Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh Trank tweeted this today :lol

" A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would receive great reviews. You'll probably never see it. That's reality though"

https://twitter.com/joshuatrank

Poor guy :lol

I really hope this doesn't affect his career, I'm actually against fox on this. Even i'd like to see Marvel get the rights back after all this crap, once you hire a director you should let him do his job, the movie reeks of studio interference.

I feel bad for the cast as well. After all this Simon Kinberg escapes, and he was the least talented person working on this movie, he's written one good movie and I'm sure he didn't even have much to do with how good DOFP came out, considering how many writers were on that film before he got in.

Well that's straight up wrong, but what reports are you talking about besides Josh Trank's stoned tweets?

Reports several months ago that Fox got Trank and Vaughn to do the reshoots, and on Collider movie talk John Campea said that he heard from credible sources that Fox removed 3 huge action set pieces to lower the budget. Google it. It all adds up with the reviews with people saying that the first act is solid and the other two acts are pretty much a rush job.

Last edited:
I've never been this happy about a movie failing before :lol

This is tho generation's batman and robin lol

Last edited:
Google it.

iu

Fox can go squat on a cactus.

And Trank? Have fun flippin' those burgers, dood.

(Katsuhiro Otomo called--he wants his royalties. :pow)

What was it Max Landis tweeted? Oh yeah: "Karma"
____

You would think from the reviews that Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR would be an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2-level atrocity.
That certainly isn't my opinion.

Fans bitched and hated on the 2005 version and it's sequel for being too cheesy. To me, they were pretty faithful, tonally, to the jokey/family-oriented stories originally told by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in the early 60's. If that first film was released today, exactly as is, by Marvel Studios as part of their ongoing cinematic universe, fans would eat it it up (though it may need a different Johnny Storm.)

This new version takes only the basic concept of those iconic characters and reimagines them in a story that asks how real people would react to experiencing such an incredible and traumatic event. More than anything, it's a 50's style horror flick, in the vein of the sci-fi/monster movies that inspired Stan Lee to write comics in the first place. There are scenes that are genuinely frightening and go further than anything I've seen in a Marvel-based film since BLADE.

Now a serious, horrific tone doesn't make for a great movie, but it does make it an interesting one. On the other hand, the pacing of the film seems off, and gets less interesting by the second act. The uneven structure doesn't do any favors to characters like Ben Grimm and Susan Storm, who are underdeveloped and not given much to do. As Grimm, Billy Elliot doesn't have a fraction of the charisma of Michael Chiklis, and looks too tiny to be taken seriously. And as The Thing, his voice is so over-modulated, anyone could have mo-capped the entirely CG monster.

Once again, Dr. Doom is the character in name only, but Toby Kebell has genuine presence and functions well within the story they're trying to tell.
If you're a fan of the comics, treat this as a standalone, Elseworlds take on the characters. If you just want to see an interesting sci-fi flick, forget the critics and go in with an open mind.

At the end of the day, the all-new FANTASTIC FOUR isn't perfect, but with a director's cut to flesh things out, there's a pretty good movie in there.

The show was awesome, the childhood part with Reed and Ben was perfect, then as they got rolling, this seemed like a really good Sci Fi flick, I basically forgot I was watching a FF movie, but then.... wow, it's like they seriously took a pretty fun ****ing first half of a flick and then told Uwe Boll to go full retard on it.

Damn shame too, because I was thinking this is the beginning of something great. All that build up for that last part of a B movie second half? :slap

and then told Uwe Boll to go full retard on it.
There's only 2 settings though:
-Not Uwe Boll.
-Uwe Boll full retard.

So far the 2 people who've seen it here, you and Dr Mirakle seem to like the 1st half, I wonder if we'll see a documentary about this movie in the future.

I didn't mind the obligatory comic booky climax, but I did start to lose interest during the second act. Things pick up once Doom becomes an issue.

iu

Fox can go squat on a cactus.

And Trank? Have fun flippin' those burgers, dood.

