For Your Consideration: The Dark Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After Johnny Greenwood's score for "There Will Be Blood" was disqualified last year by the Oscars I gave up on that award from the academy. They have some serious catching up to do with their rules.

I think this movie by far deserves both without looking at the others !.

:rolleyes:
you couldn't make a more stupid remark towards all the other FILM-fans here...

Don't you know that the Oscars are not a comic book event...it is a movie-event. The best movies are rewarded...not the best comic-movies, (some fanboys seem to forget that :))

but saying that TDK deserves to win without even looking at the competitors is just stupid. IF it would win in some categories (wich I do hope) I at least would like to know wich movies it has beaten...

Also, it is a big achievement for a comic book movie to get a campagne started for the nominations in categories as Best Director and Best Film and Best supporting actor and Best Actor....for a comic book movie. This is the first time in history that a comic book movie is a serious player for the Oscars...you should be proud of that. That is truely historical!

People who are sceptical of comic book movie-nominations for an oscar in categories as best Film/Director/screenplay/Actor/ Supporting Actor would be glad to use such stupid comments like the one you made as an argument against such nominations as typical narrowminded fan-boy reaction with no sense for taste what so ever.

Personally, Heath DID do a good job, and it is fair to think that he will get nominated for Best supporting actor.
Will he win? fanboy or not, he did a terrific job BUT it depends on how strong the other candidates are...personally I think it is realistic that he could win.

Best director? dunno, who are the other candidates? but I think not
Best film? nomination would be great, but, winning I doubt it.
Best screenplay? nomination I think will happen, and winning would be deservered, because that is what made this movie stand out to the rest of comic book movies, it is really adult...so let's hope so!

technical nomination it could win certainly. Begins even got nominated for its photography, so I don't see why TDK, wich is superior to Begins technically wouldn't get nominated at least in this categorie...(the first movie with imax cameras ever)

The movie has been nominated for best picture and best supporting actor , I don't think its just Heath making this movie so special.
Regardless of how awesome his performance is the movie is brilliant.

Nominated Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain.

lol, you speak as if the movie is already nominated in those categories :)
the movie isn't even officially nominated in those categories dude...the list has yet to come out.

this is a campagne from WB, you know, the studio that made TDK, who hopes to get some nominations...

Last edited:
Although, someone correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Johnny Depp win best actor for Jack Sparrow? If he did, then Heath's got a good chance because Ledger Joker has all the engaging and entertaining qualities Sparrow has.

actully he just got nominated
+ Al Pacino also got nominated for best support in his role as mob-boss in ^^^^ Tracey...

so do not bother about the fact it is just a comic book character. The nomination for Ledger will be there, but I think winning it would be not unrealistic..

No offence to the adverts themselves, they're wonderfully done, but it does seem somewhat odd to have an advert nominating a Batman film but not actually having Batman on it

I think they're trying to steer away from the fact that it is a Batman movie. :lol I mean come on who ever thought that a Batman movie would be an Oscar contender?

actually, there is a similar poster from WB for Christian Bale for Best Actor....

Last edited:
If Heath dosent get an oscar I am going to be so pissed but I know the oscars have never given nominations to hyped up big summer blockbuster movies so will see.
star wars'
titanic
pirates'
lord of the rings'
jurassic park's
indiana's
spider-man's

the list goes on and on with the most commercial, big, hyped, summer, block buster movies...

Truly GOOD movies (you know, those things that actually entertain us) never win Oscars.

Movies like in the list above do not win oscars? wrong, they all made oscars, but not always for Best Film...but I guess you meant in the categorie: Best Movie, right?

If taste is personal and subjective, why are there Review and list with top 100 and top 250 etc?
Because I do believe there is certain concensus about good taste.
And good story telling is a very important factor in making a good movie. (that is what makes TDK stand out of the rest in the genre...if it makes a change, it is because of that alone!)

