Gentle Giant Jabba statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone here is doing any of that! I think people are just voicing their opinions that they feel GG is just come up short. It's a nice piece no doubt but it's not as good as SS Jabba set up.

jlcmsu said:
I don't think anyone here is doing any of that! I think people are just voicing their opinions that they feel GG is just come up short. It's a nice piece no doubt but it's not as good as SS Jabba set up.

Sorry JL, I respect you ... and I am sure we will agree on many more things Star Wars in the future. However, you and Maul are prime offenders ( j/k). Once again you supposedly compliment the piece and then trash it in the same sentence. I for one see it different:

Sideshow Jabba is the best vinyl-based figure version of Jabba ever made for retail.
Gentle Giant Jabba is the best statue/diorama ever made for retail (yes, I feel it outdoes Attakus).

Sideshow's Jabba sculpt is a little better than Gentle Giant's sculpt. I like the coloring more on GG (more film accurate), but I like the iconic pose ability of the Sideshow.

Gentle Giant's throne is better in my opinion due to proper size ratio with Jabba and the inclusion of Oola and Jawa (and don't bring up Sal, he is sold separately, but so is the SSC version. I don't see anyone spending the money for GG Jabba without the band too). Sorry, but SSC lost a few pegs on the amazing scale in my eyes when I realized the throne is about 15 to 20 percent too small for the scale of the Jabba. It still looks amazing though.

Overall, the pieces are equal in my eyes. In fact, if we could combine the good from both and eliminate the bad from both into one item, it would be the ultimate Jabba.

Right now, I am still buying both as they are both amazing pieces. However, if I could only afford one, I would go with GG Jabba and Band statues (with free Bib) as they can both be preorder online for about 20 bucks less than Jabba, throne, and Bib (and thats including shipping for both). And together they create the current diorama champ (which could admittedly change with future SSC releases. But don't be like that. Order both. It will be worth it.

P.S. Now, come on GG, give us a Carbo-Han alcove and Boba Fett statue to truly "complete" our Jabba diorama.

DouglasMcc said:
I am starting to see something. I will call it the Sideshow Effect. Before I begin, let me say, I am not discounting SSC Jabba. It really is a great figure. But, many of you seem to be seeing the GG piece through crap encrusted goggles.

You know, I would say the same of you and your unending stance that GG is the better and more film accurrate representation. I personally could care less the GG is making the same thing as SSC, I treat each line differently with expectations based on what else I've seen and owned from that manufacturer. Bottom line for me, even if SSC didn't make Jabba, I would feel the same way I do about this statue, Oola is great, the Jawa looks great, the throne and Jabba have nice detail work in them, but as far as being totally true to the film appearance, I think the throne is off and Jabba is off, and with all the pieces I own from GG, non of them have fallen short to me, at least scult wise, of being great representations of the character / creature so as close as Jabba looks to the film, I'm just a bit surprised that GG's design seems as off as it does.

DouglasMcc said:
I am starting to see something. I will call it the Sideshow Effect. Before I begin, let me say, I am not discounting SSC Jabba. It really is a great figure. But, many of you seem to be seeing the GG piece through crap encrusted goggles. Not sure if you are peeved that GG is releasing him so soon in tandem with SSC or you are trying to rationalize reason's for not buying it. But anyone who discounts GG's Jabba as above is not being fair. I can accept that SSC Jabba, in many of your eyes is better. I respect that. However, if you are going to go around spouting about how horrible GG piece is, I just don't believe you are evaluating the piece fairly. If you think the SSC is the best, then more power to ya. However, don't trash the GG just to feel better about your purchase.
Why can't they trash it? It's their opinion, and just because it isn't the same as yours doesn't mean they're seeing the world through "Sideshow Fanboy" colored glasses. I'm getting a little tired of that accusation being thrown about everytime people don't fall all over something from another company.

