Gentle Giant Jabba statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's up for sale, but no image, at SWshop.com, $300 dollars, equal to SSC Jabba and Throne in price, not in appearance, at least the shot we've seen, i'll order him if he's nice in the final product image.

wookilar8 said:
Always two there are, a master and an apprentice. You decide which is which.

jabba14.jpg

jabba1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

Oh, just noticed something. Look at the movie still. The Sideshow setup is not to scale. Jabba and his hooka are about to fall off the Sideshow throne, where as in the movie, the slab was big enough for him to fit his whole body with tail outstretched plus still have extra room to his left (opposite side of hooka). So, while Sideshow's Jabba (just Jabba) looks nice at this point, and the whole SSC setup is bigger, the GG piece is more movie accurate. Just one of those things that make you go hmm.... :monkey3

I can understand why they went for the slightly smaller slab. Hell, there are enough of us *****ing about 200 bucks for the throne. If it truly was to scale , Sideshow would probably charge us 300... :confused:

P.S. I have seen ROTJ at least 20 times in my life... and this is the first time I actually noticed the fan waving Jawa .... DOH!

DouglasMcc said:
Oh, just noticed something. Look at the movie still. The Sideshow setup is not to scale. Jabba and his hooka are about to fall off the Sideshow throne, where as in the movie, the slab was big enough for him to fit his whole body with tail outstretched plus still have extra room to his left (opposite side of hooka). So, while Sideshow's Jabba (just Jabba) looks nice at this point, and the whole SSC setup is bigger, the GG piece is more movie accurate. Just one of those things that make you go hmm.... :monkey3

Good point but for me the entire SSC setup just looks so much better.. even if the throne is a little too small.

P.S. What I meant to say was that SSC's Jabba figure looks superior to Gentle Giant proto-pics at this point. But GG's Throne setup is superior in my eyes to SSC. Hmm... I wish GG would release some official pics so they could clear up the angle and painting issue.

DouglasMcc said:
Oh, just noticed something. Look at the movie still. The Sideshow setup is not to scale. Jabba and his hooka are about to fall off the Sideshow throne, where as in the movie, the slab was big enough for him to fit his whole body with tail outstretched plus still have extra room to his left (opposite side of hooka). So, while Sideshow's Jabba (just Jabba) looks nice at this point, and the whole SSC setup is bigger, the GG piece is more movie accurate. Just one of those things that make you go hmm....

In the podcast from Sideshow about Jabba and crew, they stated the back rest railing would be movable, so it's placement is just a Sideshow choice and looking at their photos the choice looks like it was to center Jabba and the railing on the slab portion, so it's superior to GG in that each collector can have it just the way they want.

MaulFan said:
In the podcast from Sideshow about Jabba and crew, they stated the back rest railing would be movable, so it's placement is just a Sideshow choice and looking at their photos the choice looks like it was to center Jabba and the railing on the slab portion, so it's superior to GG in that each collector can have it just the way they want.

Actually, when I was referring to the scale, I was talking about Jabba's size in comparison to the throne, not the placement of the hookah. No matter where you place him, the throne is undersized. I can understand why they did this. However, it is technically not screen accurate. However, I respect your opinion. For me, the larger scale of the throne and Oola and the Jawa push GG's throne setup over the top.

i can't wait for this piece and the companion max rebo band piece.

its going to go lovely with the rancor statue.:chew :chew :chew

Seaward said:
I am still scratching my head:confused: Is Jabba the dimensions of the Beast line, which seems closer to Kenner scale, or the Full size line, which seems to be the 1/6 scale?

I was wondering the same thing. I copied the image into photoshop and tried to "measure" some relative lengths of Oola to the figure as a whole. Not very accurate of course, since she is sitting, and the shot is from overhead. Anyway, if the full figure is 9 inches, she is definitely somewhat shorter than that. I think the 1/10 (or 7 inch) scale can be safely assumed as reported by others, matching the Rancor but not Leia.

It makes sense I suppose in their product context, as these are moreso "dioramas" while Leia is sitting on the standard figure stylized base, albeit with some blankets/fabric. I agree the Sideshow looks a little better balanced, and the 1/6 scale is impressive. I also like the full Hooka pipe and the little creatures. I like Jabba eating a frog in the GG version though, and if Bib is really to be placed in a "whispering pose", I think it will fill the "empty space" on the right side. Love having the Jawa and Oola in there, and the band is killer too.

I'll go with my preference for fully sculpted pieces here, and take the GG. There are definitely some great options here for different tastes. Including of course, the largest, most expensive, and first version of this scene, by Attakus.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but the Gentle Giant Jabba looks to me more ''screen-accurate'' then the Sideshow version.

What would really be cool is if Gentle Giant included the top of the hookah pipe so collectors could decide whether to display it on or off - similar to the way they give you the masked face and unmasked face for the Tauntaun Luke statue.

I have a feeling that the white around his mouth will either get over-turned (well, if its intentional and not a proto lighting or painting error), or vastly toned down when it goes through the Lucas approval process. Its not as bad as some make it, but I would like Jabba as close to that screen shot as possible. Also would love them to turn Oola around, but could live with her either way.

P.S. Also, wouldn't it be great if Sal was movable so you could choose whether to set him with the band or beside Jabba?

MaulFan said:
I don't even get how anyone can see that.

