Gentle Giant Jabba statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it is becoming painfully aware that now my room is running out of space really fast and the woman won't let me have another room to expand.

I just barely have room for one more Detolf(for my 12"figures) or Skogen(for my PF's), then I'm going to be in big trouble.

Which one to get is going to be the problem: will I get more 12" figures or more PF's this year? And then there is GG to think about.

The final, approved image:

originalxn2.png

That looks much better (they got rid of the coke residue) but I still like the Sideshow setup more.

Last edited:
I'm not sure his head and torso are 100% there. Sideshow's sculpt looks just a tad better. A tad, not more -- since SS did get it perfect.

Still, GG seem to have done a wonderful job with the colors and the proportions and all the little details. (They even fixed the rugs.) As far as statues go, this is already better-looking than the Attakus piece, and I'm terribly tempted to go get it (as I don't collect 12" figs). All I need now is a sweet, low ES to pull the trigger on a preorder.

I wonder why they made Oola look away, though...

It seems like there's too much tail for the size of his body. Well at least my wallet can feel relieved when I don't buy this too. It's a good effort, but given everything else Star Wars that GG has done, at least from sculpt, this just doesn't seem as good as some of their other products, at least Jabba himself, Oola and the Jawa look good.

Seretur said:
I wonder why they made Oola look away, though...

I believe its intended to add to the diorama nature of the piece. Oola is looking away towards the Band (sister statue). Come on ... if you had your choice of staring at Jabba or the band, which would you choose? :D

I really like what Gentle Giant is doing with this 7 inch scale line. I have Jabba and the Band on preorder and they both look to be great diorama pieces. Now I just need to figure out a way to display all of this.

Really like it, Oola is now screen accurate as in the movie pic posted somewhere in this thread I think, she actually looks that way. then the light up Jawa is another thing who will let me buy this diorama... and of course with the Rancor diorama I own It will be a great setup.

Ah, by the way, I know I'm changing subject but If Sideshow will ever make a Jawa PF... (I would like a Jawas Premium Format diorama, like 3-4 jawas Please)... I do wish they use the light up feature like in the gentle giant Jabba diorama...

tomandshell said:
productDetail.png

My complaint would be that they made Oola look somewhat Asian. Here is the actress who played the character:

taylor3.jpg

(She is not Asian.)
Yep, that's right! I wonder what does Jabba need these females for anyway? Let the Rancor have them! :D

That Bib looks terrible.

I don't see too many of these selling with the quality and proximity to release of the SS Jabba. SS's looks far superior and is about the same price.

Sorry GG, you really missed the ball on this one.

Darth Loki said:
That Bib looks terrible.

I don't see too many of these selling with the quality and proximity to release of the SS Jabba. SS's looks far superior and is about the same price.

What happened to my pictures I cant see them :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind they just take a long time to load

Jabba's right arm looks odd. Like it didn't develop right when he was born. Bib doesn't look all that great either. He's got the pose I thought he would but the face doesn't look close to what he looked like.

lcummins said:
Anybody get the feeling that everyone else is copying Sideshow at the moment??? GG now doing Jabba and putting up the pre-order without images; Quantum Mechanix has their X-Pay payment plan (not even trying on that one); bigger and bigger pieces from everyone; etc., etc., etc.
Perhaps it's been mentioned here before (didn't read through the entire thread), but Attakus started their Jabba palace scene YEARS ago. In 2003 I belive. There was Jabba, Han in carbonite, Salaciuos, Jabba's pipe, Slave Leia (even available as a set with Jabba!). The more recent addition to the palace scene is Bib Fortuna in 2006 and coming this year (I belive): a dancing Oola. So, you can't really say that Attakus is copying Sideshow. If there was any copying, it would be the other way around.
Not that I care, I'm just saying... I think you can't really blame them for choosing the same scene, because it's obviously a very popular one...

jlcmsu said:
Jabba's right arm looks odd. Like it didn't develop right when he was born. Bib doesn't look all that great either. He's got the pose I thought he would but the face doesn't look close to what he looked like.

I think the trouble with Jabba's arm is that it's been sculpted like he has and elbow where in the film and SSC's figure, it just hangs from his shoulder mostly with no sign of internal structure.

Darth Loki said:
That Bib looks terrible.

I respect your opinion. However, I would be willing to bet you my Sideshow Jabba (no throne of course... not spending 270 bucks on a slab when I can use that to buy the GG :lol ) that these sell out this year. It's a great piece.

I am starting to see something. I will call it the Sideshow Effect. Before I begin, let me say, I am not discounting SSC Jabba. It really is a great figure. But, many of you seem to be seeing the GG piece through crap encrusted goggles. Not sure if you are peeved that GG is releasing him so soon in tandem with SSC or you are trying to rationalize reason's for not buying it. But anyone who discounts GG's Jabba as above is not being fair. I can accept that SSC Jabba, in many of your eyes is better. I respect that. However, if you are going to go around spouting about how horrible GG piece is, I just don't believe you are evaluating the piece fairly. If you think the SSC is the best, then more power to ya. However, don't trash the GG just to feel better about your purchase.

In the end, these are 2 different items - statue vs. figure. I will be perfectly happy with SSC Jabba, SSC Sal, a custom barge bed, and GG Jabba ... all for around 20 bucks less that the final cost of the Sideshow 3 pack would have cost me. It may be blasphemy, but I have no problem sacrificing the throne for the cost of the GG piece and another 30 bucks toward the band set.

P.S. The other poster was correct. The Bib isn't that bad. Plus, seeing as GG has said that Bib is still in protoform - yes, we are going their again, he will probably change slightly when he starts shipping out just like the Jabba.

Back