1/6 Hot Toys Batman Forever Batman (sonar suit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It added nothing that would?ve improved it beyond its mediocre existence

I just watched it in anticipation and hype for the figures after not having seen it in a long time. I like it. Yeah, definitely not the best Batman flick but it's still enjoyable. I'd watch it a million times over TDKR, BvS and Justice League.

I believe I've said this before, and I'll stand by it, this has the BEST opening to a Batman movie. Period. Yes, even over the "I'm Batman" scene in '89 and the bank robbery in TDK.

It gets straight to the point. No ****ing weird prologues like TDKR or the Cobblepot's trying to murder their first born and no ****ing Thomas and Martha Wayne murder. It goes right to the heart of what Batman is all about. There's a crime in progress (ironically a bank heist), Batman suits up, gears up, jumps into the Batmobile and the audience is off. People keep asking for that "Schumacher cut" and while it would be cool to see, the original opening kinda sucks. Arkham Asylum, Two-Face escaping, the Wayne Enterprises stuff with Nygma and Bruce (that comes later in the film anyway), screw all that. It's the same problem I have with Batman Returns. That movie doesn't really begin for me until 15 mins when Gordon is like "what are you waiting for, the signal" and it shows Bruce Wayne in his study. We gotta go through so much BS like Christopher Walken talking about his power plant, people christmas shopping, etc. and Batman Forever just cuts past all that BS and goes right to what we all want to see.

The reason to get these figures is like what Khev says, it takes you back to 1995. The film kinda sucks now, yeah, but I didn't think that then. The 90s were fun. I wasn't a film snob when Batman Forever came out. I loved the Burton films and I loved the animated series. Batman Forever to me was more Batman. It was hyped up, it was fun. I saw it and loved it. It was a good time. Got the Kenner toys, McDonalds glasses, listened to the soundtrack on repeat. I was a kid and these figures remind of simpler times. I mean hell, I can't even go to a theater now a days because the theaters are shut down and nothing good is playing anymore. Batman Forever was an awesome time. I loved those color specific character posters. I remember before the movie came out, walking through the theater halls and seeing the blue signal Batman poster, then green signal for Riddler, red signal for Two-Face, yellow for Robin all lined up on the walls. Everything about it felt new. You got new suits, new toys, new vehicles and finally get to see a live action Robin. As a kid, it just didn't get better than that. I didn't get that feeling of superhero hype again until the Spider-Man films and Nolan Batman films.

That's what Sonar Batman is to me. I remember the Sonar suit was the first image I ever saw of Kilmer Batman and Forever in general. It looked so weird and different to me. He almost looked like an alien or 1950s robot and you couldn't make out his eyes or face due to the sonar eyes because they were all bug like. The green and red lights on him made it look like a creepy mechanical insect. It was just all so fascinating to me. It was different, it was cool. I can't think of a better collectible to represent or "souvenir" that moment in time than this Hot Toys figure. This figure IS that picture I saw in 1994/1995 in a Starlog Magazine. It's awesome.

forever.jpg

Though I agree with you that BF's Opening Sequence is what Batman should always be -- like Bond or Indy -- start with his job, his mission.

That said, there are some cringe moments in the opening -- "boiling acid" and the way that line is delivered. And why does it have to be boiling? Some really cheesy lines from Two-Face. Poor fight choreography by the elevator. Ridiculous how he puts the vault back -- complete with reversing the film -- and not a drop of that boiling acid sloshes around onto the guard. It goes on and on, like the rest of the film.

I just watched it in anticipation and hype for the figures after not having seen it in a long time. I like it. Yeah, definitely not the best Batman flick but it's still enjoyable. I'd watch it a million times over TDKR, BvS and Justice League.

I believe I've said this before, and I'll stand by it, this has the BEST opening to a Batman movie. Period. Yes, even over the "I'm Batman" scene in '89 and the bank robbery in TDK.

It gets straight to the point. No ****ing weird prologues like TDKR or the Cobblepot's trying to murder their first born and no ****ing Thomas and Martha Wayne murder. It goes right to the heart of what Batman is all about. There's a crime in progress (ironically a bank heist), Batman suits up, gears up, jumps into the Batmobile and the audience is off. People keep asking for that "Schumacher cut" and while it would be cool to see, the original opening kinda sucks. Arkham Asylum, Two-Face escaping, the Wayne Enterprises stuff with Nygma and Bruce (that comes later in the film anyway), screw all that. It's the same problem I have with Batman Returns. That movie doesn't really begin for me until 15 mins when Gordon is like "what are you waiting for, the signal" and it shows Bruce Wayne in his study. We gotta go through so much BS like Christopher Walken talking about his power plant, people christmas shopping, etc. and Batman Forever just cuts past all that BS and goes right to what we all want to see.

