Green Lantern: The Motion Picture

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually studios that supply the trailers will dictate which films they should be on. If the theater wants to play the film when it comes out, they'll put the trailers where requested. Studios will send out people to check too.

Usually studios that supply the trailers will dictate which films they should be on. If the theater wants to play the film when it comes out, they'll put the trailers where requested. Studios will send out people to check too.

It depended quite a bit on the studio though, I managed a theater which was a major chain theater in Alaska for 3 years and other than the big releases, most studios didn't tell us what to put on the trailer pack. We'd get the trailer pack in with the film containers, a list of what the trailer packs contained and unless it was specifically stated what trailers had to be attached, we had leeway on what to put where as long as the ratings matched up.

We of course had "secret" theater checkers but being in Alaska, everyone knew who everyone was so it wasn't so secret.

Now this was almost 10 years ago, so I'm sure some stuff has changed especially with switch to digital, but I remember the good ole days of actual film building and the night before 2am previews, was fun stuff.

Evan

No. They are completely CGI characters so it would be no different than an animated feature which are drawn and finalized sometimes years in advance before an actor is cast and records. It's just different because this is live action and a lot of the GL film feels like it is being done down to the wire. The articles though are further detailing that Rush was already cast and recorded basic tracks but as he is recording the finalized pieces that now they reveal.

Kilowog the other major CGI character for example hasn't been announced despite being preliminarily casted. Rumors are its Michael Clarke Duncan.

Here is a bit about the lack of marketing:

Good article. Thanks for sharing. And this 100% echoes what I've said:

It’s encouraging that, after that first trailer (which you can watch again below), Warners decided to hold back until everything was ready. The question then becomes is it too late? The film is only a few months away and the awareness is way lower than its competition.

This film is now fighting a big uphill battle and WB has only themselves to blame.

I think this film will easily beat the other cbms this summer, it has a lot going for it. Not too concerned cause I know when the marketing finally hits, it'll be strong.

I think this film will easily beat the other cbms this summer, it has a lot going for it. Not too concerned cause I know when the marketing finally hits, it'll be strong.

There's really no evidence for that though, is there? The buzz on Captain America is very positive and ubiquitous and at least the awareness for Thor is very high.

I'm a much, much bigger DC fan than Marvel, I actually like Ryan Reynolds - but I'm more excited for Thor AND Cap than GL at this point.

There's really no evidence for that though, is there? The buzz on Captain America is very positive and ubiquitous and at least the awareness for Thor is very high.

I'm a much, much bigger DC fan than Marvel, I actually like Ryan Reynolds - but I'm more excited for Thor AND Cap than GL at this point.

I'm in the same boat, I'm a much bigger fan of DC, I don't read Marvel at all but at this point with all the advertising of Captain America, Thor and X-Men, I feel DC is faced with an uphill battle with GL. It's kinda depressing.

Only Martin Campbell > Joe Johnston at this point in their directorial careers.

Well, this film has some advantages over Cap and Thor to the general public. Ryan Reynolds is easily more famous and more box office draw than Evans and Hemsworth combined. Green Lantern also has pretty universal appeal, opposed to Captain America. Not sure how kids are perceiving the films, but I can see a bunch of annoying ass kids loving Ryan Reynolds and GL with all the stuff his ring can do. GL was also filmed using 3D cameras and is shot to be in 3D/Imax, not being converted like the other two. Blake Lively is more famous than whats-her-face from Captain America.

For the record, i'm looking forward to all movies pretty equally. Based on what i've seen I think Thor will be the best.

I wouldn't count this movie out just yet, i'm pretty sure the marketing will be HUGE and by May people will be psyched for GL.

There's really no evidence for that though, is there? The buzz on Captain America is very positive and ubiquitous and at least the awareness for Thor is very high. I'm a much, much bigger DC fan than Marvel, I actually like Ryan Reynolds - but I'm more excited for Thor AND Cap than GL at this point.

Well to be fair we've heard a ton of positive things about GL from those involved so there is that too. The thing is that Marvel is marketing the hell out of those two because they have to, they need them to work so they help boost The Avengers which is the overarching goal.

