1/6 Hot Toys - Infinity War - Iron Spider

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Spider Speculation

Generally speaking, they seem to have improved a bit in their material choices.

If you are new and looking at older figures, there are threads you can look through (search Hot Toys deterioration).

Usually pertains to their use of poor quality rubber materials in older suits. Full body suits like some older Batman figures, rubber for bare arms, that sort of thing.

Pleather flaking off or cracking on coats and jackets is another one. And some of the older Iron Man figures discolored in the the briefs area because of the materials they used.

But again, the quality seems to be a bit better these days. Except they still use really cheap glue so things can fall off sometimes.

Like others have said, humidity, sunlight, proper handling, and environmental factors play a big role in how figures hold up over time.

Don’t let it scare you. If you stick to newer figures and take care of them, you’ll have be figures for a long time. Just watch out when buying older rubber or pleather heavy figures. When in doubt, just ask.
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking at the upcoming Infinity War 1/6 Thanos to be my first Hot Toy. While the rubber arms contribute to that fantastic seamless look, researching the history behind rubber arms has me rather paranoid. My finger is still on the trigger though.

The build of his poseable arms look very similar to Hulk and I can't seem to find anyone who has had cracking issues with the old or new Avengers Hulk. I've considered getting a Lighted Display Case from sideshow, but others have told me that the rubber cracking will happen anywhere even without posing!

I live in Houston, TX and the weather can be crazy.. Is proper AC not enough?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking at the upcoming Infinity War 1/6 Thanos to be my first Hot Toy. While the rubber arms contribute to that fantastic seamless look, researching the history behind rubber arms has me rather paranoid. My finger is still on the trigger though.

The build of his poseable arms look very similar to Hulk and I can't seem to find anyone who has had cracking issues with the old or new Avengers Hulk. I've considered getting a Lighted Display Case from sideshow, but others have told me that the rubber cracking will happen anywhere even without posing!

I live in Houston, TX and the weather can be crazy.. Is proper AC not enough?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You will be fine, 100%. The people who have the most issues live in Malaysia or swamp country. I have owned almost every Marvel or DC figure that Hot Toys put out. I even own the “problematic” ones with zero issues. The only small issue I’ve had over time is the 1st Captain America shield having flaking issues or early Iron Man figures with discoloration over time (“pink panties”). I own the problematic Batman DX, no issues. I had the Appleseed figures from WAY back (10 years?) that had rubber arms on all three...zero issues.

I find I am much more likely to damage a figure myself from carelessness (those damn metal grommets bending on Caps shield got me twice) than have any deterioration other than what I mentioned.

The most flawed superhero figure HT made was the first Mark V (plastic) they made where the ball joints for the hands will fail. I’m replacing my old one with the new Diecast version to remedy that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should also note Motuxmen also has probably all the same figures I do (and probably more at this point as I sold some off) and he will report the same lack of problems. If you scroll up you’ll see he agreed with my first post on this topic.

I honestly wouldn’t worry at all.

Here is a quick pick of maybe 1/4 of my collection.
850a7ad3879602f2d339a98e6cc89d99.jpg

I should also note Motuxmen also has probably all the same figures I do (and probably more at this point as I sold some off) and he will report the same lack of problems. If you scroll up you’ll see he agreed with my first post on this topic.

I honestly wouldn’t worry at all.

Here is a quick pick of maybe 1/4 of my collection.
850a7ad3879602f2d339a98e6cc89d99.jpg

I do agree.

And great collection!

I can only assume that the arms will be attached magnetically too his back. If they are permanently attached..I’ll pass :lecture

I can only assume that the arms will be attached magnetically too his back. If they are permanently attached..I’ll pass :lecture

I don’t see them making it permanently attached. Would make packaging way to hard.

Agreed, no way it’s permanety attached. Boxing and shipping it would be a pain and he doesn’t always have the additional arms out.

It’ll probably just slot into the back and there’ll be caps of some sort to cover the holes when not in use.

Agreed, no way it’s permanety attached. Boxing and shipping it would be a pain and he doesn’t always have the additional arms out.

It’ll probably just slot into the back and there’ll be caps of some sort to cover the holes when not in use.

Not saying that couldnt happen but I think magnets are much more likely.

Yeah, I think the sculpt would be broke up in weird places if there was some kind of caps. Magnets do seem the most likely option at this point.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 2.25.40 PM.jpg

The caps could just be seamlessly sculpted so that they appear like the back of the suit when the arms are retracted. I think we’re imagining different things. I’m just imagining something to cover hypothetical holes for pegged arms if they go that route.

I think Hot Toys would try to avoid magnets whenever they can since they cost more. And it’d take strong magnets for those arms to stay on and articulate without falling of constantly. Plus with their cheap glue, I imagine the magnets getting pulled off all the time haha.

I think pegs would be more likely. Slot the arms in. No extra material cost.

We’ll see what they do.

The caps could just be seamlessly sculpted so that they appear like the back of the suit when the arms are retracted. I think we’re imagining different things. I’m just imagining something to cover hypothetical holes for pegged arms if they go that route.

I think Hot Toys would try to avoid magnets whenever they can since they cost more. And it’d take strong magnets for those arms to stay on and articulate without falling of constantly. Plus with their cheap glue, I imagine the magnets getting pulled off all the time haha.

I think pegs would be more likely. Slot the arms in. No extra material cost.

We’ll see what they do.

Pegs would be fine if the body is sculpted. It’s not. It’s fabric. Think vision or Superman or Batman. Pegs really doesn’t work.

Magnets alone would be way too flimsy to hold the legs securely. How would you rotate them without them sliding around everywhere? Pegs seem more logical, even in a fabric suit. And consequently, its probably not intended to be depicted without the legs.

We have not seen how these legs form. But when they aren't out, theres nothing there on his back. So its either Nano-tech, like Stark is using or its a whole separate part that flies on and attaches to him. In which case to have both depictions would require 2 separate figures. I don't see how else they can do it :dunno

And that’s why yellow jacket was an issue.

Magnets would seem to be an issue. But pegs present as many problems. Think people have suit issues with previous figures..cutting four holes into the back and having pieces you remove and replace is really gonna cause issues. It’s possible it’s only gonna be designed to be displayed with the arms. Whatever way they go it’s gonna piss people off and we will hear complaining for days. And it’s gonna be a logistical knight mare.

Honestly. I’d definitely pose him without the arms. I hated them in the comics and hate them now.

Back