The reason to get these figures is like what Khev says, it takes you back to 1995. The film kinda sucks now, yeah, but I didn't think that then. The 90s were fun. I wasn't a film snob when Batman Forever came out. I loved the Burton films and I loved the animated series. Batman Forever to me was more Batman. It was hyped up, it was fun. I saw it and loved it. It was a good time. Got the Kenner toys, McDonalds glasses, listened to the soundtrack on repeat. I was a kid and these figures remind of simpler times. I mean hell, I can't even go to a theater now a days because the theaters are shut down and nothing good is playing anymore. Batman Forever was an awesome time. I loved those color specific character posters. I remember before the movie came out, walking through the theater halls and seeing the blue signal Batman poster, then green signal for Riddler, red signal for Two-Face, yellow for Robin all lined up on the walls. Everything about it felt new. You got new suits, new toys, new vehicles and finally get to see a live action Robin. As a kid, it just didn't get better than that. I didn't get that feeling of superhero hype again until the Spider-Man films and Nolan Batman films.

That's what Sonar Batman is to me. I remember the Sonar suit was the first image I ever saw of Kilmer Batman and Forever in general. It looked so weird and different to me. He almost looked like an alien or 1950s robot and you couldn't make out his eyes or face due to the sonar eyes because they were all bug like. It was just all so fascinating to me. It was different, it was cool. I can't think of a better collectible to represent or "souvenir" that moment in time than this Hot Toys figure. This figure IS that picture I saw in 1994/1995 in a Starlog Magazine. It's awesome.
That was VERY well said. It's defientley a product of its time and takes you back to when blockbusters were cultural events, like others have said before, and when blockbuster films just felt more special.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

What's great about the batman franchises is that there's something for everyone. If you want light and fun you watch the schumacher films. If you want dark and serious you watch the Nolan films and the button films. Not many comic book characters have such a versatile collection of films that you can say that.

There are no more blockbuster films. Just stream-busters now.
Yes they aren't special anymore cuz we get one every few months. They come and go it's exciting for a week then everyone already talking about the next one. Rinse and repeat.

What's great about the batman franchises is that there's something for everyone. If you want light and fun you watch the schumacher films. If you want dark and serious you watch the Nolan films and the button films. Not many comic book characters have such a versatile collection of films that you can say that.

This is very true.

And while I put BF down, I will say it is the busiest Batman film... wastes no time and they do cover a lot of ground; it never really gets boring like the '89 Bats does.

Though I agree with you that BF's Opening Sequence is what Batman should always be -- like Bond or Indy -- start with his job, his mission.

That said, there are some cringe moments in the opening -- "boiling acid" and the way that line is delivered. And why does it have to be boiling? Some really cheesy lines from Two-Face. Poor fight choreography by the elevator. Ridiculous how he puts the vault back -- complete with reversing the film -- and not a drop of that boiling acid sloshes around onto the guard. It goes on and on, like the rest of the film.

This is very true.

And while I put BF down, I will say it is the busiest Batman film... wastes no time and they do cover a lot of ground; it never really gets boring like the '89 Bats does.

Of course there are cringe moments.

I equate Batman Forever to the equivalence of a kid playing with their toys. You know like, when you're young and you got your action figures and vehicles and you're doing all sorts of insane **** with them like . . . driving the Batmobile up a wall. Or EVERYTHING is a rope and pully cable system. I don't know about you but my "Star Wars" and "Batman" adventures were chock full of cringe I'm sure. It's like those old Kenner Star Wars commercials like with that kid saying "WAMPA WAMPA WAMPA" as he beats the other kid's tauntaun and Luke to death. :lol

I like those fight scenes that you say suck. They're better choreographed than the Burton and Nolan ones. It's funny you mention Bond and Indiana Jones because, to me, Batman Forever is the first time Batman appears as an action star. I love the Burton films, but Batman just stands there in the shadows. He's in action scenes, sure, but Batman Forever is the first time we see Batman as an ACTION HERO. First 10 mins he's fighting off a handful of thugs, escaping traps and flying around, dangling from a chain attached to a helicopter.

And yeah, Batman 89' is a snooze fest compared to Forever. Forever is like Batman on cocaine. Burton's Batman is about the atmosphere and the art and the image, Forever the exact opposite. It's flashy, it's candy. You almost don't even need to take acid, mushrooms or an edible before seeing Forever before feeling like Riddler and Two-Face taking hits off the mind control device.

That's what Sonar Batman is to me. I remember the Sonar suit was the first image I ever saw of Kilmer Batman and Forever in general. It looked so weird and different to me. He almost looked like an alien or 1950s robot and you couldn't make out his eyes or face due to the sonar eyes because they were all bug like. The green and red lights on him made it look like a creepy mechanical insect. It was just all so fascinating to me. It was different, it was cool. I can't think of a better collectible to represent or "souvenir" that moment in time than this Hot Toys figure. This figure IS that picture I saw in 1994/1995 in a Starlog Magazine. It's awesome.

View attachment 505389

I've had that pic as my phone lock screen since it was announced. And I watched Forever today with Joel's commentary on, he literally says the opening is all about big popcorn fun.

LOVE IT.

