Statue Gandalf the Grey Maquette - Order NOW, Link in 1st post!.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Gandalf the Grey Maquette - July 5 preorder

Yeah, funny how that works. All sorts of folks whining about the price of Aragorn , but not a peep out of any of them when Weta charges $200 for a Prancing Pony environment....just a coincidence I guess :monkey3

The thing is I understand the wanting of these items to be cheaper. Who doesn't? Thats just not the market anymore no matter how much folks complain about it. Weta who I think are great people having met them at the Con several times put out that really cool D9 statue at a higher price than Aragorn. Its actually a bit smaller than Aragorn but equal in price to this piece.

Like you said even the price of the enviros have gone up. They came in at around $100 back in the day but now are around $200. Things change thats just how it goes. Can't expect to pay yesterday's prices today.

And now a couple of excl. vs reg. comparisons. I give the nod to the excl. version myself. :)

2000841_press01-001.jpg
200084_press01-001.jpg

Both look AWESOME! However, I just like the impact the Ex gives ya over the regular. :rock

2/2 on this line so far. I placed an order. Looks really good. Just not crazy about the price, but, it's par for the course.

Agent0028, the 12" line is done, same can be said for the Legendary Scale busts line, and I am sure the diorama line isn't far behind.

Looks like this line and the p.f. line will be the 2 main LOTR offerings from SS. And, myself, I prefer this line. After comparing both, I feel fully sculpted just looks better.

Not to mention, much more display friendly, if you want to display them the right way, in a curio cabinet, in my opinion.

Looks fantastic. I wish the PF had the sword in the other hand too.

It looks so good, really it's incredible.

I definitly prefer it to the Premium format. The sculpt and the paintjob on this one are so great.

Ordered the exclusive version !!!

Passed on this---I will stay with the PF line

Looks good to me. I hope I'm able to stay with this line and it lasts a long time. It seems like the lines I like die before their time though. Lotr 1/6 line and the Indy 1/6 line come to mind but at least the Indy one is offically end yet.

Ordered. I might get stoned for saying this, but I think I prefer this over the PF. In fact I'm considering canceling my pre-order for the exclusive PF and just stick with this line. Much easier to display. If funds permit I'd like to have both. Can never have too much Gandalf.

He looks awesome. I think I like the EX pose a bit more, but both are great

Ordered. I might get stoned for saying this, but I think I prefer this over the PF. In fact I'm considering canceling my pre-order for the exclusive PF and just stick with this line. Much easier to display. If funds permit I'd like to have both. Can never have too much Gandalf.

I'm leaning towards giving the axe to the PF as well. This ships later and I do prefer statues a bit more than PF's. Plus this is cheaper even with the statue being $250. :lol

Ordered the Exclusive, all of my LOTR PF has been sold, which were never displayed, just too big and amount of space required to display. I really do hope Sideshow complete this line. As there are talks about Balrog also being made this pose of GTG just might be the reason for stand off with Balrog, wouldn't that be cool...:clap

Yeah, would be badass when they get to a Balrog. I'd actually like to see him holding the sword this time. Would be a neat twist to what we've seen before and still look pretty damn cool.

I generally don't prefer action sculpts with billowing capes and odd flowing hair. I know this line is leaning in that 'force unleashed', 'lotr eXtreme' direction but I much prefer poses like the Gandalf PF or the Aragorn maquette over the off balance, caught in motion poses SS tends to go for. But this is a nice piece that came out better than I feared with those medi-thrust preview sketches.

Caved in and ordered. I'm not a huge LOTR fan, but this piece looks too impressive not to have on order come shipping time. This may be a line I could stick with, and I'll have to go back and check out Aragorn again.

That's too bad the 12" line is dead, those were some pretty awesome figures. I can understand liking this over the PF, but I prefer PF in general, and I think GTG PF is better than the statue. In fact I wish I could get the GTG PF to replace my WETA maquette.

Ordered! I thought maybe the preview fringe might have been for Gimli's cloak, but I am happy with Gandalf too! The exclusive pose works a lot for me. I have Gandalf and Aragorn both ordered, but I think I might have to wait and see how things are work-wise before I decide to keep them on order. I really like this line so far though!

Ok I just ordered this but I admit I was 100% pushed into the ex because of the majority opinion that the staff up pose is superior. I saw the link and before coming here went to the Sideshow page (am traveling and away from normal computer routine). All positive comments, a nice sign and sort of surprising.

Does anyone think the upper body looks a bit stiff with the head facing up and to the left a bit more than makes sense? With the staff oriented up the whole pose seems stiffer. With the non-ex staff it looks more comic like but it makes the whole piece look more cohesive.

i'm undecided about which staff pose looks better. i think the exclusive pose should have him holding the staff up a little higher. maybe choke up more. but whatever. this line will be dead after about 1 more release anyway. as soon as aragorn starts shipping everybody will cancel and he'll sit on 2nd chance for 10+ months. then the line will mysteriously slow down til they axe it completely.

YOU......SHALL NOT.......PASS!!!

Um, yes i shall actually. I think it's awful, sorry. I don't think GTG when i look at this, i think of a Marvel super hero. I don't see Ian McKellen in it AT ALL either.
He looks like he's about to fly off that rock to answer the latest SOS call from Middle-Earth, not helped by that billowing 'cape' effect. I also agree it's odd how the hat is sitting.
As to that laughable attempt at 'weathering' and 'mud' on his cape, well, the less said about that the better.

Looks great...weta owned again.

:lecture What he said.

You guys need your eyes tested. Or replace your Sideshow-tinted spectacles ;)

Sorry, but this statue is a BIG fail for me, and remember i love polystone statues but this is too cartoony, even more so than the Gandalf on the balrog diorama! :lol

Last edited:
Back