Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a brand new Mark 43. Seller checked the contents before shipping and, when I received it, 1 fisted hand and 1 repulsor hand has faded. I contacted him and he said its a normal problem. Should I be annoyed that he missed the fading when he was checking or is this something I should just accept? Maybe if it had not fade I would be able to keep the colour.

I suppose it depends on what you asked the seller to check for. He may have interpreted you asking to check the contents as "can you see if everything is there?" Now, if you asked specifically to see if there were any issues with the figure or accessories (i.e. chipped paint, loose joints, faulty lights, faded paint, etc.), then yes, you should definitely be annoyed if he withheld information from you.

Ultimately though, I see it as either a deliberate lie or a lie of omission. Whether you asked specifically for paint issues or not, if you were willing to let the him open up a brand new figure to check for anything pre-shipment, he knew what he was doing when he didn't mention the pink hands.

Careful though, some members here don't like complaining about "nitpicky" imperfections, so you may get slightly differing opinions...

To answer your question though, it comes down to whether it's worth it to you to go through the trouble of asking for a refund and shipping it back, and any resultant situations that may arise from that process. If you only use the articulated hands, then I would probably keep it but ask for some money back if that seems fair to you.

Just got a brand new Mark 43. Seller checked the contents before shipping and, when I received it, 1 fisted hand and 1 repulsor hand has faded. I contacted him and he said its a normal problem. Should I be annoyed that he missed the fading when he was checking or is this something I should just accept? Maybe if it had not fade I would be able to keep the colour.

I'm sure it would fade eventually.

I'm sure it would fade eventually.

Some people believe the fading issue is connected with the styrofoam material that's used for the boxes.

In that case, it would probably fade eventually if kept inside the box.

Nonetheless, if kept in another environment, I'm not sure it would fade. Mine didn't. I store my iron man accessories inside hard plastic boxes. No issues whatsoever.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Yes, you should. I just got a spare body for a project (super cheap not HT) and the seller was good enough to warn me ahead of time that the upper torso and legs were different shades, send pics, and ask if I still wanted the product. That's how potential problems are handled. Seller may lose a sale by being up front, but I've bought a couple of things "damaged" anyway 'coz I knew ahead - and gave seller highest rec for honesty. And I kept the body, too.

BS - something fresh out of the box may have faded, but that's not what you believed you were buying.

By the way, I also share the opinion that the seller should have told you about the faded hands, since you asked for an inspection.

Therefore, I would ask for a partial refund, based on the prices of the hands parted out on ebay.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

I cannot blame only the seller in this issue if the figure came to you unopened. I won't be able to see my mk43's hand is faded unless I saw them under a white light. My room's lamp has daylight color. SO I cannot notice the fade even I look closely. So in a unopened box noticing faded hands is very difficult.

I cannot blame only the seller in this issue if the figure came to you unopened. I won't be able to see my mk43's hand is faded unless I saw them under a white light. My room's lamp has daylight color. SO I cannot notice the fade even I look closely. So in a unopened box noticing faded hands is very difficult.

He opened it after I asked to check for flaws. I saw the fading in about 10 seconds after I looked at the spare hands.

Except he asked the seller to check the contents. You'd HAVE to open the styrofoam tray in order to see the figure and accessories, unless you have x-ray vision... So yes, I do believe the seller withheld information from him purposely.

He opened it after I asked to check for flaws. I saw the fading in about 10 seconds after I looked at the spare hands.

Oh sorry. I mixed the mk43 with mk7. I remember that the mk43 was in a clear plastic box, not in the foam. Sorry again.

So I think you should send it back and get a refund.

Except he asked the seller to check the contents. You'd HAVE to open the styrofoam tray in order to see the figure and accessories, unless you have x-ray vision... So yes, I do believe the seller withheld information from him purposely.
I asked to check for flaws. He's not taking responsibility for it. I don't really care about the partial refund so much but rather the lack of honesty.

Has anyone noticed this issue on the quarter scale figures, in particular qs006? Have just picked one up but not sure whether storing in the box is safe

If he was selling as brand new and unopened and you asked him to check it, it's now under your assumption that eh should know about the fade issue and therefore look out for it. I know if I were asked to open a new item and give it a check I would just open it and do a visual check, not take everything out and inspect it up close unless specifically asked. In its packaging the hands that are affected have the palms faced downwards, so if he gave a visual check he wouldn't even see it let alone probably look out for it. I highly doubt people that haven't even opened and owned a Hot Toys Iron man figure are aware of the issue, I think your problem is that you're fixated on him knowing about the issue.

Not to mention if you ask someone to open a mint item and then refuse to buy it due to the fade it now means that seller has lost money due to it being opened. I don't think the blame lies with the sellers, unfortunately Hot Toys chose a **** packaging with **** rubber for the hands. whatever will be will be.

In regards to the 1/4 scale I don't think there's any soft rubber parts, and also it doesn't use styrofoam, it uses a soft padding and then hard plastic clamshell for the extra hands.

Has anyone tried the earlier suggested waxes/polishes? How'd it work for you? Did they fix the fading?

Has anyone tried the earlier suggested waxes/polishes? How'd it work for you? Did they fix the fading?

I tried it on my Mark IV and Mark VI, as both had faded slightly. It doesn't really fix the fading, but it does improve the finish (paint looks less dull/cloudy now). I would caution everyone to not leave this stuff on too long before wiping/polishing. There was quite a bit of red color transferred to the white cloth (t-shirt) that I used, and I doubt that the paint on these figures are as thick as what's on your car. I could see people ruining their figures if they overdo it.

I tried it on my Mark IV and Mark VI, as both had faded slightly. It doesn't really fix the fading, but it does improve the finish (paint looks less dull/cloudy now). I would caution everyone to not leave this stuff on too long before wiping/polishing. There was quite a bit of red color transferred to the white cloth (t-shirt) that I used, and I doubt that the paint on these figures are as thick as what's on your car. I could see people ruining their figures if they overdo it.

Thanks! That's a bummer though....

All this talk about fade made me worried so I unboxed mine over the weekend and took a couple pics.

For reference I bought this back in August 2016 and have kept in the box pretty much ever since. Only took him out 3 times total.

In my opinion I don't see any fade.

What do you guys think? Any fade?

20170430_235136.jpg
20170430_235144.jpg

To make out the fading take a photo of an articulated hand and repulsor hand side by side under a white light. If you cannot notice any color difference, it means there's no fading.

Last edited:
Even MK43 hands are fading too. I bought a MK45 and I know that it's hands will fade too.

YZ0H1Ex.jpg

We're paying more than $300 for this figures. It's not that hard to produce all hands from solid plastic. Articulated hands never fade. So it means that this kind of plastic won't fade. I don't see why HT still persist to produce these hands from sof plastic.

Also the articulated hands of MK45 are slightly different from non-articulated hands. Finger articulation points should be silver, but it ain't.

I think we should draw attention to this issue. Because even in die-cast Iron Man figures the fading issue is as clear as crystal. Especially for hands.

Just noticed my 43 closed fist has faded as well. It’s been unboxed and displayed out of direct sunlight. Bummer that this is still an issue.

Back