When I was like 10 years, I loved Steven Segal movies :)
Now that I am older I do not find his movies "good" and oscar worthy :rolleyes:
THOUGH I do still enjoy them :) but it is a different kind of appreciation. The kind of appreciation that has nothing to do with good quality movies. At the end of the day, I will still enjoy a Segal movie, I will laugh, have a popcorn, etc...but putting it next to something like "Good Will Hunting" I can see the difference... I you know what I mean.

And if the Acadamy every nominate films like Steven Seagals...just because of the high popcorn-value as I like to call it, than that would be in my opinion a wrong criterion...
But The Dark Knight hás a good story that can compete with non-comic book movies, so I think it even has a chance for nomination...
And so I bet, you will turn around your critique about the oscars criterion of nominations if the Acadamy actually give TDK a oscar for Best Film :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It'll probably go to some stupid end of the year film called something like "Mel Ablique" and with some newcomer supporting actress named Fracis Dremario.

The film will have also grossed only $300,000 domestically, but it will be held high with critical acclaim.

This is why I like the MTV Movie awards. At least they are films people give a damn about.

Yeah, Twilight should win best picture!

And I disagree....I mean, I LOVED Transformers, but I wouldnt have it win against No Country for Old Men....

:rolleyes:
you couldn't make a more stupid remark towards all the other FILM-fans here...

I stretched the truth because I'm a huge fan of the movie , obviously I don't think it deserves it without looking at the rest.
Its as if you don't understand humour.
Don't take thing so seriously !. :monkey1
That came across as rude. :google:rotfl

I stretched the truth because I'm a huge fan of the movie , obviously I don't think it deserves it without looking at the rest.
Its as if you don't understand humour.
Don't take thing so seriously !. :monkey1
That came across as rude. :google:rotfl

Don't fret uscmhicks, Riko is very rude going by my past posts with him.

Anyways, I love the score.

I still say so far, TDK is the best of the year. Nothing has surpassed it. Iron Man came oh so very close. But The Joker is just the winning ingredient for me.

I still say so far, TDK is the best of the year. Nothing has surpassed it. Iron Man came oh so very close. But The Joker is just the winning ingredient for me.

Couldn't agree more. I was surpsied how great the IM music was too.

It's a lot more 'superhero generic', but I still enjoy it.

I'm talking about the movie....

But the IM music and TDK was good as well.

Rambo had the best soundtrack all year, I thought.

star wars'
titanic
pirates'
lord of the rings'
jurassic park's
indiana's
spider-man's

the list goes on and on with the most commercial, big, hyped, summer, block buster movies...

Movies like in the list above do not win oscars? wrong, they all made oscars, but not always for Best Film...but I guess you meant in the categorie: Best Movie, right?

If taste is personal and subjective, why are there Review and list with top 100 and top 250 etc?
Because I do believe there is certain concensus about good taste.
And good story telling is a very important factor in making a good movie. (that is what makes TDK stand out of the rest in the genre...if it makes a change, it is because of that alone!)

When I was like 10 years, I loved Steven Segal movies :)
Now that I am older I do not find his movies "good" and oscar worthy :rolleyes:
THOUGH I do still enjoy them :) but it is a different kind of appreciation. The kind of appreciation that has nothing to do with good quality movies. At the end of the day, I will still enjoy a Segal movie, I will laugh, have a popcorn, etc...but putting it next to something like "Good Will Hunting" I can see the difference... I you know what I mean.

