Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes they are, my mark 43 was hit. Not the body but his hands specifically the fisted hands. Also my Iron Patriot and Mark 3. So yes it is still going on.

I see. have the articulated hands held up? I imagine the articulated hands are a different material so I wonder if they hold up better.

Do you have pictures?

Not doubting you or anything, I'm just curious to see how bad it is.

hands.jpg

Not sure if you can see difference on the pic but in hand it is pretty clear. It sucks because it's not like its a $20 toy. This is $350 and Mark 43 wasn't released that long ago. They obviously haven't haven't fixed this issue since you see it in the new releases.

I see. have the articulated hands held up? I imagine the articulated hands are a different material so I wonder if they hold up better.

It is holding up pretty good....for now. The repulsor hands however is starting to show signs of fading. Mind you this happened while theses hands are in the box, inside a house that is temperature controlled, away from sunlight and humidity. I think Hot toys quality is just plain bad on these paint.

View attachment 268690

Not sure if you can see difference on the pic but in hand it is pretty clear. It sucks because it's not like its a $20 toy. This is $350 and Mark 43 wasn't released that long ago. They obviously haven't haven't fixed this issue since you see it in the new releases.

I can see it, the fading is pretty significant. :( Yikes!

View attachment 268690

Man, that's too bad. I've been planning to pre-order the MK 46, and it sucks knowing that this is a distinct possibility.

My MkVII's hands also faded. I think keeping these in the box increases their chances of fading.

My MkVII's hands also faded. I think keeping these in the box increases their chances of fading.

all of my hands and accessories are in little jewelry baggies in a clear compartmented jewelry/hobby case and i haven't had any problems with any of my figures.

i wonder why it's happening to some and not others.

I don't trust the word of anyone who says they trawl ebay listings for evidence of faded pink doll panties.

( I think your joking so not directed toward you specific...just a general statement about the idea.unless your not joking. Then.. )

I didn't say I go around randomly looking. But when I have a discussion about it and people continue to claim it's this massive problem I like to have some evidence to back up what I'm saying. Something that anyone can check. Every time this comes up ten people claim it's some widespread issue and if you have a figure it WILL happen. Period. And that it won't last 5 years. And all that junk. And you can easily...yes easily..disprove this. When dozens or hundreds are available to inspect at any one time and you can't even find one that has the issue...well it's just not that widespread is it. It's like the rubber issue where people say the figures will fall apart after 5 years, or like every figure will break. That's easy enough to see it isn't the case. Takes typing five words on eBay and using your eyes. When you see hundreds, or thousands, of these figures on sites like eBay and Amazon and even here and only a handful have issues...it's just not that big an issue. Statistically your more likely to have it lost in the mail, or stolen, but do people run around touting why you shouldn't buy the figure because of that?

Yes, it happens occasionally to hands on a few newer figures. Yes it occasionally happens to sections on mk6 and back. But it is by no measure a widespread issue. Not even close. And any person can easily see the evidence.

View attachment 268690

They can't completely fix it. Unless they don't paint them. What they fixed was the chance it would fade through a chemical reaction between the paint and material. But paint is a chemical that will react to the pit in your hands, to heat, to uv light and nothing on the planet will 100% prevent it. Can't be done with a figure. There will be a higher chance of it happening when the material is more porus like vinyl or rubber or other soft synth items. On hard plastic it has a very small chance of fade. but even the rubber type material has a low chance to fade. You can post one or two hands that have it. I can post photos of a thousand hands that don't. Ten thousand probably. Heat is the biggest cause of the issue.

As for it not being a 20 dollar toy...a set of fists are less then 20 bucks. You can't compare a faded mid section on a figure to faded hands in the same way. It's just not the same thing. The 350 dollar toy isn't faded, it's 2 dollar accessory is. And that's a big distinction.

It's a very small chance of anything happening.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm diminishing your issue or beating you up. It sucks when somethings not right with your stuff. I'm just trying to make the point that it's not nearly as big an issue as some believe it to be.

Last edited:
Well, they could probably fix it if they made ALL the hands die-cast, right? Rather than painting them.

Diecast parts are painted.... just like cars are.

I actually didn't know that. I think I assumed that they put something in the diecast material to turn it different colors? Paint makes more sense.

