Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed a strange trend with mine. I have a few Mark suits on display on shelves and they have not faded.

The other few Mark suits I have that are MISB have ALL faded. I wonder if it's the damn moisture packet behind the figures that has some sort of chemical reaction with the rubber/paint.

I'm making this assumption that it could be the culprit since none of my fresh air exposed displayed figures have ever encountered fading.

Now that is an interesting observation that I wish I was smart enough to explain. It does suggest that the paint fade - at least in your case - is not a symptom of UV exposure... who'd have thought it.

Now that is an interesting observation that I wish I was smart enough to explain. It does suggest that the paint fade - at least in your case - is not a symptom of UV exposure... who'd have thought it.

I have the IM mark III still in its box, have since I purchased. I opened recently to remove the batteries (did this will all the toys with batteries) and noticed that there was an ever-so-slight fade on the torso. Very faint but I did do a double-take.

I have all of them and plenty of friend that do, too, and they don't have any issues.

One of my friends tried lightly polishing his IV with turtle wax and that removed some of the gloss and paint from around the chest area.

Other than that, this is the only place I've seen a few people with problems.

more power to you and your friends who have flawless, no fade iron mans.

we are discussing fade issues here because this is a Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue thread.

my mark 2, 3 bd, 4 and 6 all have fade issues but i don't care. maybe my mark 1 and 5 will have it too someday. i'm not really worried though. 2 more years of painting practice, and restoring these things will be a piece of cake, if i even still care when that time comes.

Glad I traded and sold off all my Ironman stuff ages ago... With the fade issue now all I need is anthor figure with issuses form HT my Comedian already leaks...

Even with pink undies I'd still love the hell outta my Mk IV. It's nice to know there's an easy fix with a repaint so I'm not worried even if it does fade to the point where it bothers me. No way will I be getting rid of him :)

Even with pink undies I'd still love the hell outta my Mk IV. It's nice to know there's an easy fix with a repaint so I'm not worried even if it does fade to the point where it bothers me. No way will I be getting rid of him :)

True words. My IV has faded, but it's only noticable because it's displayed next to a brand new MKVI. MKIV is what led me to this company and he will be the very last to go if I ever decide to sell my Hot Toys.

So far so good for my Mark 4 & 6, no fade issues. :yess:.
But my BD Mark 3 already has faded abs section and neck. :gah:
The thing is, right from the shop, i immediately displayed the Mark 4 & 6, while the BD Mark 3 lingered in its box for about 6 months or so coz i didn't have a display cabinet then.

So the Sunlight is the Main Reason why the paint fades? hmm Alright, I always pose my figures for my Photography purposes and do i need gloves when handling this figures?

So the Sunlight is the Main Reason why the paint fades? hmm Alright, I always pose my figures for my Photography purposes and do i need gloves when handling this figures?

mrclean pointed out that his MISB figs all had fading issues whereas his displayed ones didn't, so sunlight isn't necessarily the culprit. And yeh, the IM figs are fingerprint magnets, I'd wear gloves handling them.

:exactly:

Now that should be the attitude! :hi5:

more power to you and your friends who have flawless, no fade iron mans.

we are discussing fade issues here because this is a Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue thread.

my mark 2, 3 bd, 4 and 6 all have fade issues but i don't care. maybe my mark 1 and 5 will have it too someday. i'm not really worried though. 2 more years of painting practice, and restoring these things will be a piece of cake, if i even still care when that time comes.

I'm certainly not the only one on this forum without fading.

Anyway, it would seem that it's only affecting a limited number of people.

I'll get worried when the old school members with lots of experience start posting about the problem.

It's hard to tell who's telling the truth and who's just trolling because they don't like Hot Toys.

Talk is very cheap, so we need photos to support any arguments about QC...

I don't believe anything without verifiable proof, and that's something that there isn't much of in this thread.

mrclean pointed out that his MISB figs all had fading issues whereas his displayed ones didn't, so sunlight isn't necessarily the culprit. And yeh, the IM figs are fingerprint magnets, I'd wear gloves handling them.

that's an interesting theory.

Alex Teo of toyhaven.blogspot said he regreted returning and keeping some of his figs in the box. the storage detriorated the rubber. could be affecting paint as well. or paint on the rubber.

maybe.

I've noticed a strange trend with mine. I have a few Mark suits on display on shelves and they have not faded.

The other few Mark suits I have that are MISB have ALL faded. I wonder if it's the damn moisture packet behind the figures that has some sort of chemical reaction with the rubber/paint.

I'm making this assumption that it could be the culprit since none of my fresh air exposed displayed figures have ever encountered fading.

I have asked a few fellow collectors & all of us are having the same situation as mrclean08. Those Mark figs that are on display (no direct sunlight), none of them suffer fade issue while those Mark figs that are MIB or MISB, all suffer fade issue. As per Alex Teo's blog he also suggested to let our figs out of the boxes so they can "breathe".

This time I'm not taking any chance, the moment Mark V arrive, out it goes to my display! :)

My Mark III was always out on display and he faded. I avoided direct sunlight but he was never in a sealed case.

As for Mark III, it's a futile case. Regardless if we display, MIB or MISB condition, there is no escape... :(

I remember awhile back someone had used a black Gundam marker GM01 if I remember to darken the BD mark III abs and it worked pretty well. Not sure which thread I saw it in. Maybe the old Mark III BD pics thread? He even had pics up.

Back