And not to mention, I wouldn't say that I'm a Sideshow fanbody or anything, but it a SIDESHOW FORUM!!! duhhhhh we like Sideshow, yes we start threads about any old thing Star Wars and all, but at the core, this board is meant more so for discussion of Sideshow merchandise so naturally the majority of posters should feel strongly for Sideshow product, hence the reason for coming here, but as I said before, I judge the two manufacturer's individually and just made comments on comparrison because it was a part of the discussion and I had things to say about it. As for calling me out as one of these blind people, that's a load of BS and you can think what you want, and yes I do compliment and put down the item at the same time because unlike a drone who foolishly may follow something totally without question, I find the good and the bad in things and I don't think the Jabba statue is 100% bad and deffinately not 100% good, so I will compliment its plus facts and state my stance on its negatives.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Why can't they trash it? It's their opinion, and just because it isn't the same as yours doesn't mean they're seeing the world through "Sideshow Fanboy" colored glasses. I'm getting a little tired of that accusation being thrown about everytime people don't fall all over something from another company.
Don't forget all the other companies Fanboys who trash the SS.

I think they both look good but there is one big difference. Put that in one persons house and the SS one in another house and watch peoples reactions. I would be willing to bet big money that the SS would get a bigger reaction, due to its size. Being on a smaller scale the GG is never going to get the same pop the SS gets. Hell put the GG Rancor by the GG Jabba and they might not even notice Jabba.

I'm not bashing Gentle Giant here...I have a few of their pieces in my collection that I enjoy a lot, but this Jabba set-up just looks a little "off" to me. Not bad...just off. It does have a few touches on it I hope the SS one has eventually...the frond-waving Jawa, an Oola (although I hope Sideshow does one that looks more like Femi...the dancer who played her).

I'm sure the Gentle Giant piece will impress once it's out, but I'm glad I've got the Sideshow set-up coming...

DouglasMcc said:
Sorry JL, I respect you ... and I am sure we will agree on many more things Star Wars in the future. However, you and Maul are prime offenders ( j/k). Once again you supposedly compliment the piece and then trash it in the same sentence. I for one see it different:

I don't feel I'm trashing the GG piece. I just don't think it's as nice as the SS piece.

DouglasMcc said:
Sideshow's Jabba sculpt is a little better than Gentle Giant's sculpt. I like the coloring more on GG (more film accurate), but I like the iconic pose ability of the Sideshow.

The coloring I thought compairing to the film is actually off on the GG piece. Specifically his belly area which is way too dark and his right arm which just look odd.

DouglasMcc said:
Gentle Giant's throne is better in my opinion due to proper size ratio with Jabba and the inclusion of Oola and Jawa (and don't bring up Sal, he is sold separately, but so is the SSC version. I don't see anyone spending the money for GG Jabba without the band too). Sorry, but SSC lost a few pegs on the amazing scale in my eyes when I realized the throne is about 15 to 20 percent too small for the scale of the Jabba. It still looks amazing though.

If it's off a little in scale I'm actually ok with it because this will make it easier to display. The GG piece is smaller overall is it not? Oola doesn't mean anything to me as far as being on the throne. Because she was dancing in the movie and not just setting there.

MaulFan said:
You know, I would say the same of you and your unending stance that GG is the better and more film accurrate representation.

Right. Fans of other companies love to come here and tell SS Product fans that other companies make better or at least as good of stuff. They have the absolute right to feel that way but seems funny to come to another board to tell someone that. It would be like me going to the Medicom Board and railing on those pieces. Which I wouldn't do because I like some of Medicoms stuff.

TheObsoleteMan said:

I have to agree. I know I've been nailed several times when I've said I don't like a Medicom piece (I do like a lot of them though) and some GG stuff (Elrond, Jabba, Etc.) that I'm just being a SS Fanboy. Which is just utter crap really. Sure, I think SS stuff is the absolute best you can buy. That's my opinion as wrong as it might be to some it's my right. However, as big a fan of SS as I might be I am not blind to saying something else is a good product.

I've collected a lot of companies over the years be it smaller toys to the higher end stuff. I respect what the other companies do and I almost always mention what I like about a product. People though shouldn't blame me or others for think SS products are the best. Honestly, it's something that has started to bother me that I get railed because I feel SS makes the best stuff.

MaulFan said:
And not to mention, I wouldn't say that I'm a Sideshow fanbody or anything, but it a SIDESHOW FORUM!!!

