GI Joe: Renegades (New Animated Series Debuting 11/26/10)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an open mind and want to see a new spin on some old concepts and don't mind the A-Team approach, then you'll like it. It's a bit slow to start, but the writing has been pretty good so far, and the characterizations are pretty well done. It's not a must watch show, not yet at least (it will be if they keep up the writing of the Destro episode), but it's fun.

But if you want an update of the original show, want the characters to stick close to the originals and if you don't want any major deviations from the source material...This is not the show for you. The art style really takes some getting used to as well.

Though mind you, it IS respectful of the source material and doesn't trample and dance all over it like RoC did. :lol You can see that the guys behind this loved the original show and comics, even though things are different.

Firefly made his debut last night, and boy does he suck. Everything from his costume, stupid looking mask, to the change from a saboteur to a whacked-out firebug, No longer a cool character.
Barbecue also made his appearance, nothing special there. The coolest thing about some of these characters was their masks/helmets and they didn't give him his which is a bonehead decision. I guess only Snake Eyes gets the respect from the people on this show.

Yeah they've ruined pretty much every character in this show. RoC is starting to look good now. Actually, I think this is pulling a lot of source material from RoC. Slave Destro anyone?

so how is this series? Is it worth a look?

Well IMO it's really not that great and mostly because of what SM has to say for instance below.

Firefly made his debut last night, and boy does he suck. Everything from his costume, stupid looking mask, to the change from a saboteur to a whacked-out firebug, No longer a cool character.
Barbecue also made his appearance, nothing special there. The coolest thing about some of these characters was their masks/helmets and they didn't give him his which is a bonehead decision. I guess only Snake Eyes gets the respect from the people on this show.

I don't mind them coming up with some new takes on the Joe verse. Or a new direction to take a new series in. I just feel overall it's really poorly done here. I've given it chance after chance but each ep I watch I feel it's going more and more downhill. I'm a little behind on episodes as I just found the Zartan and Duke in prison eps last week online. Both were pretty horrible though....

I don't want to keep bringing up Resolute like some but man...when you compare the two together....Resolute is absolute genius and just what any new series that Joe should have been.

Some 3 3/4 Renegades figures were shown at Toy Fair today.

DSC04139_resize.JPG

DSC04146_resize.JPG

DSC04145_resize.JPG

DSC04144_resize.JPG

DSC04147_resize.JPG

DSC04143_resize.JPG

Those Renegade figures look 10x better than anything from the actual show. CC would have been much better with a full mask instead of that crappy half a mask thing he got.

Those Renegade figures look 10x better than anything from the actual show. CC would have been much better with a full mask instead of that crappy half a mask thing he got.
:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture
QFT
Exactly what I felt when I saw them.

Khev said:
I missed the Firefly episode but is that figure what he looked like? Why is that so bad? Looks like a miniature Sideshow version.
You'll have to watch the ep. to really understand, they turned him into a psycho pyromaniac.
And he didn't exactly look like that figure, he looked like this:
38firefly300x290.jpg

Last edited:
I know i'll be picking up the few figures I care about at least. I think while the firefly isnt my desired design, I do think he looks pretty good.

Okay I did catch the Firefly episode and while I can't say I love the exposed nose I'm definitely still not feeling the hate for this show. Its pretty cool. I guess for some people anything "sucks" if it deviates in any way from how things looked and sounded 25 years ago.

I'm fine with a reboot or reimagining if the new version is actually cool. Like how Frank Miller, Tim Burton, and Chris Nolan all reinvented Batman, in different but still awesome ways. Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers looked and sounded nothing alike, but were both cool and appropriate in their respective mythologies. Ditto with yellow spandex comics Wolverine vs. the black leather movie version.

I see Renegades as a throwback to the early 90's MTV "Liquid Television" days. It would seem right at home sandwiched between the old Aeon Flux and The Maxx cartoons. Not my cup of tea on every level, but a worthy torch bearer of the Joe mythos, IMO.

Last edited:
It's not that it deviates from the original that I don't like, it's that I don't like the direction they're taking and decisions made.
It's like the exposed nose on Firefly; I wouldn't mind if they changed him to look like Sideshow's version with an all dark gray mask and no camo, but why give him an exposed nose, what purpose would that serve? It looks really stupid.
I feel that they're trying very hard not to be like the original show that they're making changes just for the sake of being different and not because it makes a good story or gives the characters development.

There are a few things I do like from the show, that the Joes have become more of a cohesive team as shows have progressed, they killed that impostor ripcord early on, that Snake Eyes is a bad ass (although there's way too much of that), that Scarlet is a seasoned covert operative and has a strong relationship with Snake Eyes (I actually much prefer this Scarlet to the original version), Serpentor's a huge gen-engineered snake, the Dreadnoks with the exception of Zartan look much cooler then the originals (I do miss the old swamp bikers feel of the original though), Duke seems to be much the same as the old, And the Baroness doesn't feel too different, but lacks the Je ne sais quoi the original had.

Although there's some to like, there's much I don't.

Yeah the exposed nose on Firefly kills his look imo. I also am not really digging Storm Shadow's look either. Anywho looks like the Crimson Twins will be showing up as leaders of some cult. Not to sure how I feel about that idea but here's a clip
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/4STg3aGfRHk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/4STg3aGfRHk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Looks to me that they have mind control abilities, which is something I always associated with Crystal Ball.

I don't mind the religious cult angle much, but I preferred the original version where they represented Cobra's public face and American corporate greed.
But I like the angle that Cobra uses their mind control abilities to gain power and replenish their rank and file soldiers. I just hope they're more associated with Cobra and not just some unrelated side mission.

Okay I did catch the Firefly episode and while I can't say I love the exposed nose I'm definitely still not feeling the hate for this show. Its pretty cool. I guess for some people anything "sucks" if it deviates in any way from how things looked and sounded 25 years ago.

I'm fine with a reboot or reimagining if the new version is actually cool. Like how Frank Miller, Tim Burton, and Chris Nolan all reinvented Batman, in different but still awesome ways. Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers looked and sounded nothing alike, but were both cool and appropriate in their respective mythologies. Ditto with yellow spandex comics Wolverine vs. the black leather movie version.

I see Renegades as a throwback to the early 90's MTV "Liquid Television" days. It would seem right at home sandwiched between the old Aeon Flux and The Maxx cartoons. Not my cup of tea on every level, but a worthy torch bearer of the Joe mythos, IMO.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I enjoy this show. I don't take offense to it having different character designs and concepts of their background stories. We are 25 years on here and times have changed. This is still, as it always was, a kid's property. My kids love this show and I love enjoying it with them. Plus I always waited for a GI Joe cartoon to give SE a lead role. I feel the writers are respecting the core of the source material while putting their spin on it. It's all good with me.

Back