk about fade...for those who have experienced it by simply leaving their Hot Toy in the packaging, how long did it take for the fade to happen? 1+ year or like 4 months?

All this talk about fade...for those who have experienced it by simply leaving their Hot Toy in the packaging, how long did it take for the fade to happen? 1+ year or like 4 months?

I can't tell really since I didn't check the hands regularly in the box. I owned the Mk VII for 3 years now and that has the worst fade (the ones on the display figure are fine). My MkXLIII also had faded hands and I've owned that for just over a year. The MkIII Diecast hands are fine, and those were less than a year old.

My Mk43 and 42 have faded hands also... been in its box probably a good 95 percent of the time, never in direct sunlight...

SO how do we keep the hands? Not in the box, no direct sunlight. Ok. But where and how? May you please give us some tricks?

Back