Exactly! This is where when I say I think SS made the best "X" figure and someone tells me that my opinion is worthless or I'm just seeing the world through SS Colored Glasses. It's a board for fans of SS who happens to make for some of us the best stuff out there. I like Medicom, GG, Hasbro, Etc. but IMO they do come up short. I buy there stuff and wouldn't if they didn't make some awesome products.

mfoga said:
Don't forget all the other companies Fanboys who trash the SS.

Bingo! I see a whole lot less bashing or trashing of products from other companies here than I do other boards. As much as some of us might be considered by some SS Fanboys who say SS can do no wrong others are as bad. Though, I do honestly believe that I am not someone who can say SS does no wrong, because I've said on more than one occassion when SS has made aproduct I don't like.

MaulFan said:
You know, I would say the same of you and your unending stance that GG is the better and more film accurrate representation. I personally could care less the GG is making the same thing as SSC, I treat each line differently with expectations based on what else I've seen and owned from that manufacturer. Bottom line for me, even if SSC didn't make Jabba, I would feel the same way I do about this statue, Oola is great, the Jawa looks great, the throne and Jabba have nice detail work in them, but as far as being totally true to the film appearance, I think the throne is off and Jabba is off

This will be the last comment about this specific topic as I see the path we are set upon. My comments are to clarify:

If you read my comments, you would see I found faults in both pieces. I also added the j/k - joke symbol to show it was in fun ... guess you didn't take it that way. I won't bother to restate my opinion, its above. But I did say that I thought both pieces were on the same level. Only thing the GG has over SS is the value/ display to money spent aspect. So, if I couldn't afford both, I would go with GG. Otherwise they are both definite buys.

The main reason I used you for my Sideshow Effect comment (and please don't use that Fanboy term ... it makes all of us look like pre-teens yelling about game machines), is related to your comments about SSC being screen accurate as if it was perfect and GG isn't even close. Sorry, but I think its obvious GG is more scene accurate ... notice I said screen accurate, not better, best, supercalifragilisticespalidosuous or any other descriptive terms you want to throw in there. You can say SSC is better. That's a completely subjective comment and dictated by personal opinion where no one is wrong. However, screen accuracy is simple analysis and GG wins.

Sideshow:
Throne too small (best estimate - 10 to 15%)
Jabba's color is too light
Skin is not dirty enough
Oola and Jawa add bonus points to SA even if Oola is looking the other direction

That's not meant to say GG is perfect, just more accurate that SSC.

Please enlighten me on what makes the Gentle Giant piece not screen accurate. I would ask you be specific, as "it looks off" really doesn't tell me anything I can use to analyze the piece for myself.

wookilar8 said:
Always two there are, a master and an apprentice. You decide which is which.

jabba14.jpg

jabba1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

jlcmsu said:
I don't feel I'm trashing the GG piece. I just don't think it's as nice as the SS piece.

The coloring I thought compairing to the film is actually off on the GG piece. Specifically his belly area which is way too dark and his right arm which just look odd.

If it's off a little in scale I'm actually ok with it because this will make it easier to display. The GG piece is smaller overall is it not? Oola doesn't mean anything to me as far as being on the throne. Because she was dancing in the movie and not just setting there.

Let me preface this JL by saying this is meant more for discussion than personal attack. However, how can you look at that movie still above and tell me that the belly is way too dark? Its actually slightly lighter on the GG. As for the SSC, that Jabba looks like he recently took a bath and got a tan .. its that light. Now, I still love the SSC figure, but the coloring on the GG is more film accurate ... sorry, that not something that can be disputed ... its photographic evidence. As for the Oola comment, she seems to be seated on the throne right there. Different direction on the GG, but still seated.

As for those who are turning this into an argument over size, I will not argue. If the size of the piece is your determinate point, then the SSC wins, hands down. However, that's not what I was analyzing. I was talking about screen accurate.

DouglasMcc said:
This will be the last comment about this specific topic as I see the path we are set upon. My comments are to clarify:

If you read my comments, you would see I found faults in both pieces. I also added the j/k - joke symbol to show it was in fun ... guess you didn't take it that way. I won't bother to restate my opinion, its above. But I did say that I thought both pieces were on the same level. Only thing the GG has over SS is the value/ display to money spent aspect. So, if I couldn't afford both, I would go with GG. Otherwise they are both definite buys.