And waking up two days ago to see this? One of the highlights of my collecting career.
Screenshot_20210202-072626_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
I've had that pic as my phone lock screen since it was announced. And I watched Forever today with Joel's commentary on, he literally says the opening is all about big popcorn fun.

LOVE IT.

And waking up two days ago to see this? One of the highlights of my collecting career.
View attachment 505401

I'm disgusted by Avengergram's post.

He's every 'fan' that posts on HT's posts. They get dumped on constantly, but every once in a while, they can give us gems like these.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! I was just mulling over if I should sell off my Batman 1/6 collection. I have already sold off some statues & figures, models etc. But this really has me stuck. I would have to get Batman & Robin! Anyone else reeling?I am really torn on this.

Anyway, I know you know that my critiques are against the movie, not people's experiences from it.

Of course!

Look, I don't love Batman Forever. I'm just saying, I can watch it without my eyeballs and face melting off. It's not good but it doesn't offend me. I get what they were going for. Even the homoeroticism doesn't bug me because, as a kid, I didn't even see or understand that stuff.

Same **** with the Star Wars prequels. Back in the day, I ripped the ever living **** out of them but now, I see them for what they are. A moment in time. Times I enjoyed. I think it was you in one of the Hot Toys threads. You were like hyping up Queen Amidala or something and how that red Naboo costume with the light bulbs and kabuki make up is representative of the Phantom Menace. You sold me on a figure of it in some form! It's weird but it's cool and like Maul or Sonar Suit Batman or Commander Cody or Arnold Freeze, it captures something unique from a "bad movie". Those experiences we had of going to movies or going to toy stores and seeing pegs filled with colorful toys are pretty much a thing of the past.

That's what this hobby is all about. It's the only thing that keeps me coming back and hooked. I want collectibles that are representative of the things I experienced as a kid, even if it's "bad". Star Wars could have technically been a "bad film", but I'll always cherish that memory I have of seeing it for the first time with Luke, Han, Leia Chewbacca running around the Death Star from Stormtroopers. Forever is the same thing. Little things like Batman dangling from the Helicopter, flying through that billboard or him being engulfed in the fire, then walking out of it like a bat out of hell are things I distinctly remember when I was younger.

And like with the Robin figure. He ****ing sucks in the movie. No sooner does he appear, he's kidnapped and captured and needs to be rescued by Batman. He sucks. Compacted with the fact that all people can see with this figure is Robin's ****, it's kind of a joke. I've looked past it though. When I see the figure, I'm reminded of that 95" aura. That metallic red and green and the cool gold/back cape. That awesome character poster where he's throwing a right to the camera in a fit of rage. Wondering "how does his mask stay on his face" and watching a behind the scenes interview with Chris O'Donnell where he's describing how they glue it onto his face. It's cool.

I haven't been passionate about anything Hot Toys for a long time now. When was the last time I really posted like this? These figures have completely reinvigorated my interest in action figures and 1/6. While it might not be EXACTLY what I wanted, this is right up my alley. Hot Toys, to me, was always interesting when they were pulling out oldies, the cult classics. Seeing Batman and Robin in front of that batsignal beats the HELL out of another video game Spider-Man or a Disney Star Wars trooper. It's exciting to me. Harkens back to the days where they took chances on your Don Corleone's or your Srgt. Elias or your Burt Ward Robin. This is fun, which leads me to this,

I'm disgusted by Avengergram's post.

Why NOT make Batman and Robin?

Okoye? Cyborg? Valkyrie?

Picture those as action figures. Movies aside, do those three look as interesting or as toyetic as a ****ing techy futuristic looking Batman and Robin all decked out in metallic hues that would make Robocop blush. I think not.

It's a long shot and a pipe dream, but I hope they do some villains. I want my Catwoman, Penguin, Romero Joker, Riddler and Two-Face. Yeah, "Hot Toys doesn't do villains", but I never thought we'd see a Kilmer Batman and Robin so, it's definitely a possibility. I'll take all those over Iron Man, Spider-Man, ____ Trooper, etc.

I haven't been passionate about anything Hot Toys for a long time now. When was the last time I really posted like this? These figures have completely reinvigorated my interest in action figures and 1/6.

Its good to have you back. This DC section has been long too quiet without your enthusiasm.

:duff

These figures have reinvigorated my lust for Batman Villains from the 90's... Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face, Freeze and Ivy. The vivid colors alone would put most of my other shelves to shame. I remember how vibrant and colorful my Batman Villains resin/vinyl kits were back in the 90's. Riddler's coral and lime... Two-Face's yellow and fuchsia... crazy.

Ok DiFabio...

#1. I agree about the BF opening no foreplay straight into the out hole!

#2. I agree that BF > TDKR lol

#3. How could you not have been hyped for at least some of those MCU movies!

Riddler's coral and lime... Two-Face's yellow and fuchsia... crazy.

Now imagine 1/6 Hot Toys figures . . .

Two-Face's tailored suit would be a miniature work of art with all those different patterns.

Back