And if the Acadamy every nominate films like Steven Seagals...just because of the high popcorn-value as I like to call it, than that would be in my opinion a wrong criterion...
But The Dark Knight hás a good story that can compete with non-comic book movies, so I think it even has a chance for nomination...
And so I bet, you will turn around your critique about the oscars criterion of nominations if the Acadamy actually give TDK a oscar for Best Film :rolleyes:

Sure, good movies get nominated for certain categories. They can't pick three "art" films and nominate them for everything, that would be a little too transparent. Though, I'm sure they would like to. And when movies like 'Star Wars' wins a secondary category like Best Sound it just feels like it's being dismissed with a "pity" nod. "Sure, the movie sounds good, but it sucks in every other way". And nominees/winners are NOT always accurate reflections of quality story telling. Two good examples: 'Monster's Ball' and 'The English Patient'. I've never seen two movies that were more loosely tossed together, meandering, pointless and pretentious in my life. Both were huge "Critic" favorites. Look at the fan base and legacy of something like 'Star Wars' or Indiana Jones. Do you think anyone will give a damn about 'The English Patient' in 30 years? I think you're half-right. I think there are two general concensus regarding taste: the general public and the critics. If you aksed a critic the best film of all time would likely be 'The Godfather'. If you asked a regular Joe it would problaby be 'Star Wars'. If you compare the legacy of the two; box office, influence on fans and today's film makers, impact on the industry, etc. it would definitely be 'Star Wars'.
Your point about Segal movies is a good one, and kinda says what I was trying to say. If I'm entertained, if it's a movie I would buy on DVD and watch again, then to me it's a GOOD movie. It doesn't have to win some award to validate it for me. Also I will turn on something, even if it's good, if it's over-hyped. That happened recently with 'No Country For Old Men'. If I had a chance to simply watch it, I may have liked it. But you have every critic in the world hitting you over the head, telling you that you MUST like this movie or you're stupid..... that's an instant turn off to me. To this day I hate 'The Godfather'. It's in that small group of movies that, if you don't love it completely you owe, I mean literally owe, people an expalnation as to why you don't. That's irritating beyond belief. It's just a mafia movie, a subject I care nothing about, filled with over rated actors I don't care for.
I like movies that entertain me; movies I wish I had written and show me characters I would want to be and stories I would like to be a part of. 'Star Wars' does all of these things for me. A movie like 'There Will Be Blood' does NONE of those things for me. That guy is a mierable, viscious prick. Who would want to be that guy, or want his life? It may be a good movie "technically" but it did not move me or inspire me at all. I dislike the way movies are broken down when they're "value" is being judged, too; score, cinematography the technical value of someone's performance based on the criteria learned in a semester of film school before flunking out and becoming a "critc"..... All of those criteria, to me, are like CGI: if they're truly superior, I won't notice it, it will just work for the story. If the cinematography stands out as its own entity, it pulls me out of the story just like bad/flashy CGI.

There Would be Blood is great. Daniel Plainfield is one of the most evil, yet funniest characters ever.

"I'VE ABONDONED MY SOOOONNNN!!!!"

"MILKSHAKE!"

Just awesome.

There Would be Blood is great. Daniel Plainfield is one of the most evil, yet funniest characters ever.

"I'VE ABONDONED MY SOOOONNNN!!!!"

"MILKSHAKE!"

Just awesome.

There Would be Blood = There Will Be Blood

Daniel Plainfield = Daniel Plainview

I've ABONDONED MY SOOOONNNN!!!! = I've Abondoned my child!

I'm very tried. And my trian of thought is off.

Who the hell is Plainfield???? Why did that name come up...?

Glad to help. But I really want to know where Plainfield came from. Like I really thought that was his name.....

I think its fair to say that TDK was the best film of the year and to mention it in the same breath as the more arty, poncy films the academy prefers to vote for. I think you take away from your statement about TDK being the best of the year by following it up with 'but Iron Man came oh so close' - people would easily then categorise your opinion as nothing more than that of a sci-fi/fantasy superhero fanboy. Because Iron Man, while a perfectly serviceable 'classic style' superhero film doesn't have the depth and intelligence of TDK. It would nowhere near be considered an oscar contender for anything other than special effects in any movie year. No disrespect to it. However TDK ought to stand a chance of being taken more seriously by those 'serious' people.

Back