The main reason I used you for my Sideshow Effect comment (and please don't use that Fanboy term ... it makes all of us look like pre-teens yelling about game machines), is related to your comments about SSC being screen accurate as if it was perfect and GG isn't even close. Sorry, but I think its obvious GG is more scene accurate ... notice I said screen accurate, not better, best, supercalifragilisticespalidosuous or any other descriptive terms you want to throw in there. You can say SSC is better. That's a completely subjective comment and dictated by personal opinion where no one is wrong. However, screen accuracy is simple analysis and GG wins.

Sideshow:
Throne too small (best estimate - 10 to 15%)
Jabba's color is too light
Skin is not dirty enough
Oola and Jawa add bonus points to SA even if Oola is looking the other direction

That's not meant to say GG is perfect, just more accurate that SSC.

Please enlighten me on what makes the Gentle Giant piece not screen accurate. I would ask you be specific, as "it looks off" really doesn't tell me anything I can use to analyze the piece for myself.

I notice you say screen accurate and a beautiful naked woman with 100 billion dollars on her all for me couldn't change my mind that SSC is more screen accurate, from the physical structure and sculpting of Jabba's body to the dimensions of the throne, GG just doesn't seem on target to me. It looks to small in height, the length looks too big, can't really judge depth from the photo, the Jabba taile from his right arm on looks misproportioned to the size of the body they made, his right arm is sculpted almost humanoid looking instead of fat sluglike.

And as to your unending statement that GG is more screen accurrate, I really don't know how, even using the screen image shown in this thread, that you can feel that, even with the final production image, I think you are blinded by some fuzzy GG glasses to use your own style of commenting.

jlcmsu said:

Sorry, but that picture actually makes the coloring on the GG belly look even better. SSC belly is way too light and there is not enough fold detail in the stomach area (although I am sure this is due to the hollow vinyl nature of him and I can live with it).

HOW can anyone think this
originalxn2.png

is the more screen accurrate piece to this
bbq2.jpg

If you look carefully enough at the screen image, Jabba's tail works from the point to his body at a fairly large angle, where the GG piece looks like a flat tail/body much like the Hasbro Ultra Jabba, but SSC captured that, the throne in the screen shot looks pretty small and quite thick from bottom to top where the GG, either by design or thrown off by the length, looks too thin, the GG throne looks smoother where the SSC looks to have more texture like the film, I can't really tell from the image but it looks like SS is more accurrate where the railing meets the pipe bowl. All around, I think SSC did a much better job at capturing it all in film accuracy.

Now I just want to say, the GG statue is an okay piece and if I had the money for it I would probably get it in addition to the Sideshow Jabba because I like cool Jabba collectibles, but if someone is going to open up discussion about film accurracy I am going to stand up for my point.

DouglasMcc said:
Let me preface this JL by saying this is meant more for discussion than personal attack. However, how can you look at that movie still above and tell me that the belly is way too dark? Its actually slightly lighter on the GG. As for the SSC, that Jabba looks like he recently took a bath and got a tan .. its that light. Now, I still love the SSC figure, but the coloring on the GG is more film accurate ... sorry, that not something that can be disputed ... its photographic evidence.

I know. I was using a couple of quotes to kind of get some items off my chest. The still I posted matches better to the SS piece and IMO shows the GG piece to be too dark on the belly. As far as the evidence poiting to the GG piece being more accurate. I don't think so but that's my opinion and I'm not gonna try and go changing yours. That would be rude on my part.

DouglasMcc said:
Sorry, but that picture actually makes the coloring on the GG belly look even better. SSC belly is way too light and there is not enough fold detail in the stomach area (although I am sure this is due to the hollow vinyl nature of him and I can live with it).

I disagree but it's cool. :)

MaulFan said:
I notice you say screen accurate and a beautiful naked woman with 100 billion dollars on her all for me couldn't change my mind that SSC is more screen accurate, from the physical structure and sculpting of Jabba's body to the dimensions of the throne, GG just doesn't seem on target to me. It looks to small in height, the length looks too big, can't really judge depth from the photo, the Jabba taile from his right arm on looks misproportioned to the size of the body they made, his right arm is sculpted almost humanoid looking instead of fat sluglike.