Actually, since its a matter of size and perspective, I don't get how anyone CAN'T see that. No one is trying to say that Jabba looks better or worse. We are saving those arguments until there is an official pic approved by LucasFilms to go off of. However, its pretty obvious to anyone who looks at those 2 pics that the Jabba scale is more film accurate in the Gentle Giant piece.

I am pretty sure Sideshow went with a smaller throne to save money/space. They are a business and I can understand that. And to be honest, until I saw those pics, I didn't even realize the throne was too small.

In retrospect, this thread is turning into a Gamefaqs video game console argument. My Jabba roxxurs and yours sucka'! (misspellings intentional... I silently weep every time I see our children trying to communicate on Gamefaqs... sigh). Just because some of us prefer one version, that doesn't mean we have to trash the other. It looks like it going to come down to 3 choices:

1.) Buy Sideshow's Jabba for the added size and to fit in with your 12" collection.
2.) Buy Gentle Giant's Jabba for the screen accuracy and added diorama aspects.
3.) Buy both of them and be happy either way.

Heck, I am already envisioning 2 setups myself: Sideshow Jabba on his sail barge with the Gentle Giant slave Leia in front and the full Gentle Giant diorama to depict Jabba on his throne. Yeah, much like the consoles, I think I will just forgo the silly bickering and buy both.

DouglasMcc said:
However, its pretty obvious to anyone who looks at those 2 pics that the Jabba scale is more film accurate in the Gentle Giant piece.

Actually, it isn't obvious to anyone because there are two sides to the matter. I look at the screen shot and the SSC throne and without paying attention to where the pipe is or isn't, I see more film accurrate height and width to the Sideshow throne, the GG looks to short, much longer, and significantly off from the film.

MaulFan said:
I see more film accurrate height and width to the Sideshow throne, the GG looks to short, much longer, and significantly off from the film.

Bingo! And, forget what GG should or shouldn't do with accessories. Jabba is the main attraction here; and, appearance and size are what need to be worked on. The proto pic shows the GG Jabba to be a little more...flaccid compared to the SS and Attakus Jabba's (like he's ready to pass out). GG does great work though, so there is no doubt in my mind that this will end up being an awesome display, in the end, and another great alternative to what is already out.

Both will look great, in all probability. Sideshow's is designed for 12" collectors, Gentle Giant's for statue/diorama collectors.

Not the same thing at all -- as it should be. After all, they do have separate and different licences.

(Actually, the rugs and pillows look slightly more screen-accurate on Sideshow's version, so I hope they get addressed in GG's redesign...)

Gentle Giant is a great company, they've always produced great work, and I will add that my comments are based on this unofficial image. I will hold my final judgement for an actual product image, but this shot seems a little subpar to the quality they've shown us over the years, it looks so lesser compared to their other offerings that if you showed me the image and asked me who the maker was, I would never guess it was GG, they're always so spot on with sculpts that I can't imagine they wouldn't naile Jabba's look as good as SSC did.

MaulFan said:
Actually, it isn't obvious to anyone because there are two sides to the matter. I look at the screen shot and the SSC throne and without paying attention to where the pipe is or isn't, I see more film accurrate height and width to the Sideshow throne, the GG looks to short, much longer, and significantly off from the film.

Well, then that's your opinion and I will respect that. We will just have to agree that you are wrong .... :D sorry, I couldn't resist ... no, we will just have to agree to disagree.

DouglasMcc said:
What would really be cool is if Gentle Giant included the top of the hookah pipe so collectors could decide whether to display it on or off - similar to the way they give you the masked face and unmasked face for the Tauntaun Luke statue.

P.S. Also, wouldn't it be great if Sal was movable so you could choose whether to set him with the band or beside Jabba?

Love these ideas! Not out of the realm of possibility with GG - There is the Luke precedent which you mention. And the trooper busts come with MANY interchangeable or rearrangeable parts. Of course, that's because they want you to "army build", but still ... :cool:

DouglasMcc said:
Actually, since its a matter of size and perspective, I don't get how anyone CAN'T see that. No one is trying to say that Jabba looks better or worse. We are saving those arguments until there is an official pic approved by LucasFilms to go off of. However, its pretty obvious to anyone who looks at those 2 pics that the Jabba scale is more film accurate in the Gentle Giant piece.

I am pretty sure Sideshow went with a smaller throne to save money/space. They are a business and I can understand that. And to be honest, until I saw those pics, I didn't even realize the throne was too small.

In retrospect, this thread is turning into a Gamefaqs video game console argument. My Jabba roxxurs and yours sucka'! (misspellings intentional... I silently weep every time I see our children trying to communicate on Gamefaqs... sigh). Just because some of us prefer one version, that doesn't mean we have to trash the other. It looks like it going to come down to 3 choices:

1.) Buy Sideshow's Jabba for the added size and to fit in with your 12" collection.
2.) Buy Gentle Giant's Jabba for the screen accuracy and added diorama aspects.
3.) Buy both of them and be happy either way.

Heck, I am already envisioning 2 setups myself: Sideshow Jabba on his sail barge with the Gentle Giant slave Leia in front and the full Gentle Giant diorama to depict Jabba on his throne. Yeah, much like the consoles, I think I will just forgo the silly bickering and buy both.

I respectfully disagree TOTALLY. I am a fan of GG products and collect 3 of their Star Wars lines. However, IMO the SS Jabba figure and set up are far more accurate and better looking than the GG pieces.

Back