Gentle Giant Jabba statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wookilar8 said:
Always two there are, a master and an apprentice. You decide which is which.

jabba14.jpg

bbq2.jpg

SSC's version definitely captures the essence of Jabba more than the GG statue. I'm glad I ordered SSC's.

KitFisto said:
I respectfully disagree TOTALLY. I am a fan of GG products and collect 3 of their Star Wars lines. However, IMO the SS Jabba figure and set up are far more accurate and better looking than the GG pieces.

I might agree better looking (but those are proto pics so that could change). However, I don't see it as being more movie accurate. I watched the movie this afternoon and the throne is huge. Easy to see when it moves closer so that Jabba can watch Luke with the Rancor. Its much closer to the size of the GG piece. Also, everyone keeps complaining about Jabba's shape. That's due to the above/looking down nature of the picture. I bet you take a picture of SSC Jabba from the same angle and people would be back to the usual production/Im canceling this mentality that permeates the Star Wars threads before the figures start shipping (and sadly is invading the lands of Gondor as we speak).

But, like I said, by movie accurate, I mean size and decoration. And, sorry, but for me, Oola and the Jawa add enough to push the GG piece above the top. Thank God I don't have to chose. I guess the lack of Sal for those skipping th band could hamper that assessment. But both of those together create a cooler diorama in my opinion than what Sideshow has so far announced ... cheaper too. However, that could change in the near future (in terms of additions, not price LOL).

The ill Jedi said:
Originally Posted by Polystoner
But the Slave Leia statue is too big for this Jabba isn't she? So they can't really be displayed together?

I was wondering the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandshell
It seems like Leia will not be in scale with these items.

...Dammit!!

I meant the Sideshow Jabba figure with the 1/7 scale Slave Leia statue Gentle Giant is producing. They call them 1/7 scale, but they are closer to 1/6 scale. I display the Vader and Boba Fett statues with my Sideshow figures and the scale works perfectly. So, unless Jabba turns out to be undersized himself, it should work perfectly.

DouglasMcc said:
I meant the Sideshow Jabba figure with the 1/7 scale Slave Leia statue Gentle Giant is producing. They call them 1/7 scale, but they are closer to 1/6 scale. I display the Vader and Boba Fett statues with my Sideshow figures and the scale works perfectly. So, unless Jabba turns out to be undersized himself, it should work perfectly.

What I am hoping for is that maybe GG Leia detaches from the base and that there is enough room on Jabba's throne for her to fit.

Big props to GG for responding to the proto pictures:

From GG site:

"Regarding the Jabba the Hutt Statue, there was an early image floating around the net this week of an in progress Jabba. The statue has changed (for the better) since that image was taken. We will be posting a final image on our website in the next few days of the final approved version."

Here's what's on their site now:
https://www.gentlegiantltd.com/catalog/product/detail/180

So, no need to have this argument til we see the approved pics. See ya later.

DouglasMcc said:
So, no need to have this argument til we see the approved pics. See ya later.

I can only speak for myself, but my argument was base on the image and I had stated before that if GG's final product was better I'd be all for it, but my point was that saying this in progress image looked closer to the film than the SSC product, was off and I stand behind it, and to go against the point of seeing SSC at the same angle and finding the same flaw, that just isn't so. This shot isn't exactly the same angle, but close enough you can see that the SSC Jabba holds up from any angle and whatever happened with this pre-work from GG just doesn't match up to the film.

SDC_6623.JPG

jabba1.jpg

Excellent comparison pic Maufan. I can definitely see where the SS Jabba shines over the GG proto.

Again, I'm not judging GG until an official photo is released, but merely taking a position in the comparrison of these two products to each other and the film.

MaulFan said:
I can only speak for myself, but my argument was base on the image and I had stated before that if GG's final product was better I'd be all for it, but my point was that saying this in progress image looked closer to the film than the SSC product, was off and I stand behind it, and to go against the point of seeing SSC at the same angle and finding the same flaw, that just isn't so. This shot isn't exactly the same angle, but close enough you can see that the SSC Jabba holds up from any angle and whatever happened with this pre-work from GG just doesn't match up to the film.

SDC_6623.JPG

jabba1.jpg

Sorry. Sideshow's setup is amazing. However, that doesn't change that in my eyes, the GG is more film accurate. And looking at this new pic, other than the white around the GG Jabba's lips, they look identical in shape. I still think most of these complaints are more in the statue vs. figure and size comparison range, rather than in overall quality. Oh well, buy what you want and be happy.

I can't wait to see the final pics for GG.

I'm sorry but the proto GG Jabba looks like someone melted the SS version, it just looks sloppily together. I'd love to see a great GG Jabba, they do great work, I'm really hoping this was just a roughly done piece to figure out scale and things of that nature.

jason2885 said:
I do like Sideshow better for one reason and thats the classic pose for Jabba is to have his tail curled and not straight.

I think the extra tail extension and wider throne is also exagerrating the perception that Jabba is too short/slouched in the GG version.

---

These are big purchases, and with two items identical in content, it's natural for every collector to compare which they want, argue their case, and defend their perception they got the best deal or best product. It gets a little heated, but having seen a lot of online discussions relating to competing franchises/formats degenerate disastrously, I've got to compliment the folks around here for keeping it pretty clean. Everyone's up for honest polite discussion I think. :peace

DouglasMcc said:
Sorry. Sideshow's setup is amazing. However, that doesn't change that in my eyes, the GG is more film accurate. And looking at this new pic, other than the white around the GG Jabba's lips, they look identical in shape. I still think most of these complaints are more in the statue vs. figure and size comparison range, rather than in overall quality. Oh well, buy what you want and be happy.

I can't wait to see the final pics for GG.

I'm sorry too. I just don't see how ANYONE can look at Jabba himself and think that the GG piece is anywhere close to more film accurate than the SS piece. Then on the throne the GG piece does not have all the proper looking pieces.

No disrespect inteded here, but anyone who thinks the GG piece is more film accurate is nothing, but a GG fanboy. I like GG a lot too and collect some of their lines, but there is ZERO chance the GG Jabba is more film accurate than SS's.

MaulFan said:
Again, I'm not judging GG until an official photo is released, but merely taking a position in the comparrison of these two products to each other and the film.

Well I agree, before judging we must see the approved prototype. Anyway I think I'll buy it along with the Max Rebo band and the mail-away Bib Fortuna... It's part of the gentle giant diorama line and I have the Rancor which will be in scale with the diorama so for me It's a must buy.

Proto for Proto SS is better. SS appears to be more film accurate and overall better looking. The Jabba on GG looks too dark especially in the belly aprea and he appears to have eaten a factory of white powdered donuts. It's not a bad piece I think it looks cool and I really do like GG stuff.

I collect both SSC and GG Star Wars. But since both companies are duplicating products in some areas I have decided to collect the one I like the best overall. The SSC Jabba is the best so far in my opinion. I just got the GG Rancor and it is awesome and if Sideshow makes a Rancor I am sure it will be very nice, maybe even better than the one I have from GG. I cannot afford to collect both for space and money considerations. Terrible isn't it? To have to chose between two awesome companies that produce such terrific collectibles. I am in heaven. :lol

GG Jabba is tough, if the final product meets GG quality, I'll probably cave, but since it'll be the same price roughly as SSC Jabba and throne, which I'm getting, it'll have to be very impressive to spend that price on 2 of the same setups basically.

Back