For Your Consideration: The Dark Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottomline when it comes to the people who count (i.e. the people who nominate and vote), there was ZERO talk. Period. Like I said, if fans decided who won what Ahnold and JCVD, Steven Segal, etc. would all have Oscars. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.

I don't know. Maybe it should be the fans who vote. Yeah, Arnold and those guys would have Oscars and Rambo would have been voted Best Picture but at least that would reflect what the movie goers decide. People who pay to see movies are the reason they can be made, thus also the reason for the awards. As it is these things are decided by a very small handful of critics and the like; people with their heads so far up their ass their mouths are right back where they started. People who think anything NOT starring Woody Allen is complete crap. A movie doesn't have to be a 3 + hour "epic" love story to be good, but try telling them that. If they're not voting for the giant love fest, they're swooning for some tiny little "art film" :rolleyes: Complete lack of budget does not automatically equal genius. Thankfully though that attitude mostly went out of style with the 90's. Truly GOOD movies (you know, those things that actually entertain us) never win Oscars.

Is TDK all it's cracked up to be? Art is subjective and it's all personal taste. Does "majority rule" make it great? Before you answer that remember we're dealing with a society full of people who need a warning label to tell them not to use a hairdryer in the shower. If something is great to you personally, then it's great. It's all rather pointless to argue if the movie is great, or why it is or isn't. To a lot of people it's the greatest thing ever filmed. To others it's just a pretty good movie. Who cares what it wins, or why? Look at how the whole system of the Oscars works. If you really love a movie, do you actually want it to win? Doesn't really help me, knowing something I love has gained the approval of people I don't trust or respect.

Show me a clip of an entertainment show (on tv or online) that mentioned Heath for an Oscar before he died. Show me an article (print or online) of any entertainment company that mentioned that. Bottomline when it comes to the people who count (i.e. the people who nominate and vote), there was ZERO talk. Period. Like I said, if fans decided who won what Ahnold and JCVD, Steven Segal, etc. would all have Oscars. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.

People on those shows dont count either.

And after the december trailer, MOST people said he can pull it off. Only a few Burtonnites were angry.

Show me a clip of an entertainment show (on tv or online) that mentioned Heath for an Oscar before he died. Show me an article (print or online) of any entertainment company that mentioned that. Bottomline when it comes to the people who count (i.e. the people who nominate and vote), there was ZERO talk. Period. Like I said, if fans decided who won what Ahnold and JCVD, Steven Segal, etc. would all have Oscars. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.

I do not remember much doubts about Ledger's ability after the first trailer was shown. I recall the majority of people wowed by his performance in the trailer and many claimed that "they didn't even see Ledger they saw the Joker."

And of course there was no Oscar buzz prior to his death.....Ledger died in January and the film was released in July. They probably hadn't even finished the final cut at that time. If no one had seen the film how is it possible to have an Oscar buzz?

I do not remember much doubts about Ledger's ability after the first trailer was shown. I recall the majority of people wowed by his performance in the trailer and many claimed that "they didn't even see Ledger they saw the Joker."

And of course there was no Oscar buzz prior to his death.....Ledger died in January and the film was released in July. They probably hadn't even finished the final cut at that time so how could there have been an Oscar buzz?

exactly,my sister is a huge fan of ledger's and after we saw the dark knight she said "oh my god, that was heath ledger!" like she forgot who he was or that it was him playing the part. when you sit back and realize that the joker was the dude from a knights take,you're taken back a bit and are like "whoa,I can't belive that's the same guy".

how can there be an oscar buzz for someone when there movie isn't even released ?.
Alive or not ?.

I think if he was still alive it would be the same.
The movie has been nominated for best picture and best supporting actor , I don't think its just Heath making this movie so special.
Regardless of how awesome his performance is the movie is brilliant.

Nominated Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain.

He hadn't passed away when this movie was released but still he was nominated.
Yes , its a shock that a superhero movie is getting these nominations but think about it.

The dark knight in most of peoples opinions is by far the best superhero movie.
The movie featured Christian Bale , Heath Ledger , Morgan Freeman , Aaron Eckhart , Michael Caine , Gary Oldman , Maggie Gyllenhaal , Cillian Murphy and so on who have all won and been nominated for countless awards.
A well known and great director who has also been nominated and won countless awards.

list

The script was great , the whole team behind the movie seemed to give 110% and in the end it came out brilliant.
This movie in most peoples minds isn't even really classed as a superhero movie. Because Nolan went so deep with Batmans story in Begins, showing him growing up , training and having such push to do the things he did all in one movie it really built up hype for the Dark Knight. Whilst most movies just let the first half hour show how the main character(s) became " superheros " Nolan built a whole movie around this.
Begns itself was nominated for an oscar . Best Achievement in Cinematography , Wally Pfister.
Heath Ledger was an amazing actor and had pure talent. Regardless of what movie you might be in if you show an amazing performance which he did , why not be nominated ? .
If your answer is because this is a superhero movie , sure , why not. But if any movie should break this rule it should be this one. Change happens.
I think this movie deserves both awards regardless of who might of sadly passed away.

Sure , Heaths death might of made more people go and see the movie and might of added more memory to it but if this is the one true reason that the movie and Heaths performance has been nominated I don't think these awards are even worth caring about anyway.

Last edited:
Felt like making one of these myself.

FYCTDK1.jpg

Honestly whether he wins or not or even if he's nominated, doesn't change the fact that he was great in it. Best Batman movie so far imo and I like Heath's peformance/portrayal even more than Jacks in the 89 Batman.

I think his performance was so good, he at least deserves a nomination. Not sure about a win, though. It's not like an Oscar is gonna do his career much good.

I loved the score....but, i'm not too worked up about it. I thought Brian Tyler did a great job this year with his Rambo score....which I think is my favorite of the year.

Back