Hot Toys ED-209 Official Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing takes up space. It's pretty much a set and forget affair. I couldn't make head or tail of the instructions, and in my enthusiasm may have inadvertently put the legs on the wrong side. Which is probably why mine doesn't balance so well. I can't get the legs off now, to try reversing the situation. I compensated by swinging the entire body round 180 degrees. So double check before you decide to whack them on. Then again, I may have put them on correctly, and the thing just doesn't happen to balance all that well anyway.

It was a nice review but I was really hoping you would be writing one up too, Michael. Any chance of that now?

I didn't buy one, so the odds are about the same as me winning the lottery this week (I didn't buy a lottery ticket either). ;)

Damn it, damn it, damn it... I try not to spend money, but then I come online and see a great review and have to re-think everything! This is what got me to cave and get the Robo in the first place.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty broke at the minute... but I have a feeling I'll be scraping together funds before to long to tackle this badass figure :monkey2

Got my ED today and man is this thing impressive looking! Easily stands out in the crowd of 1:6 figures. The box is easily the most attractive of any 1:6 figure to date and even the styrofoam packing looks cool. From the moment I opened the packing I inhaled a good wiff of those airbrushed paint fumes... ahhhhh.... so fresh and so clean-clean! The paint aps are beautiful with weathering. Seeing ED realized in this scale is unbelievable. I still have my old Kenner ED-260 with firing caps in the box packed away somewhere in my attic but his time is past. One of the first things I noticed that I did not expect was that the "dome" pattern mesh on top is actually made of a rubbery material. I figured this was going to be hard molded plastic. Unfortunately the non-functional leg extenders and the lack of tripedal toe articulation really hurt this figure. I'm sure this would have been a mass-production engineering nightmare for HT so they went for aesthetic with non-functionality but it pretty much makes this a stand-up display figure only. I like to "play" and position my figures in different poses so this is just kind of blah. He just stands there and looks cool. Yes, the torso turns and the sideguns pivot and the ball-socket legs are positionable but this figure screams for more articulation. Also the metallic pins in the sidegun flaps are not concealed. I'm not sure if he was really worth the $200 pricepoint. I think the standard $130 would have been more reasonable but considering this is a licensed figure and the detail that went into developing this figure from scratch and it's easy to see why it cost so much. Standing him next to Robo is priceless. It's too bad the HT Robo didn't include a Cobra Assault Rifle accessory. State of the art bang-bang!:pow What would be nearly as cool is if HT develops a Ford Taurus Police Cruiser in 1:6 scale that can seat Robo. Imagine that! You could recreate the scene where Robo pulls up to the OCP entrance guarded by ED. Here's hoping HT continues to amaze us with more unbelievable figures under the Robo license including a Cain from Robo 2 and an officer Alex Murphy.

Boy, great review there Dave, seriously, thanks! :D

For me, just to have this thing as a film accurate sixth scale prop works for me, the fact that it moves AT ALL is a bonus IMHO...

Now, I am assuming a battle Damaged Robo 1 will be next with removeable helmet... anyway that's my guess.

pjam said:
...For me, just to have this thing as a film accurate sixth scale prop works for me, the fact that it moves AT ALL is a bonus IMHO...

Now, I am assuming a battle Damaged Robo 1 will be next with removeable helmet... anyway that's my guess.

Agreed pjam, can't wait to have this ED-209 in hand! And I would LOVE to have a battle-damaged Robo a-la final fight sequece with Clarence...I'd put the 'spike glove' on that figure for sure! :D

Just received mine. Everything great except the stinky rubber stuff on the top. I was expecting molded plastic or screening. Agree above with the price issue, 130 makes more sense then 200, but, being a must have for me, I shelled out the dough.

BD6

got mine yesterday. looks great but i'm not putting him together until i get Robo (holding out for the jetpack version) and even then i may sell ED, as i'm disappointed in the lack of moving toes. don't mind the non-working leg extenders as that would screw w/ his center of balance like crazy, but my fave scene w/ ED is when he's feeling around for the steps w/ his toes before falling on his turtle back and squealing like a pig.

Awesome review and impressive picks, thanks dave. Chenelle aka Hylton Mayne rocks! :rock2

Just wanted to add those poses are amazing too!

And a big shout out to INDY! Hey bro!

Last edited:
pjam said:
Awesome review and impressive picks, thanks dave. Chenelle aka Hylton Mayne rocks! :rock2

Just wanted to add those poses are amazing too!

And a big shout out to INDY! Hey bro!

Hey pjam, what's shakin'? I find I don't get to post on the boards quite as much these days since I'm so busy at work...But I always post when I can! Can't wait for my ED! Already have some plans for some slight customization...I'll post some pics when I get him and modify him...probably in January...

Don't forget to be on the lookout for Lonnie's replacement heads for Hudson, Drake and possibly Ripley (although I'm OK with the Ripley sculpt, as long as it's painted well...)...We gotta do up another group order for those heads in the new year!

Indiana Fett said:
Hey pjam, what's shakin'? I find I don't get to post on the boards quite as much these days since I'm so busy at work...But I always post when I can! Can't wait for my ED! Already have some plans for some slight customization...I'll post some pics when I get him and modify him...probably in January...

Don't forget to be on the lookout for Lonnie's replacement heads for Hudson, Drake and possibly Ripley (although I'm OK with the Ripley sculpt, as long as it's painted well...)...We gotta do up another group order for those heads in the new year!

You're ON INDY! :D

I'll prolly just do Hudson though, I have no problem with Drake and Ripley will get a repaint, I already have her bomber jacket waiting for her. :D

Back