For Your Consideration: The Dark Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's completely bias of them not to include superhero movies for such awards, but at least TDK is competing. And certainly deserves some recognition, it was the best movie of 2008 without a doubt.

Latest nominations....

BAFTA:

Best Picture
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Director
Best Make up and Hair
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Costume Design
Best Music
Best Lead Actor
Best Supporting Actor

ASC (cinematography award):

Best Feature

Latest nominations....

BAFTA:

Best Picture
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Director
Best Make up and Hair
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Costume Design
Best Music
Best Lead Actor
Best Supporting Actor

ASC (cinematography award):

Best Feature

Those are not final. From the BAFTA site:
The first nominations have been announced and the full list will be revealed on Thursday 15 January.

Writers Guild nominations just announced. Oh look, it's The Dark Knight!:banana:chew
https://www.awardsdaily.com/

Oh wow, this WGA site is really reassuring, TDK-wise. Does this usually influence the Academy's final decisions? I'm really tired of these pretentious films that were designed to snag Oscars. At least TDK had honesty because it wasn't designed to snag Oscars, all its filmmakers wanted to do was create a great summer movie.

Can't wait for the BAFTA...

Is good to see it breaking down barriers, the academy has needed a good kick up the ass over these things and has been a long time coming since they even gave Sigourney Weaver her nomination for Aliens and Return of the King winning best picture. Hopefully this will be the start of changing times.

I don't think that the Academy has been prejudiced or guilty of previously overlooking worthwhile candidates, it's just that I don't think that there have been "comic book movies" in the past that actually deserved serious Oscar consideration (outside of some of the technical categories). Nolan has given us one of the best films of the year--regardless of the genre. I can't think of any previous comic book movie that I would consider nominating for Best Picture as I would TDK. As with Return of the King, I don't think that the Oscars have finally caught up with genre movies so much as genre movies have finally caught up with the Oscars in terms of quality.

I don't think that the Academy has been prejudiced or guilty of previously overlooking worthwhile candidates, it's just that I don't think that there have been "comic book movies" in the past that actually deserved serious Oscar consideration (outside of some of the technical categories). Nolan has given us one of the best films of the year--regardless of the genre. I can't think of any previous comic book movie that I would consider nominating for Best Picture as I would TDK. As with Return of the King, I don't think that the Oscars have finally caught up with genre movies so much as genre movies have finally caught up with the Oscars in terms of quality.

I would like to echo this statement. There really hasn't been a movie based on comics that has been as well made in all the categories such as acting, directing, story, etc., until TDK. I don't know if it will win (of course I would like it too), but it should be definitely nominated. And after watching the behind the scenes stuff on the blu-ray, Nolan should definitely be nominated as well.

*I am assuming that Heath Ledger will for sure be nominated.

Back