WB hasn't done a thing but if their marketing team is on it and really blitzes the hell out of audiences in the next couple of months there won't be much. Remember we ARE NOT the target audience. Kids and Teens with disposable incomes are. If they can showcase enough to get them interested that'll do the trick, if they can bring us in there it's cake but really they want little Timmy who will bug mom to see it four or five times somewhat more than us who will see it once maybe twice and then wait for DVD.

It's not too late but what it IS is too late for a mistake. Marvel's first Thor trailer for example was meh. It was panned and regarded as meh. They had time to do another and now the film looks great. GL won't have that luxury is all they have to come out swinging and give something that people will watch on YouTube over and over until opening night.

Well to be fair we've heard a ton of positive things about GL from those involved so there is that too. The thing is that Marvel is marketing the hell out of those two because they have to, they need them to work so they help boost The Avengers which is the overarching goal.

WB hasn't done a thing but if their marketing team is on it and really blitzes the hell out of audiences in the next couple of months there won't be much. Remember we ARE NOT the target audience. Kids and Teens with disposable incomes are. If they can showcase enough to get them interested that'll do the trick, if they can bring us in there it's cake but really they want little Timmy who will bug mom to see it four or five times somewhat more than us who will see it once maybe twice and then wait for DVD.

It's not too late but what it IS is too late for a mistake. Marvel's first Thor trailer for example was meh. It was panned and regarded as meh. They had time to do another and now the film looks great. GL won't have that luxury is all they have to come out swinging and give something that people will watch on YouTube over and over until opening night.

I hope so, this summer is filled with blockbuster type movies and I'd love for GL to come out on top or close to it, it hopefully would mean more DC movies.

Evan

A severe lack of marketing sure has gotten us to discuss this movie a whole lot more. Mission accomplished?

Well to be fair we've heard a ton of positive things about GL from those involved so there is that too..

When is the last time that those involved with any movie have ever said negative things to the press?

The Twitter reactions from WonderCon seem to be very positive. A lot of people using the term "Space Opera" so the WB/DC reps must have used that buzz word. I'm anxious to see what the bloggers in attendance had to say.

Some WonderCon bullet points from Slash Film

At Warner Bos’ Green Lantern panel, they again screened the 10 minutes of footage from CnemaCon. We’ve already talked about this footage (see previous blog posting). I’ve heard that four mutes of the footage will officially go online this weekend. They also premiered two new character posters from the film, one of Green Lantern, the other of Carol Ferris. You can see the Green Lantern one above.

Since I’ve already seen the footage, I thought I’d cover some of the questions and answered asked during the panel:

-They again confirmed that a new Green Lantern trailer will be attached to Thor.
-Blake Lively made the decision to dye her hair rrown for the role of Carol Ferris to be true to the comics.
-Ryan Reynolds spent six months training for the film. He says that its much harder for a 6’2” man to do gymnastics than you might think.
-Reynolds says he’s read a bunch of the comic books and that “he would be an _______” if he hadn’t.
-Reynolds was asked to recite the Oath, just like he was at ComicCon. But this time he did it with the audience doing so as well, in_unison.
-When asked about going from playing a Ccmic book villain to superhero, Reynolds responded: “Look, Deadpool is not a villain, he’s an _______.”
-Lively stressed that Geoff Johns was on set for most of the shoot making sure they got it right.
-Reynolds compared Hal Jordan to Han Solo saying he “can get the girl, tell a joke and throw a punch.”
-Reynolds said there are “so many unknowns” about a possibly Deadpool movie, and admitted they did a lot of things wrong in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but if they get the chance to make a feature they will do it right, “which means hard R.”
-Reynolds stressed that Jordan can throw a joke here and there, dry one liners, but he didn’t improvise much because he wanted to keep it true to the comic book character.
-Reynolds says he was planning to come to the stage and reveal he is going to play The Flash because it’s April Fools Day, but decided better of doing so. He says Deadpool and Green Lantern will probably be the only two superheros he plays.
-In the film, there is a moment when Tomar-re explains to Hal in the film that his suit is made of energy.
-Reynolds says he has not yet been approached to be in the Justice League movie. Geoff Johns would only confirm that the superhero team-up movie is in active development.
-Atrocitus won’t appear in this film.
-Reynolds said that Bradley Cooper would be his choice to play The Flash.
-Lively shot Green Lantern in his Gossip Girl break. She shot her last scene on Gossip at 1am in New York City and was on set _for Green Lantern in New Orleans later that morning.