Anyway, from the picture on the last page, it looks like whatever they do for painting the diecast parts holds up better. So if the hands were all done the same, there'd be no fading? Maybe?

i don't think diecast hands would be a smart idea. since a lot of people use the blast pose, i would think that adding the extra weight to the end of the arm might loosen the shoulder joint over time if left in that position.

My patriot hands are pinkening as well, all the solid ones that are a softer plastic (repulsor and fist). The gauntlet is still a deep red so its easier to see the contrast, the articulated hands are fine. This was happening to my 1/6 Mk43 hands as well before I sold it, and I did not have that figure long.

edit to add- I also just checked Hot Rod as they are the same hands but they are not faded at all, those boxes are stored in the exact same place and conditions

jAasNsy.jpg

a7sIBni.jpg

UnCbOJb.jpg

Last edited:
They can't completely fix it. Unless they don't paint them. What they fixed was the chance it would fade through a chemical reaction between the paint and material. But paint is a chemical that will react to the pit in your hands, to heat, to uv light and nothing on the planet will 100% prevent it. Can't be done with a figure. There will be a higher chance of it happening when the material is more porus like vinyl or rubber or other soft synth items. On hard plastic it has a very small chance of fade. but even the rubber type material has a low chance to fade. You can post one or two hands that have it. I can post photos of a thousand hands that don't. Ten thousand probably. Heat is the biggest cause of the issue.

As for it not being a 20 dollar toy...a set of fists are less then 20 bucks. You can't compare a faded mid section on a figure to faded hands in the same way. It's just not the same thing. The 350 dollar toy isn't faded, it's 2 dollar accessory is. And that's a big distinction.

It's a very small chance of anything happening.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm diminishing your issue or beating you up. It sucks when somethings not right with your stuff. I'm just trying to make the point that it's not nearly as big an issue as some believe it to be.

Wait.. The hands and accessories that are included ARE part of the $350 figure. They're part of the reason you're paying a premium price.

You absolutely can compare them. I don't see why you couldn't.. If the hands of a $350 figure are fading, and the hands of a $20 figure aren't.. Then there's a problem.

You can give them any excuse you want. Fact is, it shouldn't happen, not to any of them. By now they should be well aware of the issue, no matter how big or small it is, and be working on a solution to remedy it or offer proper care instructions to prevent it from happening, or offer those with this problem replacements. If doing that isn't possible, they should then prepare themselves to address it with future releases by making extra hands and doing their own experiments to identify and fix the problem, or find a prevention method.

No company is blame-less. And a lot of companies, when they learn of problems with something they've made, initiate recalls.

I do give them some leeway for earlier releases, but if it's already happening to the mark 43.. That's a problem.

Like I said, even if it's a small percentage of people who experience the problem, it still is a problem and really should be addressed. The $350 price tag absolutely means that we should expect these to age better than a $20 figure.. After all a fist of a $350 figure costs significantly more than a $20 figures fist.

Quality control problems affect every product, toys, home decor, appliances etc. so I understand those problems and usually they're easily fixed. But a problem like this is not. There's no recourse right now for those affected by this, and that should be changed.

The goal for them should be to make everyone happy with their purchases. $350 is a lot to spend on something.. Even if there's a 99% chance that it won't happen, 1% is still too high with this type of problem.

( I think your joking so not directed toward you specific...just a general statement about the idea.unless your not joking. Then.. )

Yes, it happens occasionally to hands on a few newer figures. Yes it occasionally happens to sections on mk6 and back. But it is by no measure a widespread issue. Not even close. And any person can easily see the evidence.

It's a widespread enough issue that there there's a dedicated thread about it here; tutorials on the interwebs on how to address it; and a bootlegger attempt to offer a 'panty pack'.

The chemistry is the same, the materials the same on every Mk IV figure. The only thing that separates a faded set of panties from an unfaded set of panties is time.

all of my hands and accessories are in little jewelry baggies in a clear compartmented jewelry/hobby case and i haven't had any problems with any of my figures.

i wonder why it's happening to some and not others.

Clever. Might have to get myself a such a case. I tend to keep my 1/6 accessories in the original boxes.

Clever. Might have to get myself a such a case. I tend to keep my 1/6 accessories in the original boxes.

i change up my display and poses fairly often, and when i do that, i usually change everyone's pose. so, it's much easier to go through a little jewelry holder than open 11 boxes lol.

this is one of my cases..

image_zpsiaxrkw5n.jpg

i've added to it since i've taken this photo. i need to grab another one and some more bags.

Back