As for changing your mind, I never expected to. I was simply expressing my analysis of the pictures. You are welcome to your opinions. However, once again, you answer with vague little comments: what about the physical structure? What about the sculpting of Jabba's body to throne? How is it too small in height (give me size ratios to work with - I realize they would be your guesses, but that's okay). Just give me something to work with. Unlike others, I would be happy to admit I was wrong if presented with strong evidence.

Seems like we will have to disagree on another thing as well. You give me 100 billion dollars and a naked woman ... well, screw Star Wars collecting. I think I will just start island collecting instead :cool:

MaulFan said:
And as to your unending statement that GG is more screen accurrate, I really don't know how, even using the screen image shown in this thread, that you can feel that, even with the final production image, I think you are blinded by some fuzzy GG glasses to use your own style of commenting.

As I said, which piece is better is debatable. From everything I have seen screen accuracy is not. And while I don't agree with your assessment, much like mine, you are entitled to your opinion.

Im sorry or is it just me , you can't compare apples to oranges. They are made to be completely different. One is a figure which can be setup however you like and with whoever you like. The other is a statue which is designed to capture one exact moment in time. Also you can't compare well lit studio type photos to a film capture of a dark and dingy sceen.

mfoga said:
Im sorry or is it just me , you can't compare apples to oranges. They are made to be completely different. One is a figure which can be setup however you like and with whoever you like. The other is a statue which is designed to capture one exact moment in time. Also you can't compare well lit studio type photos to a film capture of a dark and dingy sceen.

I don't think the fact that one's a vinyl figure versus a statue is a factor. Even if the statue is a more frozen in a moment scenario, it's not even a matter of the moment, just that GG didn't get his look right period. The GG Jabba should either have his tail thin out more, or his body, from below the shoulders up, should be higher so the tail angles more like in the film shot, right now it looks like the tail angles a little at the tip and for the most part runs a straight light to his body, which isn't how Jabba is.

MaulFan said:
HOW can anyone think this
originalxn2.png

is the more screen accurrate piece to this
bbq2.jpg

If you look carefully enough at the screen image, Jabba's tail works from the point to his body at a fairly large angle, where the GG piece looks like a flat tail/body much like the Hasbro Ultra Jabba,

That's called distribution of fat (or whatever bulbous material thats underneath Jabba's skin). The screen capture has him sculpted with his tail at a slight angle and it closer to the foreground. The GG piece has the tail straighter and its positioned closer to the background. With the tail straight out, the fat spreads evenly throughout his full tail causing it to appear smaller. When its bent, that causes fat to compress and adds to the impression of added size. Sorry, but being the fat bastiche I am, I sadly have intimate knowledge of this phenomenon sigh...

MaulFan said:
but SSC captured that, the throne in the screen shot looks pretty small and quite thick from bottom to top where the GG, either by design or thrown off by the length, looks too thin, the GG throne looks smoother where the SSC looks to have more texture like the film, I can't really tell from the image but it looks like SS is more accurrate where the railing meets the pipe bowl.

Remember, I never said that GG was perfect. I too noticed the throne to be slightly skinner. However, I believe that's due to the picture angle. However, if I had a choice between it being slightly skinnier and it being too short, I will go with skinnier. Of course that's personal opinion so why bother discussing. However, I still think .. I know I sound like a parrot here ... that GG version is closer with its throne. The texture of the throne on Sideshow is due to the larger size and the millions of pics we have seen of SSC. I would be willing to bet GG texture is of the same quality upon closer inspection.

MaulFan said:
All around, I think SSC did a much better job at capturing it all in film accuracy.

Now I just want to say, the GG statue is an okay piece and if I had the money for it I would probably get it in addition to the Sideshow Jabba because I like cool Jabba collectibles, but if someone is going to open up discussion about film accurracy I am going to stand up for my point.

I think I have proven my analytical point. However, as JL pointed out, it will continue to boil down to personal tastes and personal opinion. And that's fine.

Yeah, there is almost no point in arguing. Some like the SSC one better some like the GG one better some like both.. no big deal. Lets just be glad we can even have the discussion that 2 great overall Jabba sets are being made.. we can all decide for ourselves which we like best. I doubt arguing will change anybodys mind.

Back