Last edited:
Hollywood Reporter's thoughts on the footage

Warner Bros. and Green Lantern filmmakers knew they had to deliver the goods Friday at San Francisco's WonderCon comic and pop culture show -- and they did just that.
The summer DC Comics-based tentpole, which some peg as having a budget of more than $250 million, is being positioned not just as the launch of a franchise but as the foundation for a line of movies based on DC Comicscharacters.
Warners screened unfinished footage from the Ryan Reynolds-starrer at last year's Comic-Con and later released a trailer that did not wow fans. But the buzz-making effort has been largely silent ever since, prompting questions from industry insiders and geeks alike.
Warners' motion picture group president Jeff Robinov recently said the marketing has been behind schedule due to challenges in finishing the 3D film._
The studio knew it needed a strong one-two punch of presentations at last week's CinemaCon exhibitors convention in Las Vegas and at this weekend's WonderCon, which is growing as a venue in which to showcase blockbusters before the all-important summer season.
With Thursday's CinemaCon blitz behind it, the pressure was on the studio for Friday's much-anticipated panel in the ballroom of the Moscone Convention Center, which was at capacity and had hundreds of people still snaking out of the building.
Reynolds and co-star Blake Lively, as well as DC chief creative officer Geoff Johns, spoke from the stage. While Reynolds' wit is always a sure seller, everyone knew the success of the panel was going to come down to the footage. After months of silence, would it wow?
The simple answer: yes.
The roughly nine minutes shown displayed top-notch special effects and clearly laid out the kind of movie Green Lantern hopes to be: epic and action-packed, packed with worlds and aliens you've never seen before. And with Reynolds' charm as an added bonus.
The footage (warning: mild spoilers) opened with an action sequence in which Green Lantern Abin Sur, in a space ship, falls under attack. Then it jumped to a scene in which the mortally wounded Sur transfers his power ring to Hal Jordan (Reynolds). Then Jordan reciting the Green Lantern oath; Jordan flying through space to the planetOa, where he meets the alien Tomar Re; an assembly of Green Lanterns from all over the universe; finally, a montage of both Earth-bound scenes and villains and more space action.
The actors made it clear, as they usually do at these geek gatherings, that they were serving the fanboy faithful and staying true to the source material. Lively said she knew she had to change her blonde locks to her character's brown when a security member from her TV show Gossip Girl revealed himself to be a closet fanboy and peppered her about the character and its history.
Having brown hair, she decided, was "a matter of national security," she said.
When Reynolds was asked if he read the Green Lantern comic, he responded, "I'd be an _______ if I said I didn't."
There was plenty of chemistry between the two actors, although much of the attention was on Reynolds, who was called Mr. Hottie by one guest and asked to show his six-pack abs by another.
When one attendee commented on how the public is being bombarded by many comic book and super hero movies, Reynolds elicted one of many laughs when he said, "Are you saying this crowd is hating superhero movies? Are theyholding out for Black Swan 2?"
Reynolds also touched upon the amount of visual effects the movie will have, which is notable given that Reynolds said that while the actors shot for six months, teams of visual artists are working non-stop.
"It's in post [production] where this movie begins," he said.
Warners is now going to work hard to keep the buzz going, and make sure it spreads beyond the confines of the halls in San Francisco. Insiders say the studio, emboldened by the response, will release four minutes of the WonderCon footage online on April 2.

Lively stressed that Geoff Johns was on set for most of the shoot making sure they got it right

Thats good news. It seems like DC is heavily involved in this film, i know there of course part of all DC films but Nolans batman movies kind of go off in there own world. Im glad that comic reps care enough about this production there heavily invested in it! Im excited!!!

Back