Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was the same way with Pirates as Khev. There are a few others that I completely disagree with critics on (I thought Mystic River was poo but the critics just drooled all over that one). But most of the time, if the vast majority of critics hate something, I don't find myself enjoying it. Conversely, if everyone loves something, I usually find myself enjoying it as well.

We'll see. I haven't seen anything in the trailer that makes me feel its gonna be that at all. Professional movie reviewers thoughts on movies have virtually no impact on what I think or expect from a movie. I would disagree with you on POTC 4. The movie was average. Blackbeard sucked bad. Jack was Jack but that movie was not up to snuff for me.

See Josh now most critics are in agreement with you about POTC: OST. Doesn't bode well for GL now does it? ;)

But most of the time, if the vast majority of critics hate something, I don't find myself enjoying it. Conversely, if everyone loves something, I usually find myself enjoying it as well.

Agreed. And for whatever reason the critics seem to be particularly right on with genre movies for the most part. Its extremely rare that I enjoy a fantasy/adventure/comic book movie that scored as low as On Stranger Tides.

I'm no GL fan per se and I think Reynolds is a tool but the trailers were starting to fascinate me. I'm bummed that it sounds like it isn't worth the time and effort to see it on the big screen.

See Josh now most critics are in agreement with you about POTC: OST. Doesn't bode well for GL now does it? ;)

Thing is I don't care if they agree with me. I said the same thing with that movie that I didn't care what they said that I would make my own mind up. Thats the great thing about being a free thinker I don't let others do my thinking for me. :)

Sure they get good reviews as well. Just that there are more than plenty of crappy reviews. For the record I like all three of those low budget drek as you call them. They're not great but I do enjoy them.

I don't know. I'm not in those guys/gals heads and don't care to be. Ang Lee's Hulk was freaking terrible and I nearly walked out. That is one of the worst comic book movies I've ever seen. I don't recall the reviews on it to be honest.

I agree with Josh

I have no shame sitting down and enjoying Daredevil DC, Ghost Rider, Punisher (both I like a-lot) just as much as I enjoy TDK, IM and all the other greats.

That being said Josh, believe it or not, Ang's Hulk is building this kind of cult classic, it's known for being liked by the artsy fartsy reviewers.

Me personally, I liked the Hulk battles with the tank and choppers, but that's it :lol

Thing is I don't care if they agree with me. I said the same thing with that movie that I didn't care what they said that I would make my own mind up. Thats the great thing about being a free thinker I don't let others do my thinking for me. :)

Oh stop with the "free thinker" nonsense. Most good movies get good reviews. Most bad movies get bad reviews. Do the math. :)

More important than whether a movie gets the "fresh/rotten" is the reasoning behind it. I'm not saying this is a good movie but fans of the character go in with a different set of expectations than the average joe. And film critics like to jump on the negativity bandwagon just as much as the come-latelys ion this board. Particularly online "journalists" trying to seem relevant.

It's also always interesting to see who jumps into a thread when there's blood in the water. Just sayin'. :wave

Oh stop with the "free thinker" nonsense. Most good movies get good reviews. Most bad movies get bad reviews. Do the math. :)

Nah,

I mean, I get your points, seem valid enough.

But a free thinker is just that.

It's someone who doesn't care if Daredevil or Punisher WZ is hated because it's the "popular" consensus to hate on it.

The free thinker means that they will like and attach themselves to something for personal reasons regardless that it's not cool to like it or because it's an officially "panned or hated" movie.

If somone loved Norbit for whatever reason, I don't think they are wrong just because it's 2% on RT :lol

I'll tell ya man, if I'm in a conversation with some one about good super hero flicks and they say they enjoyed Ghost Rider,Daredevil and Ang Lee's Hulk then recommend
the new Green Lantern movie, I'd dismiss them out of hand and wait for cable.
(All the while trying to find a reason to excuse myself from the conversation)

I agree with Josh

I have no shame sitting down and enjoying Daredevil DC, Ghost Rider, Punisher (both I like a-lot) just as much as I enjoy TDK, IM and all the other greats.

That being said Josh, believe it or not, Ang's Hulk is building this kind of cult classic, it's known for being liked by the artsy fartsy reviewers.

Me personally, I liked the Hulk battles with the tank and choppers, but that's it :lol

Great they can have it. :lol

Those moments were decent I'd agree.

I just did a little more free thinking and I did the math. I don't give a firetruck what their reviews say. I'll base my thoughts and feelings on it based on myself.

Nah,

I mean, I get your points, seem valid enough.

But a free thinker is just that.

It's someone who doesn't care if Daredevil or Punisher WZ is hated because it's the "popular" consensus to hate on it.

The free thinker means that they will like and attach themselves to something for personal reasons regardless that it's not cool to like it or because it's an officially "panned or hated" movie.

If somone loved Norbit for whatever reason, I don't think they are wrong just because it's 2% on RT :lol

Pretty much. :goodpost:

Its like when I share a review of something I get. If people agree thats great but I don't expect others to feel the way I do just because I said something good or bad about something.

I'll tell ya man, if I'm in a conversation with some one about good super hero flicks and they say they enjoyed Ghost Rider,Daredevil and Ang Lee's Hulk then recommend
the new Green Lantern movie, I'd dismiss them out of hand and wait for cable.
(All the while trying to find a reason to excuse myself from the conversation)

So you won't be playing xbox with me and Kain then I suppose? We both like Ghost Rider and Daredevil. Good to know.

Here is the thing, I absolutely loved Watchmen. A lot of people including critics hated it. It was shunned globally. I still love it. For me it was perfectly moved from page to screen save the third act although I understand the rationale behind it. If this film for me as a GL fan meets might expectations then I'll love it and watch it repeatedly. I'll say this though, depending on how it works out you might see a huge shake-up in a sequel. Reynolds will stay as people are being positive about him but Lively is getting panned hard and if they moved with the Star Sapphire sequel idea, then you might she her replaced for someone more seasoned.

I'm not saying this is a good movie but fans of the character go in with a different set of expectations than the average joe.

Very true. And often times a fan can get at least one good viewing in before "reality" sets in. I actually enjoyed Spider-Man 3 when I saw it in the theater. I watched it again years later on FX and thought it was terrible. :lol

So you won't be playing xbox with me and Kain then I suppose? We both like Ghost Rider and Daredevil. Good to know.

:lol
Depends.
Do you plan on rambling on and on about the merits of said movies?
Thats why Bill Gates made the mute button.

Here is the thing, I absolutely loved Watchmen. A lot of people including critics hated it. It was shunned globally. I still love it. For me it was perfectly moved from page to screen save the third act although I understand the rationale behind it. If this film for me as a GL fan meets might expectations then I'll love it and watch it repeatedly.

Just curious, Mike. Obviously you're a huge GL fan and have been looking forward to this film for quite awhile. You already know a lot of the points they will hit, after seeing the completed movie do you think there is anything at this stage that will make you say 'ok, this film is not very good'?

We won't get it until mid-August :gah:

simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg

You knew that was coming. :wave

Depends.
Do you plan on rambling on and on about the merits of said movies?
Thats why Bill Gates made the mute button.

No, if it comes up as to why we like it I'd talk about it.

I don't think we need to get into "I'm taking my X-Box and going home" territory guys. :lol We all probably love a handful of movies that most others hate.

Didn't say that. Was just being a smart ass.

No, if it comes up as to why we like it I'd talk about it.

Didn't say that. Was just being a smart ass.

Well, now I know not to ask in the future.:nana:

Josh and I luv to push each others buttons but I'd be hard pressed to find a better Gears teammate or Halo squadmate for that matter.
:1-1:

Back