(Katsuhiro Otomo called--he wants his royalties. :pow)

What was it Max Landis tweeted? Oh yeah: "Karma"
____

I'm guessing you do care, considering I was replying to Yonose and all :lol

You would think from the reviews that Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR would be an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2-level atrocity.
That certainly isn't my opinion.

Fans bitched and hated on the 2005 version and it's sequel for being too cheesy. To me, they were pretty faithful, tonally, to the jokey/family-oriented stories originally told by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in the early 60's. If that first film was released today, exactly as is, by Marvel Studios as part of their ongoing cinematic universe, fans would eat it it up (though it may need a different Johnny Storm.)

This new version takes only the basic concept of those iconic characters and reimagines them in a story that asks how real people would react to experiencing such an incredible and traumatic event. More than anything, it's a 50's style horror flick, in the vein of the sci-fi/monster movies that inspired Stan Lee to write comics in the first place. There are scenes that are genuinely frightening and go further than anything I've seen in a Marvel-based film since BLADE.

Now a serious, horrific tone doesn't make for a great movie, but it does make it an interesting one. On the other hand, the pacing of the film seems off, and gets less interesting by the second act. The uneven structure doesn't do any favors to characters like Ben Grimm and Susan Storm, who are underdeveloped and not given much to do. As Grimm, Billy Elliot doesn't have a fraction of the charisma of Michael Chiklis, and looks too tiny to be taken seriously. And as The Thing, his voice is so over-modulated, anyone could have mo-capped the entirely CG monster.

Once again, Dr. Doom is the character in name only, but Toby Kebell has genuine presence and functions well within the story they're trying to tell.
If you're a fan of the comics, treat this as a standalone, Elseworlds take on the characters. If you just want to see an interesting sci-fi flick, forget the critics and go in with an open mind.

At the end of the day, the all-new FANTASTIC FOUR isn't perfect, but with a director's cut to flesh things out, there's a pretty good movie in there.

Pretty much, saw it today and it's nowhere near as bad as reviews say. I enjoyed it much more than AOU and Ant-Man but it definitely felt like plenty of scenes were cut. I certainly think a director's cut would make this a decent film. The 3rd act feels like it was directed by someone else, and that's probay because it was :lol

I love the idea of a sixties FF.

Michael Chabon (Kavalier & Clay, Spider-Man 2) wrote a treatment for a Fantastic Four movie set in a retro sci-fi world similar in tone to the original comics.
His script involved inter-dimensional portals where the FF discover a dystopian parallel reality where everything has gone wrong.
That dimension, of course, turns out to be our world.

Surely the studio dolts must have intentionally sabotaged this project, right?

Way to go, 21st Century Fox. :clap
(Now let Doom come home to Marvel)

post-32858-homey-clown-animated-gif-8n2X.gif

____

The show was awesome, the childhood part with Reed and Ben was perfect, then as they got rolling, this seemed like a really good Sci Fi flick, I basically forgot I was watching a FF movie, but then.... wow, it's like they seriously took a pretty fun ****ing first half of a flick and then told Uwe Boll to go full retard on it.

Damn shame too, because I was thinking this is the beginning of something great. All that build up for that last part of a B movie second half? :slap

I agree, the movie had so much potential, but halfway in it takes a turn for the worst. The editing was horrible and that third acts was abysmal.

I actually hope Marvel gets the rights back because of how poorly Fox messed up this movie. I'm honestly interested in a Trank's cut.

I agree, the movie had so much potential, but halfway in it takes a turn for the worst. The editing was horrible and that third acts was abysmal.

I actually hope Marvel gets the rights back because of how poorly Fox messed up this movie. I'm honestly interested in a Trank's cut.

Two posts up you just got done saying you enjoyed FF4 *much* more than AOU and Ant-man, and then finished this post saying you want Marvel to get the rights back..... sorry, that just makes no sense to me. You should either commit to liking the movie with the understanding that Fox did ok and should do another, or the movie was **** so Marvel should have it back. I know you were one of the only people that stood behind the movie, and maybe feel like you have to like it to save face.... but it is ok to be wrong about a movie. Most of us wont beat on you too much :)

Back